Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Contributor
MrNook

Re: Shop Button

I'd like to add to me earlier post on this.  I tried accessing the store via the "Shop" button on a 2nd Gen. Nook Simple Touch and had no problem.  So this is definitely a problem that seems to be isolated to the 1st Gen. Nook.  (I have the 3G+WiFi model)

I guess that's one way for B&N to get 1st Gen. owners and early adopters like myself over to the latest models. ;-)

Overall I have been quite satisfied with my experience with B&N and the my nook.  This is the first real issue of any substance that I have seen in my 2+ years of ownership and I hope that that this gets resolved soon as I prefer to purchase via my nook itself as I am sometimes in a store (like B&N would like for me to be) getting liquored up on Starbucks.

Inspired Contributor
MrNook
0 Kudos

@geertm  - Thank you for providing this information.

"Some information from Nook support:

http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=​165042"

Contributor
LemonBars

Same problem, approx same start time (middle of the night). My 3G is working for the Daily and for newspaper downloads, and so is the wireless for both. I've unarchived books and downloaded them to read. The problem is confined to the Shop function.

I've turned my 1st edition on and off completely (but no un-registering, no thanks), given it a few hours to sort itself out, etc., but the Shop is still not loading (yes, reverts to the wallpaper as described by others).

Contributor
leeway63

Someone may have noted this in an earlier post, but to clarify.

I am able to use the shop function on my Droid, and turn on the wifi on my nook and shortly the book will appear on my nook.

So evidently it still updates content.

Not a terrible inconvenience at this point but still needs fixed.

There is absolutely no way I am going to un-register and re-register though. I'll take it to a store and let them do it and restore all content.

If my car is under warranty and a problem becomes obvious among a group that owns the same model, does GM expect us to fix it ourselves? No, and I will not do it with this nook either. BN gets plenty of my money and if they wish to continue getting it, they will fix this promptly.

New User
TibSam
0 Kudos

Reposted from another area re same question:

I just talked to BN tech support. They say this is now a "known issue" for 1st Edition Nooks and has been escalated to their higher level support folks.

I found that it's still possible to shop via computer and download into the Nook. Once you purchase from the store via computer, go into MyLibrary and click on the "Check for new B&N Content." The purchase will then download onto the Nook.

The problem is NOT with our Nooks.

New User
Victoria_320
0 Kudos

Thanks all for the comments.  I too was hesitant to reload everything and actually just set my Nook aside for the first time in over a year.  When I felt the waves of withdrawl (chuckle) and tried AGAIN to use the shop button and it didn't work I decided to download online like suggested above and then "move" the books to my Nook.  I hope this is the one and only time I have to do that.  I've purchased 3 books today in hopes that by the time I'm done with them this problem will be resolved.  Work fast B & N.  I have the weekend off and am a speed reader!

Inspired Contributor
MrNook
0 Kudos

The online chat with B&N CS this evening basically is that they're aware of it and working "diligently".  As someone who works in IT I can imagine there are some people this evening that are not having much fun and I wish them a quick resolution.

No one should de-register your nook and re-register it.  Do not do that as it will solve no problems and only make you waste several hours of you life that you will never get back and could have used to read with your nook.  As many have said already buying online and then "checking for new content" will get new books over to the device just fine.

I'm sure it will be resolved by Monday.

Contributor
MichelleOH

I've heard from many people (Nook fb page) that this issue is resolved, but it's still happening for me. Anyone else?
New User
Becky-FL

Mine is still not working.
Contributor
MichelleOH
0 Kudos

Thanks for the confirmation, Becky. Hopefully we can get in soon.
Contributor
the_curious_reader
0 Kudos

The problem of N1E 3G-WiFi nonfunctioning Shop button started Wednesday, Jan. 11th, and, at least for me, continues up to now, Saturday, Jan. 14th. A call to Customer Service Thursday did not help and another 24 hours later was even less helpful. As of today, where this appears to be the first posting today on this topic, are others still having this problem and is there any new information other than to wait and see indefinitely?

Yes, shopping is available at the B&N web site, and, yes, everything else is functioning properly. However, 3G eliminates the need for involving a computer or a WiFi Hot Spot, which is why it was worth paying a higher price for the N1E that included it and why I have not moved forward to a later Nook edition as they are all WiFi only. B&N has eliminated the 3G function on later editions; however, it is still obligated to give the service on the N1E models that included it, and surely their diligent search for for the solution to this malfunction will bear fruit. In the meantime, having just tried accessing Shop again with no success, my thanks go to the people who have contributed to this thread, which seems to have given more useful information than customer service up to this point. 

New User
Dliza
0 Kudos

It is already Saturday and my shop button is still not working!  I was told by technical support this would be fixed right away.(3 days ago)  How long is long enough before they inform us on what is happening and if they will be able to correct the problem??

I wish Nook would not leave us in the dark with this issue.

Inspired Contributor
robertVA
0 Kudos

I didn't actually purchase anything, but I was able to browse the eBooks and the  special offers at the bottom of my WiFi First Edition this morning, but I didn't think to note the time. I was on my home Wireless Access Point (WAP) at the time.

Inspired Contributor
KikiL
0 Kudos

I've been away from my nook all day and came home with great expectations that SHOP would work, but no go.  And it's worse than it was when it began because I can't even get THE DAILY to refresh.  That worked yesterday.  This is really going beyond annoying!  Thanks to all who keep posting so I know that I'm not alone in this. ;-)

Contributor
aprilr
0 Kudos

Unfortunately my shop button is still not working.  I also have problems getting the Daily to refresh. 

Though I am sad that there is a problem, I am glad to hear that others are having the same issue and it is not my NOOK

I hope this is fixed soon!

Contributor
StanOH

Still not fixed, plan to purchase books when fixed, not before. Finding other things todo. Plan to buy Papa Johns $11.00 pizzas on sunday with the money that I am saving, and watch Football.

Wordsmith
tmr4
0 Kudos

Shop is working in my area. The Daily refreshes also, but this seemed to take a bit longer than normal.
Contributor
zelda11
0 Kudos

8:09p ET and Shop is still not working for me.

Inspired Correspondent
Nom-de-Nook
0 Kudos

Works here, both on wifi and 3G.

Did take a weird error at first but did a force close and it all went smooth from there.

Distinguished Correspondent
Sandikal
0 Kudos

Almost 10 pm in California and it's still not working for me.

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 3 members 306 guests
Recent signins:
Please welcome our newest community members: