Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
fas_ny
0 Kudos

Re: Replacement Nook Color USB Cable - Help I only have 33% power left

Thanks for this tip!  It was very helpful.  My cord broke and I was researching replacing it and came across your info.  I called and I will be receiving my new cord next week. :smileyhappy:

New User
DeathScouter

The "plug shape" itself is a standard mini USB, the problem is the DEPTH of the connector.  A standard USB cable will not reach the contacts within the Nook.  So even if you plug in a standard cable, it will be useless.   I don't know why (in this tech-age) that B&N decided to offer a product that uses a proprietary connector, but some idiot production manager approved it... and it's a PIECE OF JUNK!!!    The length of the plastic plug versus the mobility of the Nook itself makes the metal connector a high-torque pivot point.  It doesn't take much effort at all to bend your connector and render it useless.     B&N should GIVE replacement cables for the life of the Nook because the design was so poorly thoughtout   I am online now, ordering my THIRD cable since getting my NookC last christmas.    I LOVE my Nook, but the design of the cable is really really bad.  

Hey B&N, if you read your own site... in the name of good "customer service", stop charging for the cables or our NEXT tablet purchase will not be one of yours!

New User
Firstsailor
0 Kudos

Nook Color charging cable is bad. A standard Type A to micro-B cable appears to work, but is slow.

I agree with DeathScouter on the cable design.  It is terrible.  The cable's "special" long micro USB connector will not support much torque at all before it breaks from or bends in its housing. My daughter's broke 2 months after purchase, and my wife's is on the way with about a 10 degrtee bend in it.  (Unfortunately my daughters was a refurb unit out of warranty and my wife's is just out of warranty.)

At very least, Barnes and Noble should make a cable with improved design available for purchase and include the improved design with new units shipped.  The current bad design should have been withdrawn and replaced some time ago.  As far as I can tell, replacement cables are still of the same design!  This is really inexcusable. 

If you are looking for a cheap backup solution for charging then a standard Type A to micro-B connector appears to work to slowly charge a turned-off Nook color.  I had such a cable in a drawer of odd cables I keep around and tried it.  When the Nook is turned on, it senses that it is connected but does not say that it is charging.  Turning the Nook off, though, allowed it to charge fully overnight.

New User
larry1941
0 Kudos

i had a broken cable also, i went to frys and got a standard usb a/micro and it works charging the nook with the charger, only problme is it does'nt chow when its charging.

i also repaired my broken cable by disassembling the micro end and resoldered all the leads to the little circuit board, they are marked with the proper color   black green white and red wires in the cable..i'll use that for a backup.

New User
TermiNader

Thanks to the posters with the recommendation to call B&N Customer Service - 1-800-843-2665.

Give them the device serial # (located on the back of the SD card flap) and the e-mail address you used to register your device to the B&N site.  They will mail you a replacement.

New User
CeeCeeIL
0 Kudos

Charger/sync replacement cable that works!

I don't want to get too excited about this yet, but I seem to have stumbled on a non-BN sync/charging cable that works with my NookColor.

While waiting for a replacement from BN for my cable that broke, I started using the original cable that charges and syncs my Palm Pre Plus cell phone. I've found that it will charge my NookColor (can't compare the speed to the BN cord, but it is fully charged in the morning if I plug it in at night.)  Today I tried to use it as a sync cable, plugging it into the USB port on my computer, and IT WORKED!

I tried a generic micro-port cable, and it did not even register on my NookColor, so I believe it must be the OEM Palm cable. These are much less expensive and more readily available than the BN cable, however, so it may be a good alternative.  The least expensive one I found was at:

http://www.amazon.com/Palm-Original-Smart-Adapter-Charging/dp/B002ITKQKU/ref=sr_1_7?s=wireless&ie=UT...

for $3.70.

Distinguished Bibliophile
MacMcK1957
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I've used the charger from my Blackberry for my N1E and NST and it works just fine. I'm told the Nook Color normally uses a higher-amperage charger, so if you use one from another device it charges slower, but works otherwise.

Contributor
skgoli
0 Kudos

Thanks for this tip. Got my replacement cable.

Reader
jetblkeyes

Call 1-800-The-Book You must have your serial number and the email you registered your Nook with. When you talk to a representative tell them you need a replacement cable for your Nook Color. After you give them your information they will ship you a new one completely free.

Now I don't know if that applies to those who are past their base warranty date- I am still within my warranty time so mine  will be here in 3-5 days

New User
LadyDo
0 Kudos

My cable broke, I took it to B&N, found the proper replacement, and they simply gave me the new one, no questions asked.  The clerk said the company is aware of the design flaw, he apologized and I was out the door wearing my happy face.  How cool was that?!  Give it a try.

Distinguished Wordsmith
Froide
0 Kudos

TermiNader wrote:

Thanks to the posters with the recommendation to call B&N Customer Service - 1-800-843-2665.

Give them the device serial # (located on the back of the SD card flap) and the e-mail address you used to register your device to the B&N site.  They will mail you a replacement.

Thanks for that advice.  I phoned on Wednesday afternoon, and received a replacement cable and adapter this morning (Friday).  FYI, neither of my local stores would give me those items; but they were more than willing to sell them.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. ~Groucho Marx
Reader
JMinor
0 Kudos

I must add that you will need another cord within a year.  I am on my second Nook Color USB Cable which also now needs to be replaced.  The housing at the micro USB end of the cable actually came apart.  Of course, since I've had my Nook Color since late March of 2012, it is 'out of warranty' according to Customer Service.  I believe that it is time for a Kindle Fire from Amazon.  They don't have a proprietary 'extra long' micro usb end - one can use a normal micro usb cable to charge it and connect it to a computer.  Also, the apps are more appropriately priced on the Amazon marketplace - have you noticed?

Reader 2
jessicaIL
0 Kudos

I use any MIcro usb cord to  charge my Nook and I have the First edition, I also charge my phone with my nook cord, and the phone cord to charge my Nook. 

JP
New User
HSPatton
0 Kudos

Re: Nook Color charging cable is bad. A standard Type A to micro-B cable appears to work, but is sl

Amen to crappy desogn for what would otherwise ba a great product. I LOVE EVERY THING ABOUT MY NOOK EXCEPT THE CABLE. I am on the 5 th since buying the two i have and already the one remaining has started bending, i havent even used the nooks while they are plugged in, which is why I bought the second one. But at 20 bucks a throw it is worth abandoning the nook for the Fire even if it is proprietary. I cant afford books for replacing cables. At least at Amazon I can use my touchpad that takes standard motorola plugs that can be bought at less than a third the price, and i have nevet had one fail. Probably because the engeneers at HP had better sense to put tye cable on the bottom. I suspect the engineet for the maker of the nook placed it there to facilitate boaed deaign since the n switch is there, although the rrset switch is on the side.
New User
HSPatton
0 Kudos

The palm cable is a standard Motorola mini. It is what mymotorola and HP touchpad use butdoes not charge the Nook nor is it recognized by it, even if i use the longer one that serves the touch pad.bythe way both are older thanthe nook andhave never hadneed od a newcable.
New User
HSPatton
0 Kudos

Amen to that. You hearthat BN.Thats the sound of your business running away because of the stupidity of your techs and your failure to come up with a solution. Oh did i mention that proprietarydesign hasbeen the undoing of every tech busuness since the caveman learned to make arrow heads.
New User
HSPatton
0 Kudos

This is not an issue with first editions which use the standard plug. I still have the original cable on the first editionand i use it all the time even plugged in and it is one of the very early on es made.
New User
ronaldMA
0 Kudos

I have an importantupdate to this issue.

My power cable started looking dodgy after about 6 months, and got weaker & bendier, but didn't break until month 16.  (Warranty is 12 months.)  I called B&N tech support & they said they couldn't replace it for free because it was out of warranty (although the guy said that they can replace it for someone 1 month past, i.e., month 13).  I asked to speak to a supervisor and spoke to "Nasim."

I explained that during the warranty period, it wasn't broken yet -- it was clearly showing fatigue and was on its way out, but functioned perfectly well.  It was only in the 16th month that it actually broke.  I said it wasn't clear to me that I could call to have it replaced during the warranty period since it was still actually working at that time.

Nasim did me a solid and replaced it for free, but said they don't usually do that.

So here's my advice:  11 months after you get your Nook Color, carefully examine the power cable.  If it's showing ANY strain, call to get it replaced for free.  If you wait until it's broken, it may be too late for the free replacement.

New User
Jnookie
0 Kudos

Blessings to you. I did the same thing. i finally found the cord at Office Depot.
Reader
ReneeSuz
0 Kudos

Mine broke today.... I did nothing but pick it up.... end fell apart.

I called and no replacement because out of warranty period

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 14 members 452 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: