Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
Maggie34
0 Kudos

Re: Shop Button

Also something else just occured to me, if the issue is a communication problem between the shop feature and the N1E, then why would it matter where we all are?  Wouln't it be across the board until solved?  Hmmm...

Contributor
leeway63
0 Kudos

Doug wrote:

This is not a B&N support forum. This is a user-to-user support forum. B&N support is provided via their stores and through their phone service at 1-800-THE-BOOK (1-800-843-2665).

You can also leave notes in the Ask Your Community Manager forums, and they're supposed to get forwarded on. There is no guarantee of any response.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Don't see where it is specified anywhere that this is a user-to-user support forum.  And since I've been logging in here for a year, I am surprised that I didn't notice it earlier.

I've done all the work to try and get my nook working again, and am not even terribly upset about the situation, but I know more about my nook than anybody I've spoken to. Customer service at the store or technical support on the phone. I don't ask my 7 year old to help me with my taxes, and thats about  the level of assistance I've gotten from BN.

Its to the point where I'm still amused enough to occasionally check here to see if anything has come up.  And I'm sure it eventually will be figured out.  I just can't believe they are so stupid that they don't take this more seriously.

New User
Dliza
0 Kudos

I'm in Riverside California and I still have no functioning shop button...Unbelievable!!

Frequent Contributor
Zeeker
0 Kudos

First the Read-in-store feature is gone, now can't buy books without a computer or WiFi.

What fails next???

Inspired Contributor
KikiL
0 Kudos

Zeeker wrote:

First the Read-in-store feature is gone, now can't buy books without a computer or WiFi.

What fails next???

---------------------------------------------------

When did read in store go away?  I used it before Christmas...

Inspired Correspondent
Sandikal
0 Kudos

Still can't shop.

Inspired Bibliophile
GS2991
0 Kudos

I'm in tje same boat with all you guys. It really bites too. My 3G is the ONLY way for me to buy my ebooks I have no pc. I just started a bookclub to and our first read is this week and I CAN'T BUY THE BOOK AHH! Its driving me mad! I hope its fixed very soon. This bites. And but well I want my shop back! If this problem was for a NT or NC I bet it would have been fixed by now.
Silence is golden,
Duck tape is silver.

Book Sharks: No need to breathe, just read!
Contributor
the_curious_reader
0 Kudos

I'm located on the East Coast in the Mid-Atlantic region. The 3G Shop function now appears to be working on my N1E, but the book covers don't download on a purchase unless I use WiFi, which for me is inconvenient since I don't have WiFi access at home, which is why I bought the Nook with 3G and haven't moved on to Nook Color or Nook Tablet, which only access WiFi. To get book covers means trips to a location with WiFi access. God grant me patience, and I want it now.

Contributor
StanOH
0 Kudos

Ohio here, Shop does not work on either wifi or 3g. Still waiting, but with less patience.

Reader 2
stef73
0 Kudos

Seattle Washington here...haven't had the Shop feature since Friday?  Finally got on "chat" helpline and the guy said to turn off, on, re-register...told him I had read all that on line and nothing worked.  He said he hadn't heard of anything going on with the 1st edition shop!!!  WHAT?!!  Glad I found this forum or I would have thought it was my nook.   thanks for all the information...but if I hear turn it on and off one more time!! YIKES!

Reader 2
stef73
0 Kudos

Did anyone that now has their Shop button working unregister their nook and set it back to Factory settings? or did it just start working?

Reader 2
stef73
0 Kudos

Ok sorry about this....I went back and read some more comments and saw that MaleficantIL did set hers back to Factory settings after un-registering it and hers is working now..Has this worked for anyone else?   By the way I'm on WiFi and have 1.7 firmware.   and  also got the Free Friday book through my computer and it downloaded to my nook no problem.  dah...I thought that meant the Shop was working but no. 

Frequent Contributor
Zeeker
0 Kudos

Re: Shop Button and other non-working features

I have now been in four B&N stores in the last 3-4 months where the read-in-store feature does not work for the original nook.  If it's working for you, consider yourself fortunate.  For now, I can't read in store, and can't buy books unless at the store or near wifi.  (while paperbacks in store are the same price if not cheaper than many, many ebooks)

Inspired Contributor
MrNook
0 Kudos

This is the first I have heard regarding the Read In Store feature having an issue. I will be headed to a store later this evening or tomorrow evening and will check that out. Ot would be nice if there was a clear message from B&N on the known device types which are impacted. So far it sounds like the 3G+WiFi models only that are impacted which is odd, but that would put the device impact to well north of 200K based on what I recall reading on sales of that particular model.
New User
fluff1022
0 Kudos

I have the Wifi only version of nook and shop and read in store still are not working for me either. this is getting really really old. I keep waiting and nothing is working for me. Nook has worked perfectly fine up to now.

Inspired Correspondent
Sandikal
0 Kudos

Well, here's a new twist.  I haven't been able to add books to my wishlist throught the website for several weeks.  With the shop button on the Nook not working, I now have no way to add books to my wishlist.  This totally sucks.

For the record, I just tried shutting down my Nook and re-starting it and it still doesn't work.  I do not want to reset it to factory settings and have to re-download everything.

New User
nightime
0 Kudos

I talked with technical support on Friday and Monday about not being able to shop.  They had me to unregister and register my nook and it still does not work.  When I first start talking they act like they don't have a clue to what I am talking about and then I tell them about other people having this problem and then they admit they have a problem.  They don't know when it will be fixed.  The guy told me to call back in 2 or 3 days and see how it was going. This Thursday will be one week that I know it has been down. 

Contributor
Chuska
0 Kudos

It doesn't appear that our problem will be fixed with the Shop button.  I've called tech support (worthless), I've gone down to the store (again) and have done everything I can think of other than start a FB page to protest what appears to be a failure of supporting those of us with the 1st edition Nook.  There is no way I'm ever going to buy a nook again since it most likely will be phased out in 2 years.  I truly believe this is as good as it's going to get.  Yes, we can purchase books via other devices and then update our library on our 1E nook but that negates the reason many of us purchased this to begin with.

I'm fed up with B&N and am now looking into a Kindle - yes, a Kindle though I have over 300 B&N ebooks.  I don't hear Kindle customers complaining about not using a feature on theirs, including the first Kindle customers out there.

Good luck to the rest of you!  I'm only sorry about the many people I referred to the Nook from the beginning.

Distinguished Bibliophile
RHWright
0 Kudos

Chuska wrote:

It doesn't appear that our problem will be fixed with the Shop button.

I appreciate your frustration, but don't really get how you can make this assertion.

Yes, it's been down for a week for many users.

Yes, the communication between CS, tech support, and the stores has been its usual non-existent self.

But, the one communication that seems to be clear is that they are working to resolve the issue.

I understand that patience is wearing thin. But give them a chance. This hit right before a holiday weekend. There are only so many technical resources to put on the problem and still attend to the day-to-day operations.

Despite the chicken-little-ism I keep seeing, this is not currently a catastrophe. You can buy B&N content through other channels. You can update that content to your N1E. Inconvenient, yes. Catastrophically so, no.

If the problem persists, then that's another issue.

In reality, at least to me, the problem is less the technical issue and timeline and more B&N's communication failures: acknowledging the issue, communicating it to all stakeholders, making regular updates on progress, etc. This is something we see time and again with B&N and many other companies.

Frequent Contributor
The_Dark_Clown
0 Kudos

I just found this thread while looking into a charging issue.  Flipped mine over to 3G only and hit the shop button.  Works perfectly.  Didn't buy anything because I don't want any books right now but the search feature worked just fine.

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 4 members 725 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: