Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
No_Spam
0 Kudos

Shelves Fail

So I found that after rebooting the nook (like to get it unfrozen) all the shelves dissapear. Is this normal? Is there a way to fix this since it makes the shelves feature that I've really been waiting for completely useless?

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

Re: Shelves Fail

No_Spam wrote:

So I found that after rebooting the nook (like to get it unfrozen) all the shelves dissapear. Is this normal? Is there a way to fix this since it makes the shelves feature that I've really been waiting for completely useless?

I've heard of them doing this if register and unregister, but I don't know if anyone has reported this happening after simply rebooting.  Try searching the boards, I know there have been discussions on losing shelves.

Inspired Contributor
withfeeling
0 Kudos

It may be that because the Nook crashed (frozen), the shelves were never properly stored to internal flash memory. Had you done a normal power cycle since you set up the shelves? You might want to set up a single shelf with a few books and do a normal power cycle to see if you can reproduce the problem.

Contributor
No_Spam
0 Kudos

Not sure what you mean by a normal power cycle but making a shelf and then rebooting the nook causes the shelf to disappear as does making a shelf, letting the nook go to sleep, waking it up and then rebooting. So yes, it's a consistent issue.

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

My NOOK has gone to sleep on its own, I've put it to sleep and I've completely rebooted it since setting up shelves.  None of those has caused my shelves to disappear; they're all still there.

Are you sure you didn't accidentally choose the option to "Hide Shelves?"  (My Library -->  Shelves --> Hide/Show Shelves     If the shelves are shown, your option is to "Hide."  If the shelves are hidden, your option is to "Show.")

If the shelves aren't hidden and still gone, I think you have a defective device and you need to call Customer Service.

Scribe
frantastk
0 Kudos

I've rebooted my nook about a dozen times since the update (I had wifi problems) and my shelves did not disappear when I rebooted. The only time I lost my shelves was when I unregistered and re-registered (again, hoping to fix wifi problems that eventually resolved magically on their own) and in that case I knew I was going to lose my shelves. It sounds like something is wrong with your nook. I'd call CS.

Fran

Wordsmith
Michael-V
0 Kudos

@No_Spam,

As other posters have noted, are you sure you haven't unregistered your NOOK then re-registered?  Unregistering and reregistering will remove previously saved shelves.

Contributor
No_Spam
0 Kudos

No I haven't unregistered/reregistered. I've created a shelf and rebooted multiple times. I just did it again before posting. It's a consistant problem.

Wordsmith
gandalf1369
0 Kudos

No_Spam wrote:

No I haven't unregistered/reregistered. I've created a shelf and rebooted multiple times. I just did it again before posting. It's a consistant problem.

I think at this point I would call Customer Service and discuss the issue with them.  From what you have written it sounds like there is something wrong with your nook's firmware installation.  The only other thing I can think of is to perform a "factory fallback" and then have it re-install the 1.5 firmware and see if that solves your problem.  Good luck . . .

**** He Who Dies With The Most Toys Wins ****
Contributor
No_Spam
0 Kudos

Thanks everybody, I'm glad to hear that this isn't normal and I'll have customer service talk me through reinstalling 1.5

New User
Nook_Reader83
0 Kudos

I can confirm this happens with my new Nook Color as well.  I'm okay with the device going into "sleep" mode and then waking up, but booting up after having been powered off I find that all shelves (except the default "Favorites") have disappeared.

Reader
PatheticMelody
0 Kudos

I have the same problem with my Nook Classic. As you said, booting up after having powered off , all shelf names deleted. Only Unshelved shown. I never registered my nook before. (Reading only sideloaded documents and books). This is really annoying.

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,005
0 Kudos

PatheticMelody wrote:

booting up after having powered off , all shelf names deleted. Only Unshelved shown. I never registered my nook

Shelves will not stay on an unregistered NOOK. You'll have to register your NOOK if you want to use shelves.

Reader
vnavarro
0 Kudos

I have the same problem with my nook color "shelves". I have heard and read in other postings that only registered books will stay on "shelves" after re-boot. Any un-registered books will not stay on the shelves and go back to your library. I was really looking forward to organizing all of my books. Maybe they'll soon fix this problem.

New User
SoccerMomCN
0 Kudos

My daughter turned off my classic Nook (I'm always on them to turn things off and save power) while I was sitting next to her.  It wouldn't turn back on so went home and plugged it into a charger.  When it came back on it was in new from the factory mode.  ALL books and shelves gone, brand new and unregistered.  The friendly Nook person at the brick and mortar got all my titles back on it, but all the shelves were gone and I am having to download ALL the titles again (all 300 or so), ONE BY ONE.  I'm scared it will happen again, I have a lot of shelves, too, and its such a pain to get them in the order you want after you add them, then go thru title by title and shelve them.  Bad  experience!  The honeymoon is over, why can't I turn my nook off?  I don't normally, and usually charge before it runs down, but what if I do? 

Reader
Arsinoae
0 Kudos

My nook color does the same, only a month.

Arsinoae
Correspondent
jaquellae
0 Kudos

SoccerMomCN wrote:

My daughter turned off my classic Nook (I'm always on them to turn things off and save power) while I was sitting next to her.  It wouldn't turn back on so went home and plugged it into a charger.  When it came back on it was in new from the factory mode.  ALL books and shelves gone, brand new and unregistered.  The friendly Nook person at the brick and mortar got all my titles back on it, but all the shelves were gone and I am having to download ALL the titles again (all 300 or so), ONE BY ONE.  I'm scared it will happen again, I have a lot of shelves, too, and its such a pain to get them in the order you want after you add them, then go thru title by title and shelve them.  Bad  experience!  The honeymoon is over, why can't I turn my nook off?  I don't normally, and usually charge before it runs down, but what if I do? 

I sounds like it might have gone through a factory reset, which apparently is done by holding down the power button for 20 or 30 seconds. The nook expert at the store tried this when my screen got messed up. (Thankfully, it was still under warranty and I got a replacement.)

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 15 members 558 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: