Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Correspondent
PepaLou
0 Kudos

Sideloading

Ok, I wonder if I'm missing something.  I keep reading about how people are stressed out about sideloading, and it is difficult and confusing...so now I wonder if I'm doing it right, LOL.

If I download a book on my computer (from a site other than B&N), I simply plug in my nook, then drag and drop into my nook.  When I unplug the nook, the book is there.  The first time I did it was when my uncle had written a short story and asked me to read it.  He sent me the file and I just dropped it into my nook, and started reading it within minutes. 

After that, I did the same thing with other books. 

Even better, I usually order my books directly from my nook (if I go the B&N route).  But sometimes I'll be on here and decide to browse, and if I find a book I like, I download it from the computer.  The last few times I did that, I turned on my nook to find the books went straight to my nook and I didn't have to plug it into the computer. 

Brasil #1
Proud owner of "COUNT NOOKULA"!
Stop adding more crap to my nook! If I wanted a do it all POS, I would have bought an Ipad!
Distinguished Wordsmith
TXAnnie
0 Kudos

Re: Sideloading

@PepaLou

Yes, I did get stressed at sideloading.  I just messed up somehow along the way, missed a few obvious steps, thought it was different for a mac when I just didn't see the folder in my documents (didn't expand folder enough to see it, DUH).  Just stupid stuff and decided it was just so much simpler buying from nook.  

Now I have heard so many advantages and just now learned about sharing libraries with my daughters, so I will try again.

People are just different, glad it was an easy experience for most.

Scribe
JdiennoPSU
0 Kudos

@ TXAnnie

If i were you I would try do download one of your B&N ebooks off the B&N website and try sideloading it.  After you sideload it it should ask you for your CC info so just enter it and try and open it from My Documents not My B&N.

- JJ

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain.

FACT: Childhood cancers are the #1 disease killer in children - more than asthma, cystic fibrosis, diabetes, and pediatric AIDS combined.
Distinguished Wordsmith
TXAnnie
0 Kudos

@JdiennoPSU

Will try, I'll let you know.  Thanks for understanding!

Scribe
03FLHT2
0 Kudos

TXAnnie:   Just ask one of your 5 Year olds to show you.  :smileywink:

Contributor
nana_vg
0 Kudos

What folder in your Nook do you drop it into?

I'm buying an iPad for my husband for Father's Day. I want to download books I have that he might like and get them into his iPad. Also, he will download the free B&N reader for iPad and when he buys books I might like, I also want to be able to sideload into my Nook.

Any more tips on how to make this operation work without using the same account at B & N? If we use the same account, all the books each of us have bought will show up on my nook and his iPad and we may not want that to happen.

Distinguished Correspondent
very-simple
0 Kudos

nana_vg wrote:

What folder in your Nook do you drop it into?

I'm buying an iPad for my husband for Father's Day. I want to download books I have that he might like and get them into his iPad. Also, he will download the free B&N reader for iPad and when he buys books I might like, I also want to be able to sideload into my Nook.

Any more tips on how to make this operation work without using the same account at B & N? If we use the same account, all the books each of us have bought will show up on my nook and his iPad and we may not want that to happen.

1.  There is a folder on your nook called "my documents".  sideloaded books should go there.

2.  the iPad and the nook use different DRM systems (apple's is proprietary unto themselves, while B&N uses the latest adobe drm system that they developed with B&N and have (or will) made available to other parties.  Because of the different DRM systems, you will not be able to put "ibooks" from apple on to the nook, or ebooks from nook onto the ipad - they won't be readable.  Using the B&N ereader software for ipad won't help, because this is strictly for reading books in your B&N library that syncs with the device.

The only direction you'd be able to go in this instance is to download, on the computer, any books that he's added to his B&N library through the B&N app, and then sideload them onto your nook.  But you can't do the reverse.  

3.  If you were on the same account, you could at least share these books.  You could, for organizational sake, archive everything that each of you is not currently reading, so that those books are at least "hidden" from view and not cluttering up your screens - leaving only the books that each of you is actively reading.

Wordsmith
Michael-V
0 Kudos

@nana_vg,

Below is a link to video tutorials that include "How to update your NOOK" which explains the sideloading process:

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/nook/video.asp?bnit=H&bnrefer=EBOOKS&cds2Pid=30195

I hope this helps.

Your Admin.,

Michael-V

New User
MsMajik
0 Kudos

Thank you for the link, It realy helped me out a lot.

New User
MusicCityVol
0 Kudos

am new to this board and I am looking for help.  My daughter has a Nook Color and registered it to her account. She has had it for a year.  My wife just got a Nook Tablet and registered it to her account.  I am trying to sideload a book that my daughter bought to my wife's Nook.  I downloaded Nook for PC, logged in as my daughter and I see all her books.  I connected my wife's book to the PC, downloaded the book and copied it to my wife's Nook.  So good so far.  The Nook ask me for the credit card that my daughter bought the book on and I entered it but it will not unlock.  I tried multiple times on the book, even downloaded other books and it will not unlock any of them.  I called our BN store and the tech said it couldn't be done.  I told him I saw in in multiple places on this forum.  He still said it could not be done.  I called BN tech support and the tech said it could be done, but not on all books.  She said you could only do it on some books and apparrently all the books I tried it was not allowed.  What are the odds of that?  I finally deregistered my wife's Nook and registered it under my daughter's account and was able to download the book.  This works but it is not what any of us want.  Any help would be appreciated.

Wordsmith
ProfReader
0 Kudos

MusicCityVol wrote:

am new to this board and I am looking for help.  My daughter has a Nook Color and registered it to her account. She has had it for a year.  My wife just got a Nook Tablet and registered it to her account.  I am trying to sideload a book that my daughter bought to my wife's Nook.  I downloaded Nook for PC, logged in as my daughter and I see all her books.  I connected my wife's book to the PC, downloaded the book and copied it to my wife's Nook.  So good so far.  The Nook ask me for the credit card that my daughter bought the book on and I entered it but it will not unlock.  I tried multiple times on the book, even downloaded other books and it will not unlock any of them.  I called our BN store and the tech said it couldn't be done.  I told him I saw in in multiple places on this forum.  He still said it could not be done.  I called BN tech support and the tech said it could be done, but not on all books.  She said you could only do it on some books and apparrently all the books I tried it was not allowed.  What are the odds of that?  I finally deregistered my wife's Nook and registered it under my daughter's account and was able to download the book.  This works but it is not what any of us want.  Any help would be appreciated.

These people have given you wrong information. Make sure that they are all epub format and not pdb. enter the credit card number used to purchase them and the card holders name leave out the middle initial.If that doesn't work try archiving and unarchiving the books in Nook for PC.

Bibliophile
bklvr896

ProfReader wrote:

MusicCityVol wrote:

These people have given you wrong information. Make sure that they are all epub format and not pdb. enter the credit card number used to purchase them and the card holders name leave out the middle initial.If that doesn't work try archiving and unarchiving the books in Nook for PC.

You have to use the name on your B&N account, not the name on the credit card, if they are not the same.  Most people try and enter the name on the credit card.  So if your credit card is issued to Jonathan A. Smith and your B&N account is set up for John Smith, try entering John Smith.

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 4 members 264 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: