Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
RR618
0 Kudos

Software update won't install

I am Wi-Fi connected but cannot get the update to install.  There is a message on the screen that says you have a new software update but it won't update.  I tried to do a manual download but I have a Mac and I can't get the downloaded file to open - it's a .dat file - what do you use to open it?

My ereader crashes all the time - I'm very unhappy.

Frequent Contributor
lindag8r
0 Kudos

Re: Software update won't install

RR618:

I have a Mac as well and two nooks.  Niether Nook would update earlier this evening.  Try re-downloading the software and dropping it onto the Nook directory.  I noticed the file names changed from the download earlier, so it appears there has been a correction to the update.  Both of my nooks have now updated, so good luck!

Contributor
restlesscourage
0 Kudos

You don't open the file on your computer. You just save it (either to downloads, or to your desktop, if it's easier to find that way), and then drag it into the main Nook directory. It should work just fine. If it doesn't, you just have a defective unit.

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

lindag8r wrote:

RR618:

I have a Mac as well and two nooks.  Niether Nook would update earlier this evening.  Try re-downloading the software and dropping it onto the Nook directory.  I noticed the file names changed from the download earlier, so it appears there has been a correction to the update.  Both of my nooks have now updated, so good luck!

File names did not change, and never will.  

File names are always signed_bravo_update.dat

Contributor
restlesscourage
0 Kudos

icebike wrote:

File names did not change, and never will.  

File names are always signed_bravo_update.dat

Except if you haven't deleted the last update from your directory, it will be signed_bravo_update(2).dat. You need to delete the (2) to get the update to work.

Wordsmith
Michael-V
0 Kudos

@RR618,

Thank you for posting.  We're striving to improve the reading experience and your input is valuable. 

Has your NOOK updated?

To confirm you have the latest update go to Settings and verify that you have version 1.4.0.

Contributor
bdwiese25
0 Kudos

Related issue -- I downloaded the 1.4 update, but can't seem to figure out how to simply move the .dat file from the download list to the nook.  I'm using Firefox.  My only options when right clicking on the file is 'open' (which I don't want to do; besides Windows doesn't know what program to use), 'go to download page', 'copy download link', 'select all', and 'remove from list'.  There is no option to simply save the file, so that I could subsequently copy it over to the nook. 

I have the same issue with a couple ebooks that I purchased online that are not showing up on my nook.

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

If I remember correctly from when I used the manual process to update to 1.3, you have to save the file to your computer and then connect the Nook and drag it to the main directory on the Nook, not within any folder.  

If I remember correctly, when I used Firefox several years ago, I had trouble figuring out where Firefox downloaded the file on my computer, but I'm pretty sure you can't do it from the download list in Firefox, you have to find the saved file on your computer.

Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum
0 Kudos

bklvr896 wrote:

If I remember correctly from when I used the manual process to update to 1.3, you have to save the file to your computer and then connect the Nook and drag it to the main directory on the Nook, not within any folder.  

If I remember correctly, when I used Firefox several years ago, I had trouble figuring out where Firefox downloaded the file on my computer, but I'm pretty sure you can't do it from the download list in Firefox, you have to find the saved file on your computer.

Exactly right!  :smileyhappy:

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

In any modern version of firefox, right clicking the item in the download list offers Open Containing folder.  From there you can drag to the nook, (and make sure it has an extension of .dat and nothing more.  not .dat(2)

New User
MsKoshka
0 Kudos

I have done all steps accordingly and see the update in the main file of my nook... but how do you know it's working?

I use a Mac and dragged it onto the nook... my nook is hooked up via usb cable * can't seem to get the dang wifi with my airport to work... all I see on the screen is, "if you want to use the nook and continue charging..." it also has a picture of the usb cable.

Does it tell you it's downloading? I realize it will restart when it's finished... just wasn't sure if it did anything in the meantime to let you know it's working.

New User
MsKoshka
0 Kudos

Please ignore my question... I have answered it! :smileywink:

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

Down load to your computer and then when its done, drag it to the nook.

Don't download directly to the nook.

After firefox is done downloading, and you have dragged the file to the nook, then Eject the nook, and it will install automatically.  

If this is still mysterious try watching this Video: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/nook/video.asp?bnit=H&cds2Pid=30195 

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 7 members 646 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: