Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
DrPhipper
0 Kudos

Several spelling mistakes in my eBook.

I recently purchased Flight of the Intruder by Stephen Coonts, and I am finding many spelling mistakes throughout just the first 8 chapters. Words like "the" are misspelled as "die", while words like "this" are spelled as "theim". This is my first eBook that I have purchased and I am just curious if it is common to have mistakes as these in most eBooks, or if it is just the author or publishers fault.

"And behold Oppressor...a Dark Horse, and Death rides upon him. Only you will know terror, as the Dark Horse spits fire and takes your last breath."
- SixGuns
Distinguished Bibliophile
Darkkin
0 Kudos

Re: Several spelling mistakes in my eBook.

Some of it depends on the source of the eBook.  The Google free titles can be atrocious, but for the most part I haven't had any major issues.

'Of wings and words and dancing milkweed seeds...'

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,005
0 Kudos

Where did you buy it from?

If you bought it from B&N, call Customer Service at 1-800-THE-BOOK (1-800-843-2665), option 2 for Digital Support. They can check it out and let the publisher know if the e-book needs fixing.

Inspired Bibliophile
LarryOnLI
0 Kudos

This sounds like a poor eBook conversion.

Specifically this book was probably scanned and OCR'd with little or no proof reading.

I would definitely complain to the publisher of the book with a CC to B&N letting them know about the errors.

ABthree
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

@DrPhipper

Generally, it's the publisher's fault.

If a book was originally typeset digitally, that electronic file is usually converted to generate the eBook.  Some errors can creep in during the conversion process, and of course, any typos in the original are still there.  I'm currently re-reading the Wheel of Time series, and "horse" sometimes comes out "house", and similar errors that need to be interpreted from the context.  Errors are few, though.

If a book is older and was typeset through an analog process, the actual text is scanned into a computer file, then interpreted through OCR software.  This process creates a lot more errors, and requires tight proofreading to get the text right.

Flight of the Intruder is six years old.  I would have thought that was recent enough for a native electronic file to exist, but the kind of errors in your example are typical of uneditied OCR output.

You'll probably find fewer errors in future e-books, but I have yet to read one from a commercial publisher that was entirely error-free.

+LORD, preserve the good in their goodness, and+
+in your kindness, make the wicked become good.+
-- St. Basil the Great+
Inspired Scribe
orb9220
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

"I'm currently re-reading the Wheel of Time series"

Great Minds Read Alike! And am on ch. 52 Book 1

Love that Series.

Wheel of Time on the Nook!

And yep find an occasional mis-type every once in awhile.

"All I Know is...Last Night the Tele-Tubbies came out of the wall and Held Me Down while they put Devices in my Head!"
http://www.flickr.com/photos/orb9220/
ABthree
0 Kudos

@orb9220

Nice pic!

There a a few of us on here -- check out JdiennoPSU's signature.

-- St. Basil the Great+
Scribe
JdiennoPSU
0 Kudos

orb9220 wrote:

"I'm currently re-reading the Wheel of Time series"

Great Minds Read Alike! And am on ch. 52 Book 1

Love that Series.

Wheel of Time on the Nook!

And yep find an occasional mis-type every once in awhile.

I remember that chapter!!

“Lightning, Rand. I was looking right at the window when it hit the bars. Lightning... ”

Great Great chapter! Mat is my favorite character of all time (just look at my signature)!

- JJ

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain.

FACT: Childhood cancers are the #1 disease killer in children - more than asthma, cystic fibrosis, diabetes, and pediatric AIDS combined.
Inspired Scribe
orb9220
0 Kudos

Yep always go back to the series every 3-5 yrs. or so.

When I want to be immersed into a detailed world of wonder

for a couple of months.

"All I Know is...Last Night the Tele-Tubbies came out of the wall and Held Me Down while they put Devices in my Head!"
http://www.flickr.com/photos/orb9220/
Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

I don't get it....

2006 books were almost certainly written in electronic form, and the publisher would still have the digital galleys.  Scanning errors in such a recent book is almost certainly out of the question simply because it was not likely ever scanned.

Unless Coonts had a spat with the original publisher and had to step back to his earlier manuscript (because publishers retained rights to their work) there should be no reason this wouldn't be a letter for letter replicate of the printed page.

ABthree
0 Kudos

@icebike

That was my thinking, too.  This book shouldn't be showing this level of errors, but apparently it is.  Another imponderable, I guess.

-- St. Basil the Great+
Inspired Bibliophile
LarryOnLI
0 Kudos

icebike wrote:

I don't get it....

2006 books were almost certainly written in electronic form, and the publisher would still have the digital galleys.  Scanning errors in such a recent book is almost certainly out of the question simply because it was not likely ever scanned.

Unless Coonts had a spat with the original publisher and had to step back to his earlier manuscript (because publishers retained rights to their work) there should be no reason this wouldn't be a letter for letter replicate of the printed page.

I would not be surprised if the digital files had not been retained. They might have been considered an intermediate stage in the process and deleted after publication.

ABthree
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

LarryOnLI wrote:

icebike wrote:

I don't get it....

I would not be surprised if the digital files had not been retained. They might have been considered an intermediate stage in the process and deleted after publication.

That's plausible.  Flight of the Intruder was probably initially set up in late 2005 or early 2006.  Once the publisher had the paper and glue version, they had the product as far as they were concerned. 

The Kindle wasn't introduced until late 2007, the eBook market began to take off,  and suddenly the intermediate files had a new value.

-- St. Basil the Great+
Contributor
Tahniask
0 Kudos

I've been reading Nook books since the Nook first came out, and mistakes are still a problem, even in newer books.  Not just spelling, but many punctuation errors.  Plus, in most books sections that are supposed to be spaced apart are just run together.  That's the case in the one I'm reading now.   I've checked the printed versions and they are correct.  It makes reading very confusing at times.

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 39 members 780 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: