Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
Offbeatmammal
0 Kudos

Sideloading an Epub to the Android Nook app

Hi there,

I've got an epub that I want to test loading onto the Android app (while I try to decide between Nook, Kindle or iPad - reading .CBZ format comics is a very important use case for me)

I've copied it into the /Nook/MyDocuments folder but it never shows up.

If I rename the Nook User Guide.epub to something else ... it still shows up and is readable, so is there something else going on? Is there a way to upload the epub to the BN.com site and have it download to my device, or am I missing a really obvious sideloading step?

Frequent Contributor
El_Viejo
0 Kudos

Re: Sideloading an Epub to the Android Nook app

It sounds as if you have placed the epub file in the correct place.  It will not show up with your books from B&N.  From menu, select the filter option.  Then you will be able to choose your documents folder to see the books sideloaded there.

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

Doug, he's talking about the Android app for an Android phone.

And No, unfortunatly, no sideloaded content works yet in this app.

No clue why they would carry the entire directory structure over to the android phone, and even put files (the manual), but not allow people to sideload. 

The Android phone app is not ready for prime time.  

Frequent Contributor
El_Viejo
0 Kudos

Yes, I understand that the subject is the Android Nook App for phone, and should be in the other forum.  However, the new release (2.1, I believe) available in the Android Market does allow sideloading of epub files.  The previous version did not.  At least, it works on my phone.

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Ah, right you are.

I hadn't checked for downloads, and had missed there there was a new one.

Yup, epub do sideload, but PDFs, and PDBs still won't show.

I see we were thrown the bone of being able to move it to the SD card (on Froyo) instead of taking the programmer out to the woodshed and schooling him never to write a 17meg app.

I authorized my Android phone with ADE, move documents to it with ADE (it puts them where nook can't find them - GRRRR).  Moved them to MyDocuments under the nook app and proceeded to crash my phone trying to open it.

So apparently the sideloads can not include ADE.  Other documents did sideload fine, and opened.  

Frequent Contributor
El_Viejo
0 Kudos

Maybe I should come out of retirement and start programming again.  Wait, my old brain doesn't work anymore, so that's out.  :smileywink:

New User
mamamaak
0 Kudos

I am unable to sideload. I have the books in the right folder, and they show up in "my files", but when I try to open "my files" it crashes every time. It did this even when the folder was empty. Any ideas?

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

First: Wrong forum for a nook app post.

Second: I believe its called "MYDoicuments". and its in the nook subdirectory.

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 53 members 769 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: