Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
TangoWhiskey
0 Kudos

Storing ebooks on an micro sd card

I've searched the forums but have yet to find a definitive answer. My question is, can you store ebooks purchased from Barnes and Noble on a micro sd card? Again, I've searched the forums but all I've found so far are back and forth arguments with no real answer. If I've missed something, I truly apologize.  Any assistance would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Making a feeble attempt to stamp out disease and destruction....one patient at a time!
Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,236
Solutions: 4
0 Kudos

Re: Storing ebooks on an micro sd card

I moved the contents of my B&N library over to my SD card by copying the folder and pasting it (to make sure it had the exact same name) and then deleting the contents of the folder in the device memory.  After I ejected everything and opened my B&N library all of my books showed up but I couldn't open anything.  I was only given the option to download them again.

If you copy them into your documents folder on your SD card you will be able to read them from My Documents, but it looks like the nook will only read books as being in the B&N library when they are on the device itself.

AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518
Solutions: 0
0 Kudos

Just curious why you would want to store B&N books on an SD card?  I just archive my B&N books when I'm done with them.  B&N keeps them on its servers.  I also keep a copy of the books on my PC as well (just in case).

►Without order there is chaos◄
Contributor
TangoWhiskey
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Thanks for the responses to my inquiry.

Alan, more out of curiosity than anything. I realize that Barnes and Noble archives my books on their servers, I was just wondering what the big deal was to have memory expansion on the device if I couldn't move ebooks that I've purchased to the card. I know that you can store pdf's and music to the card, but that isn't why I purchased the nook. I use it to read books, not to store music or other documents.

I know I'll probably have a difficult time using all of the internal memory, it just would have been nice to be able to archive purchased ebooks to a micro sd card in the device.  Seems like a waste of the use of a micro sd card if you ask me.  Again, thanks for the reply and have a great day!

Making a feeble attempt to stamp out disease and destruction....one patient at a time!
Frequent Contributor
Weezie13
0 Kudos

Re: Storing ebooks on an micro SD card

Yes, I am also interested in this feature.  I wish B&N would put out a clear tutorial re: this feature.  I was under the impression at first that it would just extend the capacity of the internal memory.  It is my understanding that the B&N downloaded content must go on the internal memory but epub etc. can be placed on the card and opened as usual but perhaps not have all the intended features.  (purely my understanding from reading---not necessarily correct?)  I have been searching the internet for some answers but have not found much.

Weezie
AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518
Solutions: 0
0 Kudos

Quite honestly as I don't ever plan on putting music on my Nook and I fully expect to be using a different device by the time I ever get 1500 e-books I usually just forget that the SD card is even there.  My thought is that it's mostly useful more for music than anything else.

►Without order there is chaos◄
Contributor
TangoWhiskey
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I don't plan on ever using my Nook to listen to or store music. I'm a little disappointed that I'm not able to store purchased ebooks on the SD card. You're absolutely right, I too will probably be using a different device by the time I ever get close to 1500 books, but I find it a bit misleading for Barnes and Noble to tout the memory expansion ability of the Nook.

All of the advertising that I have read, gives me the impression, that if I purchase a micro SD card, I can theoretically increase the Nooks storage capacity another 16gb. While technically that is true, it can only be used for certain files and not for purchased ebooks. That just doesn't sit well with me! After all, when I purchase a real book it's mine to keep with me at all times.  When I'm done, I just put it in the bookcase. I want the same capability on my nook. Oh well, I now have 4 more gigs of useless storage!

Again, thank you for your assistance!

Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,236
Solutions: 4
0 Kudos

I have all of my purchased ebooks from stores other than B&N and my borrowed library books on my SD card.  They all read fine and have the same functionality they had when stored in the internal memory.  If I wanted to, I could sideload all of my B&N books onto my SD card with them and they would work fine too.  They just would show up in My Documents instead of in the B&N Library.

Contributor
TangoWhiskey
0 Kudos

OK, I have a stupid question for you. Is it just a matter of dragging and dropping my B&N ebooks onto the SD card once I download them to my computer? Do I have to create a new folder on the SD card? Thanks!

Frequent Contributor
Weezie13
0 Kudos

Well, I been playing with this a little this morning.  I was able to download free books in ereader and PDB but not ePub.  (ePub was a zip file and I could not get it to work)  and have them work from the "My Documents" folder.  I just dropped them at random onto the SD card.  When I put them in a folder "Ebooks" they did not work.  Also the view by cover option is not present from the "My Documents" folder.

Weezie
Frequent Contributor
Weezie13
0 Kudos

Well I just tried saving one of my B&N books to my SD card.  I just highlighted one in the booklist in the Nook drive and then just slid it over to the SD drive and it copied it.  I opened my nook and just as stated before, it was viewed exactly the same in "My Documents".

Weezie
Contributor
TangoWhiskey
0 Kudos

FINALLY! Thanks guys for all of the assistance!:smileyhappy:

Reader 2
bgfeller
0 Kudos

Could you explain this in a little more detail?  Also, what is "side loading"?  I also want to put my B&N library onto a SD card.  I purchased the nook, thinking that I would be able to do this and keep an expanding library.

Frequent Contributor
MLBerry

Side loading is copying files from your computer to the nook.

Barns and Noble books are downloaded automaticaly and stored in the main nook memory in a folder named "my B&N downloads".  This is the folder that is synchronized to the B&N server that holds the books you buy.  There are other folders in the main memory:  My audiobooks, my music, my wallpaper, my screensavers, my documents.  You may have two other folders labled; .adobie-digital-editions and Digital Editions.  These last two folders are where Digital Editions and librare books go.

All B&N books should go into the B&N folder and they will show up in the B&N library for sorting and retrieval.  All other books are side loaded into the my documents folder.  They show up in the My documents section for sorting and retrieval.  Library books also show up as being in My documents even though the actual files are in the Digital Editions folder.

You can put all these folders on an SD card except for the B&N folder.  The files in the B&N folder can be put in the My documents folder and read, but they will show up in the My documents library.

I have an SD card.  All my library books and B&N books go into their respective folders in the main memory.  I recreated the other folders on my SD card.  All side loaded material goes on that card.  You can use sub-folders in the My documents folder, but the My documents library will not read them.  It will just show the books in those sub folders as if they were not in sub floders.  You could, if you wanted, create a sub folder "B&N books" in your my documents folder and read your B&N books as side loaded books, but that folder would not be synchronized.

The best way to see this is plug your nook into your computer and see what files are actually in the folders and how they show up in the two library systems.  Remember the material in the B&N folder is DRM protected and cannot be read off the nook, but they can be read on the nook even if they are moved into the My documents folder.

Hope this helps.

Scribe
lkmiller
0 Kudos

You can use a microSD card for ebooks (EPUB, PDB, PDF) and music or audiobooks (MP3, OGG).  All ebooks stored on your microSD card will appear in the My Documents part of your Nook's library.  Any images you want to use for screensavers or wallpaper need to be in the Nook's internal memory (in the appropriate folders).

You could use a microSD card to store B&N ebooks, but you will want to archive them (and alternatively hide archived items) from the B&N side of your library so you don't have two copies on your Nook (one in the B&N library and one in my documents).  For example, you could archive the B&N ebooks you've already read (providing easier access to the ones you haven't read), put copies of those ebooks on your microSD card, and still have access to them on your Nook (in my documents) without needing to connect and download them again.

------------------------

@MLBerry,

While most of the material in the B&N folder is DRM protected, it is not tied specifically to that device.

Reader
newfilter
0 Kudos

I am a new nook owner/user I just ordered a new 16 gb Micro SDHC class 6 card for my nook. As I was reading these posts I started to think I had wasted my $, then I came upon your post.

Thanks for a GREAT explanation of how the nook will handle files that I place on the new card.

I am sure that when I install the card, and see how it all comes together I'll prefer having my other owned, and from a source other than B&N - ePub and PDF files on a separate card just for organizations sake. That way I'll always have plenty of room for material that I may purchase from B&N.  I'll probably use a couple of GB for some nice music too incase I am in the mood.

Thanks MLBerry this is my first bookmarked post in the forum.

Best, newfilter

Inspired Correspondent
ivers
0 Kudos

Welcome to the Nook forums! I'm glad you found the answer you were looking for :smileyhappy:

There is a lot of knowledge squirreled away here.

How you describe using a microSD card is pretty much what I am doing... I keep all my B&N material in the internal memory, and all sideloaded stuff from other sources on the microSD card. If I ever get close to running out of internal memory, I'll probably shift some B&N stuff to be sideloaded (yes, I know I could archive and leave it on B&N's servers, but I'm a bookhoarder and I like having them all on my nook!)

The main advantage of the microSD card, aside from being able to add more memory, is that if my Nook needs replacement I can just swap the card into the new one easy-peasy.

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 15 members 555 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: