Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Wordsmith
gstone
0 Kudos

Re: Replacement nook?

erdman42 wrote:

You are also conveniently ignoring the part of the warranty where it RIGHT BELOW that states that they will refund the ENTIRE purchase price instead of replacing it. So they will give you your money back if you don't want a replacement (all $150 of it) but they will not replace it with a new NOOK? 

....B&N will, within a reasonable period of time, at its option and at no additional charge, do one of the following:

• replace your nook with a new or certified pre-owned model of equal or greater value; or
  • refund the purchase price you paid for your nook.

It reads at their option not your option. Any company is going to do what is financially responsible for them. Simplifying this;

• If a pre-owned unit is available you get that;
  • If no pre-owned units are available you get a new unit;
  • if nothing is available you get your money back.

You need to read the whole thing, not just clip parts out of context  then interpret it to your advantage. This is pretty standard stuff, nothing unusual here. You may want to read the warranties for other products you purchased.

Wordsmith
gandalf1369
0 Kudos

Ya_Ya wrote:

EDIT:  Gandalf is not just all-powerful.  He's quick, too.  :smileytongue:

Ya_Ya . . . . Nah - it's just that great minds think alike!!!!!   :smileyvery-happy::smileyvery-happy:

**** He Who Dies With The Most Toys Wins ****
Frequent Contributor
MumsySC
0 Kudos

I received a certified pre-owned device today as replacement for a Nook that has a known defect (cracked button on the lower right-hand page forward button).

I haven't even turned on the new (old) device. Or broken the seal on the packaging.

I am angry. If something I had done caused the damage, I would be happy with a pre-owned replacement (if it worked). However, this is a known defect. B&N should stand behind their product, not hide behind their warranty.

Wordsmith
ProfReader
0 Kudos

They are, they gave you a Nook that is in factory new condition,they have taken care of their obligation.

MumsySC wrote:

I received a certified pre-owned device today as replacement for a Nook that has a known defect (cracked button on the lower right-hand page forward button).

I haven't even turned on the new (old) device. Or broken the seal on the packaging.

I am angry. If something I had done caused the damage, I would be happy with a pre-owned replacement (if it worked). However, this is a known defect. B&N should stand behind their product, not hide behind their warranty.

Frequent Contributor
MumsySC

ProfReader, I agree. They have taken care of their obligation.

Don't get me wrong, I love my Nook. I love B&N. I just have a hard time with a company replacing a product that broke due to a known defect with a used version of that product.

In my world, "factory new condition" doesn't equal "new."

Scribe
frantastk

{sigh} A website for readers who don't read. 

Fran

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,015
0 Kudos

MumsySC wrote:

Don't get me wrong, I love my Nook. I love B&N. I just have a hard time with a company replacing a product that broke due to a known defect with a used version of that product.

This is an old argument. You are trading a used NOOK that doesn't work for a used NOOK that's in perfect condition. This is what essentially all consumer electronics manufacturers do. If your NOOK was brand-new, you could take it back to the store to exchange it for a new one. But it's not brand-new, and expecting to exchange it for a brand-new one is unreasonable.

The argument is moot, anyway. It's a pretty sure bet that B&N doesn't have new NOOK 3G units to send out. The 3G is reportedly out of production, and B&N announced they'd pretty much sold out their entire stock of all NOOK models by Christmas. If you want a new Wi-Fi unit, they might be able to accomodate you.

Personally, I love my refurb. It's in better condition than the one I had was when it was new. It's great, and I couldn't ask for more.

Frequent Contributor
MumsySC
0 Kudos

I hear you, Doug.

My issue is not with replacing broken used Nooks under warranty with a working used Nook, it is replacing a Nook that broke due to a known defect with a used Nook.

There is a distinction to be made. If the Nook broke due to my negligence, I would not expect a new Nook. However, it did not. It broke due to a design defect. Why should I be penalized for that?

I'm over it now, have unwrapped the replacement Nook and plugged it in to charge.

Inspired Correspondent
ivers
0 Kudos

I am glad to see that you finally opened it! :smileyhappy:

Happy reading!

Wordsmith
shilohMD
0 Kudos

MumsySC:  why are you cross-posting this?  Your complaints (which you reiterate  ad nauseum) have been answered many times elsewhere by many good folk...yet you persist, saying essentially that you just don't like being mistreated.

You're of course entitled to your opinion -- and I urge you to read and consider the good replies you're getting.

It just wastes the time of a lot of people when you cross-post...not necessary, as many of us participate on several Boards.

And cross-posting is considered a breach of etiquette...bad dog!

(See...this is why we need an Admin/moderator)

"A bookstore is one of the only pieces of evidence we have that people are still thinking" [Jerry Seinfeld]
Frequent Contributor
MumsySC
0 Kudos

I am sorry if I offended.

Wordsmith
shilohMD
0 Kudos

MumsySC wrote:

I am sorry if I offended.

No offense...sorry if I seemed a little cranky.

Welcome to NookWorld!...your reading life will never be the same! :smileyhappy:

Enjoy!

"A bookstore is one of the only pieces of evidence we have that people are still thinking" [Jerry Seinfeld]
New User
Alenderman
0 Kudos

has anyone tried to return their defective nook to the B&N store in person? Just wondering if they will accept that. I have a nook that i've had for less than a month it now has lines running up through it. I was wanting to see if i could just return it and get a 3 g instead of just a wifi.

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

Alenderman wrote:

I have a nook that i've had for less than a month it now has lines running up through it. I was wanting to see if i could just return it and get a 3 g instead of just a wifi.

You'll probably have success with this if you have a gift receipt.

The actual return period is 14 days, but you are supposed to have 60 days to exchange for store credit.  If it's under a month old, they'll probably take it, give you $149 in store credit and let you pay the $50 difference.  

It shouldn't matter that it has any sort of screen issue, either.  Since it has been opened, they can't sell it as new and will have to send it to be refurbished, so I can't see why the screen issue would or would not matter.

New User
brownsinger2004
0 Kudos

Yes I had a question a few days ago my NOOK WIFI 's touch screen down at the bottom stopped working is there any way I can fix it or will i have to return it to where i got it ?

Inspired Correspondent
ivers
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Is the battery charged? I would try plugging in your nook for a couple of hours to make sure that is not the issue, then try rebooting it by holding the power button down for 20 seconds and turn it back on to see if that has resolved whatever screwy thing was happening.

Try troubleshooting using suggestions from the Nook Support page

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/u/nook-support-troubleshooting/379002495/?bnit=H&cds2Pid=35611

If that doesn't help, bring it to a B&N store so the nook person there can take a look at it.

New User
angelaira
0 Kudos

I just have a question for anyone who works at Barnes and Noble. I recently had to get my Nook replaced. I guess after reading the posts on here I got very very lucky, because they were out of the 3G devices when I asked for my replacement, and I got a simple touch reader instead. I was kind of happy about this, but also a little bummed that my Kate Spade cover that I paid full price for now doesn't fit, but I guess that is why we have e-bay...

Anyway, my question is, how does the warranty work on this new device? Is it one year from the day I got it, or is it whatever warranty was left over from my old device, or 90 days whichever is longer? Can I buy an extended warranty for this new device? I tried to ask these questions on the phone, but there was a bit of a language barrier unfortunately. Thank you for any information you can offer!

Frequent Contributor
MikeNC
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

angelaira wrote:

I just have a question for anyone who works at Barnes and Noble. I recently had to get my Nook replaced. I guess after reading the posts on here I got very very lucky, because they were out of the 3G devices when I asked for my replacement, and I got a simple touch reader instead. I was kind of happy about this, but also a little bummed that my Kate Spade cover that I paid full price for now doesn't fit, but I guess that is why we have e-bay...

Anyway, my question is, how does the warranty work on this new device? Is it one year from the day I got it, or is it whatever warranty was left over from my old device, or 90 days whichever is longer? Can I buy an extended warranty for this new device? I tried to ask these questions on the phone, but there was a bit of a language barrier unfortunately. Thank you for any information you can offer!

From B&N's standard warranty terms on the web site:
"WHAT WILL BE THE WARRANTY PERIOD IF MY NOOK IS REPLACED?

If your NOOK is replaced during the Warranty Period, it will be covered by this Limited Warranty for the remainder of the original Warranty Period or ninety (90) days from the date of shipment of the replaced NOOK, whichever is longer."

The fact you got an N2E does not alter the warranty terms, it just means that B&N was unable to replace your device with the same model due to lack of inventory.  And I don't think you can add the B&N protection plan as it has to be added at the time of purchase (unless I'm wrong on that and it can be added later?).

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 43 members 299 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: