Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
MaleficentIL
0 Kudos

Re: Shop Button

It is now 4 days since I've been able to use the shop or daily on my 1st edition 3g Nook. It is becoming quite obvious that BN could care less if we have access to this feature or not. Very disappointed with BN regarding this matter. The whole reason people bought this version was so that we could buy our ebooks wherever we were without having to connect to wifi.
Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,015
0 Kudos

Working for me - southern California

The shop feature is working for me, both 3G and Wi-Fi, in the Orange County, CA area.

If you're still having trouble, I'd suggest turning your NOOK off to white-screen by holding the power button down for five seconds, then turning it back on.

Inspired Contributor
KikiL

It's 9:30 a.m. in New Hampshire and SHOP still doesn't work.  I'm finding books other ways -- like through my state downloadable library -- but I really want SHOP back!  I use it all the time to read reviews and find other books by the same author and to check out new books mentioned in reviews I read.  Most annoying. I may have to talk to a real live customer service rep on Monday if this isn't fixed!

Distinguished Correspondent
Sandikal
0 Kudos

Re: Working for me - southern California

Doug_Pardee wrote:

The shop feature is working for me, both 3G and Wi-Fi, in the Orange County, CA area.

If you're still having trouble, I'd suggest turning your NOOK off to white-screen by holding the power button down for five seconds, then turning it back on.

I'm in Orange County too.  I've powered off a few times and it's still not working. :smileysad:

Frequent Contributor
MaleficentIL
0 Kudos

I'm located in Chicago. I also have been doing the turning on and off and shop still doesn't work on my 3g. So I'm now on day 5 without access. As I stated earlier, it is starting to look like B&N doesn't care that we are having problems. They are more interested in getting us to buy new readers.
Inspired Correspondent
Nom-de-Nook
0 Kudos

I thought Doug's idea had merit until your post since my nook had turned itself off several days ago and I was starting up from that state instead of the normal "sleep" state (and shop works for me). 

OK, let's check firmware, I'm on 1.7 and working

anyone else?

Contributor
Maggie34
0 Kudos

In the western Mass area, still nothing.  Just finished my second online support chat, was told the issue was escalated and I would receive an update by tomorrow.  This tech made it seem as if something would be sent wirelessly to my Nook.  So we shall see, if nothing by tomorrow, I am going to be on the phone.  As others have said, it's not a huge inconvenience to use my smartphone or PC then download, but it shouldn't be necessary.

Just a curiosity thing, can anyone confirm that this was limited to Nook 1st editions WITH 3G only?  I ask because I know someone with a first gen Wi-Fi only, and never noticed a problem.

Frequent Contributor
MaleficentIL
0 Kudos

I believe it is just the 3g devices. I can buy books on the computer and those purchases can download on the 3g but I cannot access the Shop to make purchases on my 3g.
Frequent Contributor
MaleficentIL
0 Kudos

I believe it is just the 3g devices. I can buy books on the computer and those purchases can download on the 3g but I cannot access the Shop to make purchases on my 3g. The whole reason for getting the 3g was so that I wouldn't need to use a computer or wifi to make purchases.
Contributor
the_curious_reader
0 Kudos

My N1E has 3G and WiFi, and 3G is not working; since there is no WiFi in my home, I haven't tried it on WiFi yet. My grandson has an N1E WiFi only, At his home, which has built-in WiFi, he says his WiFi is working at least at home. I would surmise from this that the problem is most likely with 3G only. I am located on the East Coast, Mid-Atlantic. 

Contributor
LemonBars
0 Kudos

I'm in southern California, have the 3G 1st ed, but Shop doesn't work on the household WiFi either (just in case some of you were wondering). I can download books and newspapers and update the Daily via both 3G and WiFi --- but no Shop, no matter what method I'm using.

I hadn't realized how addicted I was to the Daily Find, however. This is a revealing time-out (although I'm sure B&N isn't happy that we crackheads have discovered our jones).

Reader 2
AmyBB
0 Kudos

Monday 17 Jan 2012

I, too, have the N1E with 3G in Massachusetts with the shop button still not working.  I even did the full power down and re-start.  And yes, I unregistered (de-registered?) and re-registered ... This is extremely unfortunate and disheartening.  

I prefer the e-ink over the color tablets and am very happy to stay with my old skool nook Classic.  Having the shop button fixed is not the end of the world: I'll still find a way to get books. However, this will color my decision making in the future when the one I currently own does die.

Reader 4
SwanNook
0 Kudos

Same problem here. I posted to their Facebook page a few hours ago and they simply deleted my question. Nice way to treat customers they've had since the beginning! I am so disgusted. They could have responded. I can't imagine what they are thinking but I will not be spending any more money on Nook books if they is how much they care!

Inspired Contributor
KikiL
0 Kudos

I just got off a chat session 499653) and was told by the agent that the problem "will be rectified within 24 hours." Apparently they didn't work on the problem over the weekend!  I guess we just have to stay tuned. 

New User
freecabby
0 Kudos

I am on day 5 too that the shop button does not work.  I have a Nook First Edition. The WIFI connection works because the web brower on the unit works and connects to the internet. As a test I bought a book online and it did show up on the nook.  So it's the shop button, which was a great convinience for shopping for books but if they don't fix it I won't be buying another book online and I won't be buying another nook.  I too spent time on IM with tech support on day 2 and they had not idea; made me reset the thing, made me de register. If it wasn't for this blog I discovered I would have thought my unit was the problem.  Clearly not if we are all experiencing the same issue.  That's pretty interesting about the FB post being deleted. Thanks for sharing. 

Contributor
leeway63
0 Kudos

Not much of a technical support forum if a BN representative cannot be troubled to post on here what is going on. 

I chose the Nook because I like bookstores and wanted to put my money into a company with an actual storefront instead of just an internet presence. 

This situation has me disgusted though about how badly it is being handled. I haven't spoken to a single person that actually pretends to care. All I hear is that if I owned a Color or a Tablet I wouldn't be having this problem.  Good luck folks, I'm going to hope this is fixed but not be counting on it, and I'm not going to worry about buying anymore Nook Books when there is a company that  sells a better product at amazon.com.

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,015
0 Kudos

leeway63 wrote:

Not much of a technical support forum if a BN representative cannot be troubled to post on here what is going on.

This is not a B&N support forum. This is a user-to-user support forum. B&N support is provided via their stores and through their phone service at 1-800-THE-BOOK (1-800-843-2665).

You can also leave notes in the Ask Your Community Manager forums, and they're supposed to get forwarded on. There is no guarantee of any response.

Wordsmith
tmr4
0 Kudos

This is really strange and appears to be a regional/locational problem. I suppose that could make it harder to track down the problem. The N1E shop continues to work with both my 3g and wifi here in the SF Bay area.
Frequent Contributor
MaleficentIL
0 Kudos

Eureka!!! I finally have access to the Shop. This morning I didn't have access. I thought I would give the unregister, deregister again; but, this time I also reset to factory settings. Yes everything was erased from the device; but, just had to use the 3g to get all my nookbooks back. Then I tried the shop button and its functioning again.
Contributor
Maggie34
0 Kudos

Just got off my THIRD online chat over this issue, and this person finally admitted that they really have absolutely no idea what the problem is, or when it will be fixed.  Just that they are "working on it", and to tell me you can order books on the computer and download new content.  Well yeah, I know that, I can also order using the nook app on my smartphone and do the same thing, but that doesn't do me any good for a couple of reasons.

On the go - which I am a lot - I don't exactly have a pc in my back pocket.  And aside from not wanting to use up battery life on my phone for something that another product with its own battery should be doing, I cannot access my nook wish list from the app.  I keep a list of books on there and periodically check prices before I order.

<shrug> Guess we're at their mercy.  I'm no conspiracy theorist, but I do wonder, if the problem was involving the Color or Tablet, if this would be lingering on so long.

An aside, does anyone know if it is possible to back track to a previous version of the software?  Since the problem cropped up after a recent update?

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 41 members 361 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: