Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Bibliophile
shadowcat80
0 Kudos

Side-Loading

I have a side-loading question.  Do I need to download the nook for PC app to side-load e-books from my nook library on BN.com to the Nook or not?  And follow-up if the first one is yes where do I go to download that app?

Help me down the crooked road. Lead me to the light. I'm not sure I know the way but with you beside me, I'm certain we'll make it through.
Frequent Contributor
MLBerry
0 Kudos

Re: Side-Loading

No.  But it will allow you to side load B&N purchased books with usable file names.  The actual side loading is done through Windows Explorer and the Mac equivalent.  It's the same as copying a file from one drive to another.  Remember B&N books go into the folder "My B&N books"  other side loaded book go into "My documents"

You can get Nook for PC here:

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/u/free-nook-apps/379002321/

shadowcat80
0 Kudos

Thank you MLBerry, that was very helpful.  The biggest reason I asked because their was a post a while back on the Nook General Discussion that when 4-G really takes over the 3-G will cease to function and I was thinking if I could get a handle on side-loading now, when my nook only has its wifi, I can still get my e-books at home where I have no wifi.

Help me down the crooked road. Lead me to the light. I'm not sure I know the way but with you beside me, I'm certain we'll make it through.
Inspired Scribe
geatdanemomDT
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

No.  But it will allow you to side load B&N purchased books with usable file names.  The actual side loading is done through Windows Explorer and the Mac equivalent.  It's the same as copying a file from one drive to another.  Remember B&N books go into the folder "My B&N books"  other side loaded book go into "My documents"

Shadowcat:

I could be wrong but it is my understanding that sideloaded books from B&N also must go into my documents , not my B&N library.

http://quiltinharmony.blogspot.com/
1 Nook 3G/Wi/Fi
Nook Color stock
Nook Color / N2A

ABthree
0 Kudos

geatdanemomDT wrote:

Shadowcat:

I could be wrong but it is my understanding that sideloaded books from B&N also must go into my documents , not my B&N library.

That is correct:  all sideloaded books, including books sideloaded from B&N, go into My Documents.

+LORD, preserve the good in their goodness, and+
+in your kindness, make the wicked become good.+
-- St. Basil the Great+
ABthree
0 Kudos

shadowcat80 wrote:

Thank you MLBerry, that was very helpful.  The biggest reason I asked because their was a post a while back on the Nook General Discussion that when 4-G really takes over the 3-G will cease to function and I was thinking if I could get a handle on side-loading now, when my nook only has its wifi, I can still get my e-books at home where I have no wifi.

As others have posted before (I think that both AlanNJ and Doug_Pardee have commented on this), 3-G isn't going anywhere anytime soon.  Since there's so much 3-G out there and since 4-G is a different technology and not backward compatible, it's being overlaid on 3-G, not replacing it.

You will probably have replaced your Nook with something more current two or three times before 3-G is finally phased out. 

+LORD, preserve the good in their goodness, and+
+in your kindness, make the wicked become good.+
-- St. Basil the Great+
Inspired Correspondent
MarkinStLouis
0 Kudos

I'm not sure where you live, but there are still A LOT of areas I go to that don't even have 3G service yet, just Edge (what came before 3G).  3G won't be going away any time soon.

Wordsmith
ProfReader
0 Kudos

Exactly and the Nook works just fine on 2g.

MarkinStLouis wrote:

I'm not sure where you live, but there are still A LOT of areas I go to that don't even have 3G service yet, just Edge (what came before 3G).  3G won't be going away any time soon.

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 57 members 1,169 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: