Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
quiltergns
0 Kudos

Re: Shop Button

I live in San Bernardino County, in southern California; I have the original NOOK  and 1.5.  This morning I was able to use the shop button and buy from my NOOK.

Georgia

Contributor
Maggie34
0 Kudos

I ended up going with the unregister-reset-reregister solution a couple days ago after one final CS chat session, though I did express my displeasure over all the conflicting info where I got different info each time and never a solution (allbeit an annoying one) until a week later.  Works fine now.

Contributor
kaol
0 Kudos

My First Edition (Wifi only) developed the "Shop Button" problem too, but I just took a trip to the local Barnes and Noble (Staten Island NY), and had no trouble with the Shop button  inside the store, as some people in this discussion advised. When I came home it still worked fine. It's 20 minutes each way, but I figured it would have taken way longer to unregister, reset to defaults, etc., and rescue my entire library.

Contributor
Tope_the_NOOK_Dope
0 Kudos

Known Issue Unfortunately

I've had several customers into the store with this problem. About 75% of them worked when they were here in the store; however, a few still didn't work.

Our in-store support said that this has been a known issue (obviously) for a week now and they're working on fixing it. Since most people's Shop feature seems to be working and it's a slim few that are having trouble, it seems pretty random to me. Hopefully it's a software issue that will be rectified soon.

-Tope

Reader 2
AmyBB
0 Kudos

This is what finally worked for me.

It's too bad that it took restoring it to factory settings, though.  

Contributor
the_curious_reader
0 Kudos

Re: Known Issue Unfortunately

Now that my shop button is working, could you tell me, please, what about missing book covers, a problem that occurred before and appeared resolved but has returned now that the shop button is again working (with no effort on my part, no reregistering). Is B&N Tech Support working on that also? I'm in Mid-Atlantic and have N1E 3G-WiFi 1.7.

Surely there are others who are experiencing this problem. Going to a WiFi location will bring up all the book covers, but the problem recurs upon returning to 3G even at the same location. Some book covers in the aggregate intermittently appear, but book covers for individual selections mostly do not, and when they do not appear the selection will download without the book cover, which can be retrieved through WiFi only.

Once retrieved, the covers will stay, at least so far.

Before sending this, I shut down my Nook and restarted, then went to shop and selected browsing ebooks. Not one book cover, not even in the aggregate. I was hoping to find the problem gone, but no such luck.

Contributor
iMacj
0 Kudos

I just wanted to follow up with everyone.

Yesterday I finally had a chance to stop by BN to try and connect with the in store network. My N1E connected right away but that did not immediately fix the shop button. 

I then shut the nook down completely and rebooted while at BN, and everything began working as normal. All of my book covers are visible in my library as well as when I browse eBooks.

It sounds a little strange but if you are able to try it, it can't hurt. Just make sure you shut down the N1E, not sleep mode, completely shut it down where it tells you on the screen, "your nook is shutting down". Then do a reboot while you are in the store, so that it automatically connects to their network when it finishes booting back up.

Contributor
the_curious_reader
0 Kudos

Read your message, went to the store and rebooted twice, once soft and once hard. Book covers all there on store WiFi and almost all visible on 3G when inside store. At home, however, many book covers showing and many missing. Over the next few days, if I only use 3G at home, most of the book covers that are showing will phase out going by past experience. I'm glad rebooting at the store worked so well for you. Maybe I'll try it again in the next few days or so.

Contributor
iMacj
0 Kudos

Hello Curious, it sounds more like an issue with your 3G hardware. If everything looked ok in the store, on the BN WiFi network, but not so later when you left, I suspect the 3G.

If you are able to connect to another WiFi network, at a friend's, Starbucks, or anywhere else you can, it would be intersting to know.

Do you know what version firmware you are running? Sorry, in advance if you mentioned it. It's under settings.

Contributor
the_curious_reader
0 Kudos

Hi, iMacj. The problem is definitely with 3G only. WiFi works 100% everywhere I use it, B&N and other hot spots, my daughter's home, etc. I don't have WiFi at home, so I bought 3G, and it is 3G that is currently missing book covers no matter where I use it.  My firmware is 1.7.0.

The missing covers problem originally occurred a couple of months ago, and after a couple of weeks the covers came back on their own. That was after a trip to the store during which no reboot was performed, and the reappearance of all book covers after that trip may have been coincidental.

If book covers 100% reappear on 3G, miraculously or for whatever reason, I'll post it. Thanks for your interest and help.

Reader 2
trboxman
0 Kudos

I can also confirm that going to a B&N store, cold booting, and then hitting the shop button will restore functionality without having to reset everything back to factory defaults and start over.

This whole issue is ridiculously amateurish for a company that's betting their future on digital products.  The lack of notification to users, the lack of knowledge by the support staff, and the lack of a viable solution that doesn't involve starting over or making a trip to one of their stores is inexcusable.  B&N, you should be ashamed.

Reader 2
XraytechMK
0 Kudos

I too have been unable to use my SHOP button...after reading this I tried the unregister, restore to factory default, reregister option...and IT WORKED!  

New User
lola007
0 Kudos

Yesterday, December 5, 2012, my shop button stopped working.  I've turned the nook off/on several times: i even took out the battery for 30 minutes to try to re-set it.  Based on the postings it looks like I need to try going to the store to see if I can get the shop button to work again; if that doesn't work it looks like I'll have to try to re-set to factory settings.  Thanks for this thread -- it has a lot of helpful ideas.

New User
Karada65
0 Kudos

Thank you everyone for your input. I just started to have this problem a couple days ago. I'm going to hit our local store this evening to see if connecting there will help before attempting the more intrusive options that I've read. My husband has this same Nook and he isn't currently experiencing this problem. I had him check the OS and he's on 1.7 as am I.

jmm
Contributor
jmm
0 Kudos

Steven Parks: We are seeing a few customers experiencing the same issue. We suspect this issue to be from the BN server end. We've already reported this to our Engineering team and they are working on it for a fix.

This is from a online chat with BN a few minutes ago.  I asked if they would notify users when conditions were corrected--he said no.  (Very nice to chat with, however).  

I asked also about cover problem--I have no covers and haven't had for a while, but it's not really a big deal for me.  That problem really didnt' get addressed.

New User
annabug
0 Kudos

My shop button also no longer working.  Fine up until two days ago.

Contributor
kborn2run
0 Kudos

As I mentioned in the other thread, the simplest fix is to go to your local B&N, connect to their wi-fi, turn your device off and then power it back up. When your Nook is back up, you will be able to access the store using the shop button. It should "hold" after you leave the store. I don't mean to sound negative, but I wouldn't hold out for a remote fix anytime soon, and I surely would not unregister if I could use the in-store fix.
Correspondent
Wulfraed
0 Kudos

LarryOnLI wrote:

De-register and re-register seems to be the lazy tech support reps answer for all NOOK problems.

Given that de-registering your NOOK will cause the loss of all shelf information as well as requiring you to re-download all your B&N content, this should be a last resort, not a first.

I've had the 1st edition for two years and never had to deregister/reset to factory...

There are two threads on the shop problem so I'm duplicating my experience in resolving it in both...

Took it to B&N... Powered off (full off), rebooted.

It discovered and showed me a "Welcome to Woodland Mall B&N" with an option to "shop". The option failed.

I then powered it off, popped the back cover, took out the battery (I had a screwdriver of the appropriate size).

With the battery removed, I held the power button down a few seconds (just to suck any capacitor charge dry).

Reinstalled the battery, snapped the cover on, rebooted.

Did not get the welcome screen, but the application button list did show "Shop/in-store", and tapping it did bring up the shop (whereupon I spent $20 on two books).

Returned home, and the shop list still showed up. We'll see if it holds (pulling the battery at home did NOT solve the problem -- appears it needed both the battery pulled and in-store boot).

Baron Wulfraed
New User
BarbNC
0 Kudos

December 11, 2012

The shop function on my black and white 3G 1st Edition has not worked for several days, either through WiFi or 3G. Read all of your comments/suggestions and decided to go to the B&N store to see what they had to say.  Of course, the WiFi worked beautifully in the store and I decided that at least I could go to the store to make purchases. The Nook person in the store told me that there was no 3G anymore.  Strangest thing, on the drive home I was still clutching my Nook (spouse driving).  Decided to try again and yes, the Shop function was working through 3G (so clearly B&N still has 3G).  Shop function still working 1-1/2 days later.  Wondering if the boost of strong WiFi in the store fixed things.

This has never happened before.  I would think that B&N would be all over making sure the Shop function works!

DeanGibson
Topics: 92
Kudos: 2,247
Solutions: 18
0 Kudos

BarbNC wrote:

... The Nook person in the store told me that there was no 3G anymore.  Strangest thing, on the drive home I was still clutching my Nook (spouse driving).  Decided to try again and yes, the Shop function was working through 3G (so clearly B&N still has 3G). ...

B&N doesn't make/sell any more Nooks that support 3G.  The existing ones that users still own, still can use 3G, supposedly "for the life of the device".

2 Nook HD/8GB + 2 Nook HD+/16GB: B&N 2.2.0 rooted
2 Nook Touch (one Ltd. Ed.): B&N 1.2.1 rooted; Dell Venue 8 Pro: Windows 8.1
Nook 1stEd/3G: B&N 1.7.0 rooted.; Acer Iconia A500: Android 4.0.3 rooted;
Nook Color: B&N 1.4.3 rooted; Samsung Galaxy Tab2 (7.0"): Android 4.2.2 rooted
Customer loyalty is earned, not commanded or deserved, and easily lost.
Never suspect intent where incompetence will do.
Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 37 members 904 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: