Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reader 2
jettrue
0 Kudos

Sharing One Nook, Two accounts....

I know that most of the questions here about sharing are two nooks, ONE account. But I'd like to share the nook with my daughter, and have a separate library. I like books that are a bit "steamy" from time to time, and I'd like my 11 year old to not have access to them.

Is it a big deal to "de-register" and "re-register" a nook depending on who's using it?

I'm not worried about credit card issues, she'll ask before buying a book.

Is there a better way?

Thanks!

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

Re: Sharing One Nook, Two accounts....

Reader 2
jettrue
0 Kudos

No, please re-read the title... ONE nook, TWO accounts. :smileyhappy:

Is it ok to continuously unregister, reregister ONE nook as we pass it back and forth?

Frequent Contributor
Dhanu
0 Kudos

download the Barnes and Noble reader program for your PC, then you can download the books to that program.  From there you should be able to side load the book to the Nook, it will just show up in My Documents.   Haven't tried this but it should work.

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

Dhanu wrote:

download the Barnes and Noble reader program for your PC, then you can download the books to that program.  From there you should be able to side load the book to the Nook, it will just show up in My Documents.   Haven't tried this but it should work.

I don't think that's her problem or question.  What I think she wants to be able to do is remove the all books on Nook that are under her account when here daughter is using it, and then remove her daughter's books and reload her books when she wants to use it.

What she's trying to do is let her daughter use her Nook but not be able to access the books that she buys for herself.

I would guess that the only way to do that would be to register to her account, unregister from her account and register to her daughter's account, back and forth.  It might work, but I've never unregistered my Nook so I don't really know specifically what happens when you unregister a Nook, but it sounds like a bit of effort to go through each time one or the other wants to read a book.  But, hopefully, someone who as at least unregistered the Nook can advise here.  I really don't know the answer.

Distinguished Bibliophile
ABthree
0 Kudos

jettrue wrote:

Is it a big deal to "de-register" and "re-register" a nook depending on who's using it?

Your plan should work.  As soon as you unregister the Nook from your account and register it on hers, do a "Check for new B&N content" in My Library:  all of your "steamy" material should magically disappear, to be replaced by the wholesome books you want your daughter to read. :smileyvery-happy:  That's the only way I know of to do it.

I would predict, though that within a month, you're going to find that it's too much of a hassle, and will either have to get her a Nook of her own or introduce her to the pleasures of adult literature. :smileywink:

+LORD, preserve the good in their goodness, and+
+in your kindness, make the wicked become good.+
-- St. Basil the Great+
gqb
Inspired Scribe
gqb
0 Kudos

It might be worth $149 over the long run to keep from doing all that registering and unregistering.  It could be a "spare nook" for her to let the child have when she needs it, which is what I wish more parents of middle school students would do with cell phones!

Inspired Wordsmith
Ozman69
0 Kudos

Would be cool to have a multiple accounts option available on the Nook.  Something like when you log onto a computer with multiple accounts, each user has their own little icon on the bottom display that takes them to their library of eBooks.  Not sure there would be a huge demand for this, but I'm sure it would help people in your situation.  I'm all for them getting to work on this feature just as soon as they finish giving us more options for organizing our libraries with folders.  :-)  

The above is based upon my opinion... yours may vary!
Inspired Contributor
kathi29
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I think that would get to be a huge pain pretty quickly.

My 11 year old and I each have a Nook, both registered on the same account. I know this is not your situation but my solution will work for you.

I only buy books from B&N that I don't care if she reads. All my other content is sideloaded. Even though we have separate Nooks, this allows me to keep my reading choices separate from hers. I don't mind having *her* books on my Nook because I may want to read them myself.

When you are done reading a book, or when you give the Nook to her, just take off any sideloaded content that you don't want her to access.

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

jettrue wrote:

Is it ok to continuously unregister, reregister ONE nook as we pass it back and forth?

No, YOU please read the posted link.  We understood the question fully.

You can sideload your ebooks from your  secondary account, and OTA download from your primary account.

Inspired Wordsmith
Ozman69
0 Kudos

icebike wrote:

jettrue wrote:

No, YOU please read the posted link.  We understood the question fully.

You can sideload your ebooks from your  secondary account, and OTA download from your primary account.

This person is interested in have one Nook, two accounts.  That link is about two Nooks, one account.  They want to be able to have their books on their Nook when they are reading and then switch it to their kids books when their kids are reading.  I've read that thread before and I don't believe it is related to this one.  

The above is based upon my opinion... yours may vary!
Reader 2
jettrue
0 Kudos

Thanks for the responses guys...

After testing it out and side-loading a book, I *think* that might do the trick. She might click "My documents" and stumble upon the "restricted" section, but probably not.

SO...... I'll have one account, and download whatever I want, steamy or not steamy. I'll download the steamy stuff to my computer, and sideboard it. I'll then delete the steamy stuff from "My B&N Library", so that it's only available in "my documents". When I hand the nook the my daughter, I'll be sure that the "Library" is selected and not "my documents". Does that make sense? 

If I keep all my steamy stuff separate, I think that might be the easiest option. I see a nook in her future for her birthday in November. :smileyhappy:

Distinguished Correspondent
very-simple
0 Kudos

Don't delete the stuff from your online B&N library - archive it.  That way you have a backup (that is not synced with the nook) in case you need it.  If you delete the books completely, they're gone and you'd have to repurchase them.

Inspired Correspondent
NikiGunn
0 Kudos

If you're going to use the sideloaded area for your separate books, you might just load those onto an SD card and take the card out when she borrows it. That way they're not on the Nook at all; you don't have to worry about her accidentally stumbling onto them or loading and unloading your books.

New User
Sherlock-or-Pern
0 Kudos

There are 2 other ways I haven't seen mentioned...

1. Put all of your books on an SD card.  That way, you can take your SD card out of the Nook when she's using it.  You can use a program like Calibre' to help manage the books on your Nook and transfer them onto the SD card.  Keep in mind the with DRM protection, these books can only be used on your Nook.

2. If it's a Nook HD... it should have profiles, this allows you to assign profiles to the books.  This way the books don't show on the profiles it's not assigned to.  Go to library, then tap on books.  Press and hold on a book until you get a pop up window.  Tap on assign to profiles.  Profiles with check marks are able to read the book.  Tap on a profile to check or uncheck it.

Hope this was a little more helpful. :-)  Good luck

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

Sherlock-or-Pern wrote:

There are 2 other ways I haven't seen mentioned...

1. Put all of your books on an SD card.  That way, you can take your SD card out of the Nook when she's using it.  You can use a program like Calibre' to help manage the books on your Nook and transfer them onto the SD card.  Keep in mind the with DRM protection, these books can only be used on your Nook.

2. If it's a Nook HD... it should have profiles, this allows you to assign profiles to the books.  This way the books don't show on the profiles it's not assigned to.  Go to library, then tap on books.  Press and hold on a book until you get a pop up window.  Tap on assign to profiles.  Profiles with check marks are able to read the book.  Tap on a profile to check or uncheck it.

Hope this was a little more helpful. :-)  Good luck

Sherlock, you realize you're replying to a 2010 post which was long before the Nook HD, or the Nook Color or pretty much any other Nook besides the first edition eInk device.

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 79 members 1,209 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: