Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Wordsmith
Michael-V

Re: Replacement nook?

@bageloid,

Use the following procedure to restore functionality to an unresponsive NOOK.

Initial conditions:  Ensure NOOK is properly ejected or unplugged from any AC outlet or USB power source prior to performing this procedure. You will need a clear space with good lighting as there are small parts which may become lost in the battery removal portion of this procedure. 

Equipment: (1) Jewelers screwdriver (Phillips-head size 0 or 00), (1) USB cord w/charger.

1)      Remove NOOK back plate to expose battery.  To do this, find the tab on the bottom of your NOOK, near the Micro-USB slot. Gently pull away the back-plate from your NOOK until the back plate is fully removed.  A click will be heard indicating the back plate has been properly separated from the device.

2)      Upon proper removal of back plate, the battery will be exposed. The following step will have you remove the screw which holds the battery in place. Using the specified screwdriver, loosen the battery securing screw which holds the battery in place (Counter-clockwise to loosen). Continue loosening until screw can be completely removed.

Caution: The battery securing screw is very small and can be easily lost, proper lighting and a flat clean surface is recommended.

3)      Remove the battery from the NOOK for 15-30 minutes.

4)      Once the battery is removed, hold the power button down for 45-60 seconds.  This ensures the NOOK will receive a final shutdown command and discharges all residual power.

5)      After 15-30 minutes has elapsed re-insert battery into NOOK and re-install battery securing screw.

6)      At this point you should fully charge your NOOK using your NOOK USB and charger with any standard AC wall outlet.  Charging can take up to 4 hours so be patient. At some point in the charging process the charging LED should illuminate and your E-Ink display may cycle on and off.

Upon successful completion of this procedure your NOOK should be returned to a normal working status. If a “?” is displayed in the battery icon, it is recommended you insert a different NOOK battery momentarily then re-insert the original battery to clear the “?.”

Contributor
bageloid
0 Kudos

Last time I had an issue they made me drive 30 minutes to a starbucks.

No thanks, if it has to be opened to be fixed, then it's broken enough for it to be replaced under warranty.

Inspired Contributor
Katie_798
0 Kudos

For any of you doubters :smileyhappy:

It is possible to be firm enough with Barnes and Noble! I was the pushiest I think I've ever been and I extracted a promise from a supervisor that I will be sent an almost brand new nook that is Certified Pre-Owned and she assured me these are the nooks that someone opened, looked at, and returned. She gave me her name and put her name on my account information that the B&N Customer Reps have access to incase there is a problem and I'm not shipped the proper nook as I was promised.

It's not new, but it's as good as!
Just some hope for all you people out there that don't want a refurb. Pushy is the key!

Contributor
bageloid
0 Kudos

I'm fairly sure they only have one SKU for pre-owned/refurbished nooks. The one I have to call B&N about is certified pre-owned and had issues from the start, the start being friday.

You got trolled.

Bibliophile
bklvr896

Katie_798 wrote:

For any of you doubters :smileyhappy:

I will be sent an almost brand new nook that is Certified Pre-Owned and she assured me these are the nooks that someone opened, looked at, and returned. 

Not sure exactly what you think you got, since you got a refurbished Nook which is what you said you didn't want, but as long as you're happy.  And how are you going to tell it was one that someone opened, looked and returned vs one that was returned for another reason and refurbished.

New User
nkbrk3
0 Kudos

Good luck with your replacement Nook.  I've gotten so many promises I've given up.  B&N currently has my original Nook and the replacement they sent which didn't work from day one.  It's been almost two weeks and I still haven't seen a replacement. On Friday 11-12, a "supervisor" said he would make sure that I would get a quick shipped replacement and I still haven't seen any e-mails for the 3rd Nook.............  Promises, promises!!

Frequent Contributor
kellar

I'm on Nook #5...It's "refurbished", or "certified pre-owned", or whatever you want to call it.  Bottom line, it's used. Very used.

Michael-- in my case they haven't looked that close at the replacements they ship out. One replacement had a very obvious button problem with the turn of the first page and got shipped back the next day.  Nook #4 had screensavers and wallpapers from a previous owner on it and did was doing odd things, but their wedding did look nice.  It was the buggiest one I've had so far and it was replaced with another buggerierer one. The tech promised me that the next one (5) would be looked over more closely before being sent out. Um....not.  Nook #5 has had some issues out of the box and had to do the factory hard reset right away, which didn't fix much. I have to reboot it a few times while trying to read. It bugs out of the book and back to the library just for grins I guess without saving my place. Nook4 also did that, and I bet Nook6 will too.

I was so fed up with the crappy refurbished models that I almost bought a new nook, but then decided it's the same thing and I'd be doing the replacement dance soon.  I had a NookColor on order and cancelled that due to all the replacement problems with my classic nook.  I'm skeptical that the Color wouldn't fare any better with a other issues since it's a touch, but we'll find that out soon enough.  I believe it took about 3 or 4 months for the page turn button cracks to turn up on the original wave of nooks. I do hope the NookColor will be more successful.

All I want to do is read, not become a Nook Tech. I don't want to do hard resets, remove batteries, unscrew parts, or baby the page turn buttons so they don't crack too quickly.  I don't drop them, leave them out in the weather, or read under powerlines.  I have the extended warranty but haven't seen any benefit to it.

The quality control isn't there on the refurbished/certified pre-owned models for me at least. Am I expecting too much from B&N to send me something that works for more than a month? Granted my original brand spanking new nook lasted about 4 months before the button cracked, but the refurbished models don't last long. Some lasted hours, some have lasted a month.  No technology is perfect, and I get that.  But it's a pain in the ass to do this over, and over.  ::Insert definition of ereader insanity here::

Even after all this, I still prefer the Nook over the Kindle, and I've had both.  Go figure.

I'm on the verge of calling tech support for Nook The 6th.

I must be the happiest-unhappiest nook owner. Ever. 

Wordsmith
Michael-V

Can you send me a Private Message with your name, account email and a contact phone number in case we need to reach out to you...?
We want to help.

Wordsmith
Michael-V

@kellar,

Can you send me a Private Message with your name, account email and a contact phone number in case we need to reach out to you...?
We want to help.
Contributor
satellite

I agree, we paid for a new nook, a new nook should be furnished if/when it becomes defective within the warranty period. 

The only thing I can say in consolation is, welcome to the world of sometimes faulty technology. I was a bit miffed too at the refurb B&N sent after the buttons cracked, but it's happened before with an LCD TV I had ordered that was dead after a month -- the company sent me a refurb. But, the TV has worked flawlessly since. 

I can't speak for the nook refurb's longevity as I just got mine, but if you are still upset over this you can file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau, and/or the attorney general for the state in which B&N has its headquarters to see what happens.There are also many consumer affairs departments on the Internet you can contact. Just Google it.

Without mentioning companies or situations, I have done this myself for similar situations and can say that I have been pleased with the outcomes.

Good luck if you go that route.

Inspired Contributor
Katie_798
0 Kudos

I got a certified pre owned. Had it for a few days now and it's working fine, except that it's having problems today with connecting to my school wireless network.

Wordsmith
Michael-V
0 Kudos

@Katie_798,

Try this...

1.  Tap on the WiFi tab.

2. Tap on the Wi-Fi hotspot

3.  Tap on the connected Wifi (the one that has the check mark)

4. Tap on Forget

5.  Reboot your NOOK (Hold the power button down for about 20 seconds.  Then hold down the power button for about 4 seconds to restart)

6.  Scan again for Wifi hotspots and then reconnect.

Please let me know if this worked for you...

Contributor
aronan3
0 Kudos

Katie_798 wrote:
 But after the warranty is up, they won't send me a new one even if it broke due to a factory default.

Correct:  they treat it the same way they would treat your original one.  If that had not broken until month 13 (rather than in month 8) of ownership, you would receive nothing under the orginal warranty.  You would be stuck with the broken Nook.  The same is true of the refurb.  If it should break down in month 12 of your ownership, you are protected under teh warranty, but not if it breaks down in month 13.

The warranty is covering you for 12 months.  You don't get extra time if your original device breaks down at some point during that 12 months.

Distinguished Correspondent
BelgianAlien
0 Kudos

I can see your point about a refurb for a 10 month old device... my friend bought her nook 5 weeks ago and the darn thing is getting replaced... I DO take issue with replacing a device that's only a few weeks old with a refurb. 

-----------
Always read something that will make you look good if you die in the middle of it. ~P.J. O'Rourke
Reader 2
mwtemple
0 Kudos

For what it's worth, I've had a good customer service experience when returning my nook.  I had had it for about six months when the right-hand page button cracked.  They shipped me a refurbished model, which worked fine (I just had to upgrade the software, since it came installed with an older version).  I've had the refurb for about five months now with no problems at all.

New User
erdman42
0 Kudos

I read the warranty information and want to know, if it says that they will replace it with something of "equal or greater value" why do they replace it with something of lesser value? The value of the new NOOK that I bought (that is defective and under warranty) is $150 and the refurb one that they replaced it with is valued at $99. In my opinion, that is a violation of their warranty because they ARE NOT of equal or greater value. If they won't give me a new one as a replacement, then I will probably just get my money back, because their certification process is crap.

Distinguished Correspondent
very-simple

[ Edited ]

erdman42 wrote:

I read the warranty information and want to know, if it says that they will replace it with something of "equal or greater value" why do they replace it with something of lesser value? The value of the new NOOK that I bought (that is defective and under warranty) is $150 and the refurb one that they replaced it with is valued at $99. In my opinion, that is a violation of their warranty because they ARE NOT of equal or greater value. If they won't give me a new one as a replacement, then I will probably just get my money back, because their certification process is crap.

Your nook is not worth $150.  The very second you removed it from its packaging, it began to depreciate in value.  If your nook had no damage and you had simply returned it within the 14-day return window, it could only be sold as a refurbished device at that point and time.  Just like with an automobile, any electronic device immediately loses value the second it is sold.  

Edited to add:

In addition, you're ignoring the part of the warranty where it explicitly states that B&N may send you a refurbished nook as a replacement.  Ignoring inconvenient warranty terms doesn't mean they don't exist.

New User
erdman42
0 Kudos

You are also conveniently ignoring the part of the warranty where it RIGHT BELOW that states that they will refund the ENTIRE purchase price instead of replacing it. So they will give you your money back if you don't want a replacement (all $150 of it) but they will not replace it with a new NOOK? 

Wordsmith
gandalf1369
0 Kudos

erdman42 wrote:

You are also conveniently ignoring the part of the warranty where it RIGHT BELOW that states that they will refund the ENTIRE purchase price instead of replacing it. So they will give you your money back if you don't want a replacement (all $150 of it) but they will not replace it with a new NOOK? 

And you are conveniently ignoring the part of the warranty where IMMEDIATELY ABOVE THAT it states (emphasis added by me):

When B&N receives your nook, it will examine it and determine whether it is covered by this Limited Warranty. If, upon examination, B&N determines that your nook is covered by this Limited Warranty, B&N will, within a reasonable period of time, at its option and at no additional charge, do one of the following:

• replace your nook with a new or certified pre-owned model of equal or greater value; or
  • refund the purchase price you paid for your nook.

So let us know how it goes for you in getting B&N to refund $150 to you . . . . .

**** He Who Dies With The Most Toys Wins ****
Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

erdman42 wrote:

You are conveniently ignoring the words "at its option."

EDIT:  Gandalf is not just all-powerful.  He's quick, too.  :smileytongue:

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 49 members 952 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: