New User
Victoria_320
0 Kudos

Shop Button

I've had my black and white Nook for over a year and never had this problem.  All of a sudden I can not use the "shop" button.  I have taken the battery out and restarted it like instructed.  It still isn't working.  When I press the "shop" button it acts like it's going to take me to the proper screen, even saying in the upper left corner "shop" but before anything comes onto the screen, it reverts back to saying "nook" in the upper left corner and has a blank screen.  Anyone ever have this problem before?

Contributor
zelda11
0 Kudos

Re: Shop Button

It's not just you.  I have been trying since about 6:30am and have rebooted a couple times and am unable to get into Shop.  Also have the N1E

Contributor
RickMilw
0 Kudos

Same problem here. Started last night around midnight CST. And here I was thinking my N1E had broken.

Frequent Contributor
MaleficentIL
0 Kudos

I have the same problem.  All of sudden I can't purchase books through the 3G service.  I don't own a computer and that was the only way for me to buy my books.  Very annoyed about this.  I have unregistered and reregistered my device and nothing seems to fix it.

New User
Todd_21
0 Kudos

Same issue here happened around 5:30AM EST that I lost it.  Bought a book then suddenly can get into shop.  When I touch shop screen goes blank (both view screen and touchscreen) then see shop in upper left for a few seconds then jumps back to home screen.  Called CS they suggested unregistering then pressing off button 20-30 seconds until "READ for EVER" comes on screen.  Held the button for over a minute never got this message.  Did restart Nook but and re-registered no change though.   

Inspired Contributor
MrNook
0 Kudos

I am also having the same problem.  It seemed to have occurred last night (January 11, 2012) after 11:00 PM CDT.  My assumption here is it is an issue within B&N’s cloud.

I have not spoken with Nook CS yet, but I’m hopeful that it is resolved soon and if not then at the very least they let the community know they are aware of the problem.

Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,263
Solutions: 4
0 Kudos

Inspired Correspondent
Sandikal
0 Kudos

I'm having the same trouble.  Oh well, I shouldn't shop anyway.

Contributor
leeway63

MaleficentIL wrote:

I have the same problem.  All of sudden I can't purchase books through the 3G service.  I don't own a computer and that was the only way for me to buy my books.  Very annoyed about this.  I have unregistered and reregistered my device and nothing seems to fix it.

When did your 3G service quit working?  I'm asking because I noticed it a couple months ago, and if they are going to discontinue 3G service on a Nook that we bought because it had 3G on it, then its very inconsiderate if not illegal.

I purchased the Nook with 3G because I needed the 3G. Paid extra for it. Now it has been discontinued?

Also, along with all the others on this topic, my Shop button no longer works. Come on BN... lets do a little better than this. I have purchased 260 books on my nook in 12 months. If I am forced to upgrade it will not be to a BN product, and that is a fact.

New User
a_higginbottom
0 Kudos

My SHOP button will not work either. It just started this morning when I went to buy something from my ewishlist and could't get the SHOP page to load.

Reader 2
trboxman

I'm having the same issue as well.  I guess this increases my motivation to shop for content at other content providers.

Contributor
aprilr
0 Kudos

I am also having this problem.  I turned off Wifi and tried with just the 3G and it still won't work. My Daily is not getting anything either.

I hope it is fixed soon!!!!

New User
freecabby
0 Kudos

I have the same problem. It started last night.  I already tried this am to communicate with nook support and the reset did not work.  The shop button doesn't do anything.  However if I download and buy a book from the website it does get transferred to the nook first edition also the internt web browser works.  I am no techie by any stretch of the imagination but joined this thread since it appears to be a common issue.  What did they do to our nooks?????

Inspired Bibliophile
LarryOnLI
0 Kudos

freecabby wrote:

I have the same problem. It started last night.  I already tried this am to communicate with nook support and the reset did not work.  The shop button doesn't do anything.  However if I download and buy a book from the website it does get transferred to the nook first edition also the internt web browser works.  I am no techie by any stretch of the imagination but joined this thread since it appears to be a common issue.  What did they do to our nooks?????

Nothing was done to the NOOKS.

Obviously there was a change made to the shop feature on the servers this morning (or last night) and it is no longer working with the NOOK 1E.

I am sure it is being worked on frantically at this very moment and will either be restored soon or a software update for the N1E pushed out to get it working again.

Contributor
StanOH
0 Kudos

I have had a nook 1st edition since it first cam out, and untill last night late I can no longer shop either with wifi or 3g. I have bought over 300 books, but if this continues I will save a lot of money. Contacted nook live chat  tech support and they said to take it to a BN store????

Frequent Contributor
geertm

Frequent Contributor
MaleficentIL
0 Kudos

Thanks for the info geertm.  Too bad I didn't know this before I deregistered and reregistered.  Oh well:smileyfrustrated:

Inspired Bibliophile
LarryOnLI

De-register and re-register seems to be the lazy tech support reps answer for all NOOK problems.

Given that de-registering your NOOK will cause the loss of all shelf information as well as requiring you to re-download all your B&N content, this should be a last resort, not a first.

Distinguished Bibliophile
RHWright

LarryOnLI wrote:

De-register and re-register seems to be the lazy tech support reps answer for all NOOK problems.

Given that de-registering your NOOK will cause the loss of all shelf information as well as requiring you to re-download all your B&N content, this should be a last resort, not a first.

I don't know if this is laziness, or just a lack of deep knowledge and doing what they're told (scripted) to do at the regular (non-technical) CS and Tier 1 technical support level.

Kind of a "here, rather than waste time actually toubleshooting, tell them this; which will cure lots of issues (and we won't tell you what headaches it will cause as a result."

Having worked phones at one point (never again), in my experience, it is all about number of calls per hour, not actual issues resolved per hour, or, God forbid, fewer calls but actual solutions and a good customer experience. It's all about the churn.

When they do attempt to solve things, most CS organizations don't encourage creative problem solving, but favor consistency, trying to match issues to pre-identified solutions, and utilizing scripted approaches/responses. It makes sense on some levels, but if executed poorly (which it often is) can lead to total absurdity.

And not just at B&N.

Reader 4
Chuska

I'm relieved it's not just me.  Went to the brick & mortar store this morning, informed the person behind the nook desk of my problem & she tried to get me to buy a Nook tablet.  Didn't buy it, love my 1st gen. nook plus the fact it's e-ink technology & wifi & 3G.

Thanks for bringing up this topic.

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online:4 members 464 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: