Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
strwberyzwld
0 Kudos

Serious "My Documents" help needed

[ Edited ]

A few months ago, all of my My Documents files disappeared from my Nook, except for the two Nook Documents (I think the User Manual and another one).  I had a few personal documents that I had converted to ePUB as well as a book I bought from ReaderStore (Sony) becuase Barnes and Noble didn't offer it.  Prior to losing the documents, I had successfully read them, so I know they were the right kinds of files.  This may have been after a software update, but I'm current with 1.4 right now.

I've spent weeks trying to figure out what went wrong.  I've tried using Calibre, ADE, rebooting, deleting and adding files via. Windows Explorer.  Nothing is working.  I've done so many things to this Nook that I am now wondering if my only option is a complete system reset to factory settings.

The latest development is that I tried a different method for uploading on ADE and now my Nook is stuck saying "Checking for New Items" in the My Documents folder.  I can cancel this, but then it loses even the two Barnes and Noble Nook documents that it had managed to keep.

My question is: Do you see anything glaringly amiss in what I've been trying, or is this something that is only going to be solved with a reset?  And, if I am going to reset, what can I expect to lose, if anything?

Thanks everyone!

New User
strwberyzwld
0 Kudos

Re: Serious "My Documents" help needed

Scratch that latest development; reboot gave me back the Nook Tour and Nook User Guide.

Inspired Bibliophile
LarryOnLI
0 Kudos

Try removing all your sideloaded content, then placing them back one or a few at a time to see if a specific file is causing the problem.

New User
strwberyzwld
0 Kudos

Thanks, LarryOnLI.  Unfortunately, I've tried that.  It seems like the Nook has somehow forgotten that it has a My Documents folder.

Reader 4
Shannon_Stacey
0 Kudos

This happened to my nook on Wednesday night. The My Docs library on the device only showed the two B&N documents, even though Calibre and the folder on my Mac both said the books were there.

Yesterday, after trying everything Google & I could think of, I spent an hour and forty-six minutes on the phone with Customer Service. Even resetting to factory settings didn't work. He ended up walking me through a sequence of timed button holds (six consecutive holds of 20 seconds each) that totally wiped it. Sitting on the phone in silence waiting for the software updates so we could move forward wasn't fun.

I'd recommend calling Customer Service if for no other reason than to make a paper trail of the issue. But be prepared for it to take a while and it was a little frustrating at first because he tried to blame me (are you sure you put it in My Documents), even though I've been using the device since February, and then he tried to blame the book. He even had me "buy" a free ebook from Barnes & Noble and then sideload it, just to prove it wasn't the original book's fault.  And make sure you remember the email and password you used because, if you have to go through all the steps I did, you'll have to reregister your nook at least twice while on the phone.

If this is going to start happening to more people, I hope they figure it out.

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

strwberyzwld wrote:

Thanks, LarryOnLI.  Unfortunately, I've tried that.  It seems like the Nook has somehow forgotten that it has a My Documents folder.

Well maybe it has.

Maybe you some how in this process lost the entire folder.

First:  Go get yourself a MicroSD card for your side loads.  If you have indeed spent weeks on this a 4 dollar microSD card is the least reward you deserve.

Sideload all of your content onto the microSD card. (You can even do this BEFORE you put it in the nook if you wish).

Then re-create a my documents (not capitalized) in the nooks main drive but don't put anything in there.

Then install the card and sideload to is with Calibre.  Be careful with Ejecting, because thats likely the thing that corrupts cards such that they lose entire directories.

New User
strwberyzwld
0 Kudos

Okay, everyone:

It appears that a factory settings restore did the trick.  I have no idea what I did to mess it up in the first place, but it is up and running now.  

Weird.  

Thanks for the answers!

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 50 members 267 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: