Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Contributor
Katie_798
0 Kudos

Replacement nook?

After a year, my nook finally cracked and the screensaver imprinted on the screen and now there are a bunch of lines that are going vertical in the corner of my screen. Luckily, it happened now instead of two months from now when my warranty is up.

I've heard complaints about B&N sending a refurb (?!) as a replacement. I paid for a new one and since it's not my fault it broke, I would really like to get a brand new one. Is there any way to request this? I don't get to call B&N back to request my replacement until Monday because when I bought the nook from the store, the saleperson didn't correctly input my warranty for a year; he put it in for four days! So when I call back, is there anything I can do to make them respect my request for a brand new nook?

Any help would be appriciated, thank you!

And please, no complaints about me wanting a new nook rather than a refurb. Since my warranty will be up soon, I want a nook that is going to last me another few years without any defects.

Wordsmith
wordsandmelodies
0 Kudos

Re: Replacement nook?

Precisely what do you expect us to do?  I'm sure you have read past threads on this subject, since you are aware that B&N is shipping refurbs.  You have read that some people are frustrated that they were unable to get a new device, and that other people are pleased with their refurbished replacement.  You don't want to hear about anyone's experience with their replacement NOOK.  And if there were a magic wand that could be waved to procure a new NOOK, people would be talking about it.  They aren't.  You want a brand new NOOK for a 10 month old device, and you are bound to be dissatisfied.

Inspired Contributor
Katie_798

Actually, I would be very interested in hearing from anyone that has had a refurbished nook for more than just a few months so that I would be more comfortable accepting a refurb device if it comes to that.

Correspondent
rfruth

You know how it goes, some people swear by referbs others swear at them ...

N1E - HD+ soon ?
Frequent Contributor
Bugeyed
0 Kudos

You understand that the warranty on the replacement unit will be for the balance of your original warranty.

k

Inspired Contributor
Katie_798
0 Kudos

What do you mean?

Inspired Contributor
Paginate
0 Kudos

The warranty does not start over.  For example, if you had 4 months left on your original nook warranty, your replacement (new or refurb) will only have 4 months left on its warranty.  The only exception would be if you had less than 90 days left on your original warranty.  In that case, they will extend the warranty to 90 days.

Inspired Contributor
Katie_798
0 Kudos

Oh haha, yes I did realize that. This is the main reason I will absolutely fight a refurb and demand my money back if they insist on one. I don't know how well refurbs work and since I don't know where they've been, I would prefer to have a new one since my warranty will be up soon.

Reader
sassyredhead
0 Kudos

I've had a refurb for a month, and it failed to turn on one day.  I tried a hard re-boot per a customer service rep's instructions.  When my nook finaly rebooted (after much ado and strange incantations), the first screen that appeared asked me to register my nook.  Well, after 5 failed registrations, the customer service rep asked me to check out the serial number on the settings screen.  The serial number was a 0.  Yes, a zero.  The rep promptly told me that I had a defective nook and we went through the exchange process . . . for the second time.  My first nook had defective plastic molding and the page-turning keys split in half after a few months of use.

I am not against refurbs, but I am worried that my 3rd nook will be a flawed device, too.

Just my experience with a refurb.

Reader 2
28north
0 Kudos

I just got a replacement nook because of cracks on the page-turning buttons. I didn't realize it would be a refurbished model until it arrived. I have nothing against refurbished models, but the fact that BN is not upfront about this when I called about a replacement makes me leary. Hopefully, they are just taking back the cracked models and relacing face-plates, but who knows.

Wordsmith
Michael-V

Please be assured that a NOOK that has been replaced was replaced with a fully functional device. It has received a thorough inspection, testing, and cleaning by our dedicated NOOK service team.

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

Katie_798 wrote:

This is the main reason I will absolutely fight a refurb and demand my money back if they insist on one. 

You can fight all you want, but as its in their terms and conditions that they may send you a refurbished unit you probably won't get what you want.

From the warranty terms (emphasis mine):

When B&N receives your nook, it will examine it and determine whether it is covered by this Limited Warranty. If, upon examination, B&N determines that your nook is covered by this Limited Warranty, B&N will, within a reasonable period of time, at its option and at no additional charge, do one of the following:
  • replace your nook with a new or refurbished model of equal or greater value; or
  • refund the purchase price you paid for your nook.
If B&N replaces your nook, B&N will bear the cost of sending a replacement nook to you, freight prepaid.
THE FOREGOING IS YOUR SOLE AND EXCLUSIVE REMEDY FOR BREACH OF WARRANTY OR FOR ANY OTHER CLAIMS OTHERWISE RELATING TO THIS LIMITED WARRANTY.

They choose whether they are refunding your money or sending you a replacement new or refurbed.  By keeping your NOOK past its 14 day return window, you approved of their terms.

I won't get into whether or not they are right to replace 8 month old devices with refurbished units or not.

Inspired Contributor
Katie_798
0 Kudos

So there isn't anything I can do to get a new nook from them? :/

Wordsmith
gandalf1369
0 Kudos

Katie_798 wrote:

So there isn't anything I can do to get a new nook from them? :/

Nope - as Ya_Ya said, by keeping your nook past the 14 day return period you accepted the terms of the B&N warranty.  You can try to convince Customer Service to send you a new one but you shouldn't get your hopes up.  Besides, there is nothing wrong with a factory refurbished model and if there is you can always send it back although you probably won't have to. 

**** He Who Dies With The Most Toys Wins ****
Inspired Contributor
Katie_798
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

gandalf1369 wrote:
Besides, there is nothing wrong with a factory refurbished model and if there is you can always send it back although you probably won't have to.

I thought I could only return it and get it fixed if it was under the warranty?

I'm very confused :smileysad:

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

Katie_798 wrote:

gandalf1369 wrote:
Besides, there is nothing wrong with a factory refurbished model and if there is you can always send it back although you probably won't have to.

They don't fix them, they send you a different one, refurbished or  new.  Pretty much the same as if you return your iPod, Kindle, cell phone, etc under warranty, you don't wait for them to fix it, they just replace it.

Inspired Contributor
Katie_798
0 Kudos

gandlaf1369 wrote:

Katie_798 wrote:

gandalf1369 wrote:

They don't fix them, they send you a different one, refurbished or  new.  Pretty much the same as if you return your iPod, Kindle, cell phone, etc under warranty, you don't wait for them to fix it, they just replace it.

Okay I understand. So they don't fix it if it breaks, right. But after the warranty is up, they won't send me a new one even if it broke due to a factory default.

Inspired Contributor
Katie_798
0 Kudos

I apologize for my lack of knowledge :smileysad:

Inspired Bibliophile
LarryOnLI
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

@Katie_798,

If you are out of warranty B&N will not replace your NOOK, even if due to a manufacturers defect (hard to think of one of those that takes a full year to appear though).

When you return your NOOK under warranty for repair, they will at their discretion replace it with a refurbished unit.

The unit you receive in return will be covered for the length or your remaining warranty UNLESS your remaining warranty is less than 90 days. In that case they will cover the replacement NOOK for 90 days.

This is so that you can be confident that in the unlikely event you do receive a defective unit, you will still have 90 days to get it replaced.

Contributor
bageloid
0 Kudos

My refurb nook i recieved under warranty is having issues. I already had to full reset it once and the battery meter is stuck at 93%.

Guess who is calling B&N again tonight?

I would have gotten a refund but I used gift cards, so I'm stuck with it.

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 4 members 252 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: