Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
Sycamoetree
0 Kudos

SD card books unshelving

I'm waiting for the definitive answer on this as to whether I have a problem unit or not.  I suspect this is software issue on all Nook simple touch: Books on the SD card that are shelved become unshelved when the unit is rebooted.  This is ridiculous.  The Gen 1 nook I had never did anything like this.  And it didn't do it when I unplugged the USB after using Calibre to manage or anything else.  The books on the SD card STAYED ORGANIZED.  If I have no way of organizing hundreds of books I have on my SD card it's crazy--I have to sift through pages and pages alphabetically to get to a book.  What is up with this??  If they didn't fix it with the 1.1 update, are they ever going to?

Inspired Correspondent
SuperC142
0 Kudos

Re: SD card books unshelving

I'm sorry- my answer isn't going to be definitive, but it's relevant.  I have a lot of sideloaded books, but I store them on internal memory rather than an SD card.  However, my sideloaded books stay on my shelves after a reboot both, before, and after the 1.1 update.  Is storing your sideloaded books on internal memory an option for you?  If so, that might be a workaround.

Inspired Wordsmith
gstone
0 Kudos

I just created a couple shelves to see what happens when I power off. Books on the SD card are unshelved after a power cycle.

Did this just start with the 1.1 update or has it always been this way?

Contributor
Sycamoetree
0 Kudos

I found out today from store personell (who contacted corporate) that it is a known issue and it will be addressed in the next update by late Jan, 2012. (but I wouldn't hold my breath).  This is really a setback from the original nook which had no such issue and I must say I'm shocked that they missed this or didn't care. 

I have too many books to put them on the main memory so I'll just have to deal until the update.  I am SO looking forward to them resolving this and I suspect that it really is not a deep and intensive project.  They just have to make the machine stop unmounting the drive every time you power it down.  But I love so many other things about the unit, I'm willing to hold out till then and deal with paging through and/or searching to get to my titles. (sigh)

Contributor
Mellobob
0 Kudos

I have totally given up on the shelving "feature" on the nook. To be kind, it is hopeless broken.

However, I have found that by using Calibre and a SD card I have all my books organized in a directory structure ... all the books by "author A" are in one folder, etc. By using the fold view on the nook (that the icon with 9 little squares at the top right, not the list view) finding a book becomes much easier.

I'd prefer a nested list view since that would give me more per page.

Contributor
Sycamoetree
0 Kudos

Yes, and that reminds me of another gripe with the shelving on the new one.  When you have shelves set up, only about 3 or 4 show up at a time because they have them so far spaced apart vertically. Then you press a down or up arrow to see more.  On the 1st gen, you could swipe like an ipod or iphone and see the whole list swish down and that was a pretty quick way to get further down on the list of shelves.  I really do like this machine but they just need to do some tweaking.  I know they can get it right.  Come on B & N--have your IT step up to the plate and get this right.

Reader 4
geekgrl
0 Kudos

I am having the same problem and it is incredibly disappointing.  I was so excited to buy the new Nook, but I find myself wishing I hadn't given my 1st gen to my daughter.  I've had more problems with crashes, organization and loading books in the 4 months that I've had my Simple Touch than I ever had with my 1st Gen Nook.

The shelf thing is close to pushing me over the edge to looking into a Kindle.  I have 400 books sideloaded (partially because the memory on the device is so small)

Contributor
Sycamoetree
0 Kudos

I wouldn't give up on it.  At least it uses Epubs.  With the Kindle, you're limited mostly to buying their proprietary format.  By the way, I took the time to set up shelves and I'm just not powering down the unit.  I let it go to suspend and just wake it up.  So far it keeps the shelves.  Obviously I have to pray I don't have to reboot it or all my work is gone and it's back to reshelving everything.  But maybe I'll get lucky and not have to reboot until B&N comes up with a firmware fix.  I think if enough people complain about this maybe they'll get the message.  At least they're telling me they're going to correct with the next upgrade in January.

Reader 4
geekgrl
0 Kudos

I really love the Nook, I really do.  We are a three Nook family - and I had a hard sell to my husband who thought the Kindle was the better device.  I'm absolutely thrilled with the battery life on the Simple Touch.  It's just the interface and the features that seemed to have taken a step back. 

I wish I could just depend on not powering off the device, but I had problems with a buggy book from the library the other day.  It's too hard to organize the books to spend the time on it and not have it stick.

Hopefully it will be fixed in the update.   :smileyhappy:

Contributor
Sycamoetree
0 Kudos

I've not been powering off the nook for weeks now and so far, so good. All shelving will be lost if I do but the sleep mode is all I need until the fix. I hope [fingers crossed}
Reader 4
geekgrl
0 Kudos

I'll keep my fingers crossed - I'm having problems with ghosting on a couple books (to the point where it is unreadable) that is only resolvable with a reboot, so I'm just using the search function instead..

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 53 members 1,022 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: