Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
jratease
0 Kudos

Since the Update, have you noticed....

..oddities? A change is touch sensitivity? Anything else that works differently?

I'm not even sure if there's anything to this, but with 1.4 the touch screen finally seemed to be perfectly responsive. You touch a spot, it reacted appropriately. That wasn't true with 1.3 and earlier, in my experience e, but since 1.4 it was perfect. The stuff that was supposed to scroll did so at just the right speed when I swiped. The points I touched did what I wanted and took me where I wanted to go.

Now it seems with 1.5, I either need to relearn how to touch the screen, or something odd is going on here.

If my finger touches a spot, sometimes it "drills down" as if I touched it, the screen changes, and I touched it again. Instead of finding myself back at a previous screen, I'm completely out of the book I'm reading and back to the home screen. Swiping to get my shelves to scroll up or down isn't as responsive as it used to be. (long scrolls, like through a list of chapters, either doesn't go far enough or goes too far)

As I said, it may be that I just have to readjust to the updated software, but I was wondering if anyone else noticed a  similar change to the sensitivity of the touch screen. I saw another thread that mentioned it in relation to the keyboard. http://tinyurl.com/2dlgx5z

Contributor
vergissmeinnicht
0 Kudos

Re: Since the Update, have you noticed....

[ Edited ]

I've noticed it, and find it very annoying. I only had my Nook for a couple days before the update, but that was long enough to see the differences when the update came through. I think I'd trade the slightly faster page turns to have the touchscreen back to how it worked in 1.4.3. It takes too long to respond, then over-responds, causing me to choose things accidentally or to exit out of a book when I didn't mean to.

Wordsmith
gandalf1369
0 Kudos

No - I haven't noticed much change in how the touchscreen responds.  It has always been fairly responsive on my nook and the 1.5 update hasn't changed anything.

**** He Who Dies With The Most Toys Wins ****
Frequent Contributor
pomtroll
0 Kudos

I have noticed a difference. Page turns are faster with the touch screen but I've noticed it takes more effort to bring up the screen again once it has gone black. And sometimes it over reacts. I've been shot out of a book once or twice too. I was beginning to think I was the only one this happened to. I did mention it awhile back.

Contributor
carbphrek
0 Kudos

I'm having a horrible time trying to swipe forwards & back. I've had to resort using the buttons :smileymad: and that is screwing up how I prop meself up in bed.

Forget the screen jumping all around when I accidently touch the screen or I can't get it to wake up at all.

Pros: I love how quickly the pages do swap when clicked

The Shelves

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

pomtroll wrote:

I have noticed a difference. Page turns are faster with the touch screen but I've noticed it takes more effort to bring up the screen again once it has gone black. 

I have noticed both of these.  I've not had any issues with using the touch screen once lit, however.

Frequent Contributor
bikechuck
0 Kudos

Backwards swipe does not work as well for me

Frequent Contributor
IronmanMM
0 Kudos

I have noticed a different sensitivity level and I agree it is annoying.  

But, also I have noticed when I wake my nook from sleep it is often several to 30 pages behind where I left off, this is also annoying.

I do love the update overall though.  Shelving is fantastic!

Wordsmith
tmr4
0 Kudos

I've notice the touchscreen is more sensitive especially the upper part with the "n" which seems to have had its functionality changed somewhat in this update.  For example I used to be able to page swipe in this area easily and without problem, but now this doesn't work for me (probably by design with this update). 

I've also been kicked out of books several times with an inadvertent or misplaced tap of the touchscreen (probably in the upper area).  I noticed this most recently trying to use bookmarks.  Several times when trying to go to the first bookmark in a list I get kicked out of the book.  I'm sure this is because I inadvertently tap in the upper area (and probably right on the "n").  While my fingers aren't that big, I guess I just need to be a bit more careful.  Still this wasn't an issue in earlier versions.

I've also had the nook go to sleep on my several times after some interaction with the touchscreen (swipe, tap or some other action).  And as mentioned above, I've also seen my place in a book moved many pages forward or back from where I left off.  I attribute this to the increased sensitivity of the touchscreen and me inadvertently changing pages as I close the cover or clean the screen.

Frequent Contributor
debbi801
0 Kudos

jratease wrote:

..oddities? A change is touch sensitivity? Anything else that works differently?

I'm not even sure if there's anything to this, but with 1.4 the touch screen finally seemed to be perfectly responsive. You touch a spot, it reacted appropriately. That wasn't true with 1.3 and earlier, in my experience e, but since 1.4 it was perfect. The stuff that was supposed to scroll did so at just the right speed when I swiped. The points I touched did what I wanted and took me where I wanted to go.

Now it seems with 1.5, I either need to relearn how to touch the screen, or something odd is going on here.

If my finger touches a spot, sometimes it "drills down" as if I touched it, the screen changes, and I touched it again. Instead of finding myself back at a previous screen, I'm completely out of the book I'm reading and back to the home screen. Swiping to get my shelves to scroll up or down isn't as responsive as it used to be. (long scrolls, like through a list of chapters, either doesn't go far enough or goes too far)

As I said, it may be that I just have to readjust to the updated software, but I was wondering if anyone else noticed a  similar change to the sensitivity of the touch screen. I saw another thread that mentioned it in relation to the keyboard. http://tinyurl.com/2dlgx5z

Yes!  I've had my nook since March, so definitely long enough to know how to use it. :smileyhappy:  And since the update i've had it suddenly go all the way to the home screen when i only touched it once to go back one step.

And, more annoyingly, the page turn swipe is doing odd things.  Like I'll page forward and it takes me back 2 pages. 

I absolutely love the shelves though. :smileyhappy:

New User
Jayded
0 Kudos

yes, I have major issues with the touchscreen.  Find it so difficult to navigate.

I've also noticed my battery life is two days max in airplane mode.  That seems awuflly short to me, but I'm not an expert with the Nook.

Frequent Contributor
jratease
0 Kudos

Well, good (I think). Apparently others are having similar problems.

Now, what's to be done about it except gripe?

Seems that it's just something we have to get used to, and adjust to, until 1.6.

Frequent Contributor
lorabele
0 Kudos

I've had strange things happen as well.  I'll try to wake it up after it's asleep for only a couple of hours, and it will totally restart.  I'll start it up and it will go to the main screen instead of the book I was reading.  I turn a page and it closes the book.  Never had those problems before.

Reader 2
LoveLearning
0 Kudos

I've also noticed that sometimes it doesn't register a touch, other times it acts as if I have touched it multiple times.  I thought it was dry fingers in this cold weather, but maybe it's the new firmware.

Contributor
sharonRNNJ
0 Kudos

I too have noticed that (1) the touch screen is not as responsive as in earlier versions and (2) I am frequently booted out of a book back to the home screen when I touch the touch screen while in a book.

Contributor
sharonRNNJ
0 Kudos

I also experience this since the update. Hopefully, the next update will eliminate this problem and others.

Inspired Correspondent
MarkinStLouis

I don't change pages with the touch screen, so I can't speak to that.  I've had issues with the touch screen when I try to scroll: when I scroll down and then try to select an item down the list, the screen will jump back up.  VERY annoying!  I've made several shelves, and trying to put all my books up has been very frustrating.  I agree with what someone said earlier: I had this issue in 1.3 and before.  1.4 seemed to fix it, but 1.5 puts it right back.  If this is the trade off for faster page turns, I'd rather go back to the slower speed of 1.4 (which I had no issues with).

Contributor
RickMilw
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

MarkinStLouis wrote:

I don't change pages with the touch screen, so I can't speak to that.  I've had issues with the touch screen when I try to scroll: when I scroll down and then try to select an item down the list, the screen will jump back up.  VERY annoying!  I've made several shelves, and trying to put all my books up has been very frustrating.  I agree with what someone said earlier: I had this issue in 1.3 and before.  1.4 seemed to fix it, but 1.5 puts it right back.  If this is the trade off for faster page turns, I'd rather go back to the slower speed of 1.4 (which I had no issues with).

I have the same issue. When I try to scroll on a long list all the way to the bottom, it jumps back up. Very annoying. I thought there was something wrong with my nook, so I called tech support and they shipped me a new one. It came with version 1.4 and the touch screen worked fine. As soon as I upgraded to 1.5, the touch screen started acting up again like my old nook. So definitely something wrong with the software update. I agree with MarkinStLouis. I had no issues with 1.4 and wish I could go back.

Frequent Contributor
ellaryk
0 Kudos

I too have noticed most of these things. Also, when the wi-fi activates I can't turn pages. This is annoying while reading. I usually turn off the wi-fi to continue reading the book.

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 54 members 1,017 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: