Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
Geran
0 Kudos

Sideloaded Books not Loading Correctly

I have an ePub document which I loaded on to my nook. When I first loaded it, I noticed that the number of pages was lower than I expected. I thought perhaps it just counted wrong for a bit and would update. When I reached that "final" page, I was unable to continue reading the book. The book was created using Calibre, and I am able to read the entire book on my PC. Any suggestions to fix this?

I have tried re-converting the file with a newer version of Calibre, I loaded and unloaded the file on to the nook, and I have tried a full shut down of the nook.

Contributor
Geran
0 Kudos

Re: Sideloaded Books not Loading Correctly

I played around with it, and changed the fonts to a smaller size. It looks like the number of pages is remaining the same, no matter the font size. 214 pages is the most I am able to see on this particular book.

Frequent Contributor
harkinat0r
0 Kudos

This is a strange issue, I love calibre and have never had an issue like this.  One thing you might try is converting the document to another format that Nook supports.  You can also try unloading the book, ejecting Nook, refreshing your document library on Nook, reconnecting Nook, reloading book and then refreshing library again.  Just unloading and loading the book without time to refresh in between may cause Nook to not realize anything has changed.  Again, these are just a few things that I would try, hopefully one of them will help.

Contributor
Geran
0 Kudos

I unloaded, deleted, then reloaded the content and I am still getting the same issue. I would use PDB, but Calibre seems to delete all of the line breaks from that. PDF is also keeping in the xml (?) tags when it creates the output.

I tested one of the other ePub books I had put on my nook, and it is doing something similar. I am losing more than half of the pages at the end of the book. I would say that it is a calibre issue, except for the fact that I can read the books on software ereaders and I have tested multiple versions of calibre. This leads me to believe that perhaps the nook has issues with epub format?

TNS
Distinguished Correspondent
TNS
0 Kudos

In general epub books fix the number of pages.  You may see multiple pages on your display for each page that epub counts.  I haven't done much playing around with settings of calibre to see if you can have it calculate pages to match a specific output device and font size.

Contributor
Geran
0 Kudos

On my software viewer, I see that one book has 400+ pages, while on the nook, it has 214.

I have Calibre set to use the nook as the output device.

Contributor
Geran
0 Kudos

I am going to bump this, since I am hoping someone important sees this.

Contributor
Geran
0 Kudos

1.2 did not fix this.

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

Report this to Calibre developers too.  They have been pretty responsive to fixing this stuff.

Contributor
Geran
0 Kudos

I didn't think to try that. I emailed nook support. They replied by telling me I should call them. I will do that when I get home from work.

Inspired Correspondent
nickels
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I have also just converted a book using Calibre. It was .lit and I converted it to.epub. On my nook the book has the cover but then a large section of text is missing. If I open this book on calibre OR on the Barnes and Noble reader on my PC it is fine. On the nook pages are totally missing. I tried resizing and changing the typeface but neither worked. I will try to convert it again tonight and some other tests but right now I'm stumped!

Contributor
Geran
0 Kudos

Good to see that I am not the only one.

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

nickels wrote:

I have also just converted a book using Calibre. It was .lit and I converted it to.epub. On my nook the book has the cover but then a large section of text is missing. If I open this book on calibre OR on the Barnes and Noble reader on my PC it is fine. On the nook pages are totally missing. I tried resizing and changing the typeface but neither worked. I will try to convert it again tonight and some other tests but right now I'm stumped!

Do you have nook specified as the preferred output format in Calibre?

Inspired Correspondent
nickels
0 Kudos

OK, I got it working now. I got the latest version of Calibre and installed it. I connect the nook and removed the files from the My Documents folder. Disconnected. Open Calibre and reconnected the USB cable. I clicked on the books and selected "move to device" and it reformmated them again. This time the book opened fine on the nook. Weird, but working so I'm happy.

Contributor
Geran
0 Kudos

Ah, I had been manually moving the files. I will have to try this when I get home. I will post my results after I try it.

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 27 members 266 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: