Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reader 2
AmyBB
0 Kudos

Re: Shop Button

[ Edited ]

RHWright wrote:

But, the one communication that seems to be clear is that they are working to resolve the issue.

Despite the chicken-little-ism I keep seeing, this is not currently a catastrophe. You can buy B&N content through other channels. You can update that content to your N1E. Inconvenient, yes. Catastrophically so, no.

Personally I have trouble believing this thanks to a similarly spectacular failure on Motorola's part updating the OS for my 'smartphone'.  They too said they were working on being able to upgrade the OS.  Months later and it never happened and those of us with that particular phone are stuck with Android 1.5 or something equally old.
So I have trouble believing a company when they say 'they're working on it'.  And honestly, they might be ... with perhaps one programmer.

I agree, it's not a catastrophe, but direct communication has been nil: we're hearing it second hand.  This is a problem and is disconcerting and causing distrust.

In reality, at least to me, the problem is less the technical issue and timeline and more B&N's communication failures: acknowledging the issue, communicating it to all stakeholders, making regular updates on progress, etc. This is something we see time and again with B&N and many other companies.

Agreed.  

Inspired Contributor
MrNook

I just got back from my nearest B&N store. (I visited at 8:45 PM CDT)

I was able to "Shop" in the store and I was also able to "Read In Store" I believe that this issue may have been resolved prior to my arrival at the store though so I'm not sure that it has anything to do with going to the store per se.  It was not working at before 6:00 PM CDT for me.  I would be interested to know if anyone is still having this Shop button issue.

I think that some of the people who have reported that the "Read In Store" feature was/is not working could be because of the particular book involved or the publisher itself.  Not all publishers will allow the entirety of their catalog to be available to read in the store just as not all publishers have their entire catalog as eBooks.  In some cases, publishers limit the amount of content in the eBook due to various copyright restrictions (usually having to do with photos or illustrations) but I digress.

No problem shopping in the store and I was able to add books to me eWish List, view books in my eWish List.  I was able to buy a new book as well as a newspaper.  I was able to browse the entire "store" within my nook and I was able to download and read "books" from the "Read More" section of the "Store" without any issues.

After I confirmed the "In Store" section of shopping was okay I then disabled WiFi, recycled the power on my device and then tried shopping using 3G and no WiFi.  I had no issues and was able to browse, search, etc. as before.  Now that I am home, I am able to do the same via WiFi and 3G so the problem from me seems resolved.

Was the trick going to the store?  Doubtful, and was likely pure coincidence.  However, if you are still experiencing this issue and you can get to a B&N physical store then try it.

Some things that as a nook user you should never need to do in these situations.

1) Rollback to an earlier version of the firmware (frankly I'm not sure this is an easy task for most)

2) Unregister your nook and then re-register it. (This is just pretty much a useless effort and will only cause you to waste your time.)

3) Assume that the CSR you call really can solve the issue immediately; they are following a prescribed script and usually will be able to help on only Account setting issues or direct hardware failures and error codes.

4) Post on this board and make wild accusations that it is a conspiracy to make us buy the latest version of the device and claim that you are just going stop using B&N and your nook and go use a Kindle because they never have any problems, blah, blah.  Really?  Kindle users have just as many horror stories as nook users indeed they have more. Technology is not perfect and neither are the creators or the users of the technology.

5) In a wild fit storm down to your local B&N store and harangue the staff and talk about how horrible this is in the most indignant and demeaning way.  Remember that poor employee did not cause the issue and likely is more frustrated than you are because he or she has already had three people like you come to the store over the past four hours.

6) In an even wilder fit throw your nook at the wall as hard as you can and eat the innards of your nook in some bizarre ritual like some demented savage from a character in a book out of the Sci-Fi & Fantasy genre.

What you can do is post here your concerns and even call B&N CS and let them know of the situation.  However, before doing that simply power recycle (turn off / turn on) your nook.  Verify that your B&N online account is okay such as credit card, etc.  Finally be patient.  I agree that this was a bit of a long wait by some standards and the communication from B&N on this was not too good; indeed it was non-existent.

My guess on the root cause right now was the SSL certificate at the “Shop” web service for our versions of Nooks was expired.

Anyway, I hope that I'm not alone in this now being solved.

Correspondent
seasanddollar
0 Kudos

In Florida, still waiting--have 2 Nooks, both have the problem.  I have tried the store and shutting down.  My daughter also has a NE1, still has problem too.

Frequent Contributor
MaleficentIL
0 Kudos

My Shop button is finally working.  I had to deregister the nook; reset to factory default and then reregister and everything is working like it did before.  I would suggest that if you have any sideloaded items on the nook to save them as they will be erased by doing what I suggest.

Contributor
RickMilw
0 Kudos

9:50 am CT on Thursday. In Milwaukee and my shop button still doesn't work.

Inspired Contributor
KikiL
0 Kudos

I just spent an hour or so with a chat rep, and my SHOP function is finally back.  Against my better judgment, I took her advice and de-registered, but that didn't help. Then she suggested resetting to factory defaults and we had quite a discussion about whether that would really work or not.  While she was typing, I checked this board again and saw MaleficentL's post about resetting to factory settings, so I did it.  I am now getting back to normal. Have to set up all my shelves again and sideload some books and library books. Probably have to re-register the nook with adobe digital editions, too.  It will take a little time, but it looks like a fix.  Not the cleanest fix in the world.

And, like everyone ele posting here, I sure wish B&N would be more upfront in their communications with us, the users.  There should just be some place where they post the issue and the possible solutions, even if it isn't an easy solution.  Good luck to everyone!! I still love my nook.  And the CSR who helped me was very accomodating and nice.  And apologetic.  Not a job I'd want! 

Contributor
RickMilw
0 Kudos

It worked for me too...I unregistered, reset to factory settings and re registered and everything works now. Just had to redownload my books, but at least my Shop button is working again.

Contributor
zelda11
0 Kudos

I just got off the phone with CS and from what he told me this IS the solution.  Unregistering, reregistering and redownloading.

I have more than 40 shelves that my books are distributed across. Perhaps if we could save our shelves in our B&N accounts it wouldn't be such a big deal, but I am not doing the above process.

B&N needs to send an update to fix this or reverse whatever they did last week so the Shop button works. 

I can't even express how disappointed I am with B&N. 

Contributor
StanOH
0 Kudos

It worked for me....I unregistered, reset to factory settings and re registered and everything works now. I had tried this several times in the past with out fixing, but this time it worked. Thank You :smileyhappy::smileyhappy:

Inspired Contributor
MrNook
0 Kudos

zelda11 wrote:

I have more than 40 shelves that my books are distributed across. Perhaps if we could save our shelves in our B&N accounts it wouldn't be such a big deal, but I am not doing the above process.

I do not see how unregistering the nook and re-registering it would do anything here.  The only way that would occur is clearing out some cache (which a power reset/recycle should do) or force some particular certificate that has been updated but our devices did not receive to download to the device, but why does mine now work just fine after coincidentally going to the store?

I agree with you.  Do not take the suggestion to unregister your nook.  It really does not make sense to me unless B&N CS can explain exactly why this works and what is happening when this occurs to make this problem go away.  To me this like a computer support person telling you to just reformat your hard drive and re-install your operating system for the answer to all problems that stump them even slightly.  Yep, that will indeed usually fix your problem, but leave you with a whole of work getting things back to how you want them and not to mention the time of just going through re-install, etc.

Contributor
leeway63
0 Kudos

Slightly off topic since my shop button is still not working. Thought this was interesting though. I purchased a nookbook through my smartphone app a few minutes ago. Shut off the wifi on my nook and checked for new content. 3g connection was established, and the book downloaded. My 3g hasn't worked since early october so I am pleased to have that much back anyway. I believe eventually this will sort itself out.
Contributor
zelda11
0 Kudos

I am guessing here but part of the process is taking the nook back to factory settings.  So it would no longer be on software version 1.7?

I am going to call CS again today.

I am mostly irritated because I have not been a complainer.  I have 2 cracked buttons on the bezel and got over it, being an early adopter I put up with freezes and other issues that I expected of a new 1st on the market device (for B&N). 

This is totally different.  This is now a seasoned device.  They need to fix it and communicate that they are doing so.  The bandaid approach is unacceptable.

Inspired Contributor
robertVA
0 Kudos

One of a software developer's worst nightmares is a problem that can't be reliably reproduced. It's difficult to tell when you're "lucky" enough to be one of the users that, for the moment, aren't experiencing the problem rather than your latest corrective action solving the problem. The Nook First Edition "Shop" button issues appear to be such a problem.

I had no trouble using the shop function on my Nook First Edition to search for and "purchase" this week's "Free Fridays" selection on my WiFi only Nook First Edition through my home WAP at approximately 1:10PM EST. The book was at the top of the unshelved books on my reader as soon as I could reach the library listing.

Contributor
Maggie34
0 Kudos

How do you, as one user mentioned above, "flip it over to 3G only"?  Doesn't it automatically search for a wifi connection first?

Contributor
leeway63
0 Kudos

Airplane mode off, and wifi also turned off. Forces it to use 3g. There is no way to just turn it on.
New User
devilgirl1958
0 Kudos

ok guys in ohio here, My shop button is now working....but you do have to unregister, then set to defult factory settings, then you can reregister, and your shop feature will work. Earlier in the week this did not work but it will now. Trust me i did it. Still doesnt mean Im happy about how long it took i actually had to leave some negative comments on b&n facebook wall to get anywhere.

Reader 2
stef73
0 Kudos

I just came back from a B&N store where I did what others have said...pushed the shop button and it worked in store...I had my doubts but when I got home my Shop button still works on my 1st edition 1.7 wifi nook!  YEA!  I did not have to do anything else.   thanks for all your help! Glad I found this Community. It's too bad they haven't officially posted anything about this.

Contributor
iMacj
0 Kudos

Well it's 1/22/2012 and here in Florida, the shop button is still not working on my N1E. I have read through this thread, and thank you to those who posted the solution. 

While it seems easy enough to deregister and reset to factory defaults, I may try to swing past the store and connect there, to see if that works first. I'm just curious as to whether connecting inside their local network at one of the stores will fix the issue because it seems strange to me how that resolves the issue..

I can connect at home to my WiFi, see that I am connected to my router, the IP address the N1E has, able to use the Beta Web browser, and read the latest Daily, but still no shop button. I also notice the time is off by 1 hour. I do not have a 3G model, mine is WiFi only.

Apparently if that works, as some readers here have mentioned, it may have something to do with syncing the device to the BN cloud server while on site at one of their stores, that simply won't happen from home.

Thanks again!!!

Contributor
the_curious_reader
0 Kudos

My N1E Nook Shop button is now works in 3G as well as WiFi here in the Mid-Atlantic. However, book covers only appear sporadically in the aggregate and rarely when an item is viewed individually; if a book whose cover appears individually is downloaded the cover comes with it, but if a book whose cover does not appear individually is downloaded the cover is missing. The temporary solution is to go to a WiFi location for missing covers, which will stay with the Nook once having appeared. This has happened before the Shop button problem occurred and it took several weeks for B&N to fix it. In the meantime, I'm putting new selections for purchase onto my Wish List until I can get to WiFi rather than download without the cover. Is anyone else having this missing book covers problem?

Incidentally, I did nothing to bring back the Shop button, no reregistering. I did go to the store and use their WiFi to shop. That did not bring back 3G shopping, which occurred a couple of days later.

Contributor
zelda11
0 Kudos

The In Store fix also worked for me - but be patient...

I was able to connect to the B&N network in store immediately but was still unable to shop - tried it 3x.  I then rebooted my nook and tried once more - still no luck.

Then a B&N employee with magical fingers tried connecting again and I was able to Shop.  Just got home and tried my own WiFi network and was able to access Shop - I did not buy a book yet but assume it will work.

I was surprised that none of the nook CS people in the store were aware of this problem.

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 52 members 1,242 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: