Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
mitch520
0 Kudos

Sync Nook with ipod touch

Does anyone know how to sync the nook with the ipod touch? What I mean is if you finish on page 20 on the nook how do you start on page 21 on the ipod touch?  Thanks

Correspondent
growlingraven
0 Kudos

Re: Sync Nook with ipod touch

I've never got it to work consistently on the Ipod touch. I think I got it to work a handful of time. I'd really like to hear from someone that has mastered it. (I doubt there is such a person).

Contributor
adspear
0 Kudos

I managed to sync the pages  from Ipod Touch to Nook but not from Nook to the Ipod.

Distinguished Correspondent
peppyauntie121

Oh please...does someone out there have the secret of syncing to the ipod touch?  I have called B&N customer service twice already and have not had any success in syncing to my touch.  I will say both reps were very polite, patient, and tried to help.  I must have spent a total of 2 hours on the phone calls with them.

Now, I, too, can read a book on the touch and then go back to my classic Nook and be synced.  (you have to go to "Go To"  on the Nook and then press for the last page read ).  But my Nook will NOT sync to the touch correctly.  A couple of times it did sync, but not to the correct page.  Now it seems to be on the same page each time.  Why does B&N claim to offer something in their software if they haven't perfected yet? 

But again, the customer service people do deserve kudos for effort...

Contributor
RazmusLeezard

I will grant customer service kudos for help and support. I will condemn the software development team, especially the management and testing people for an inexcusably poor job of requirements management, software interface design, and especially testing. Every damned one of them should be fired! 

No, sync from the Nook out does not appear to work at all -- at least to my iPhone so I assume elsewhere. From my iPhone to the Nook works sometimes but no consistently enough to be considered a working function. 

Hell the hell could B&N release such a poor quality product, 6 months late? Answer: they were too worried about silly stuff like games and a tedious browser rather than core functionality. And the audacity to tout a non-working feature as a feature is disgraceful.

Sadly, I wish I'd gone with the trend and bought a Kindle. I'd switch now if it weren't for losing my library...

-- Carl

Distinguished Correspondent
peppyauntie121

Carl, I agree with all you have said, except one thing.  It isn't worrying about the games that they were too worried about, it was worrying about getting the Color Nook on the market.  That was all they cared about.  And when they added the supposed syncing option to the new software, that was just to appease us "nookschnooks" who only a year or less ago, purchased what was supposed to be the greatest product since sliced bread!  All the while they had on the drawing board the latest and greatest color ereader on their minds. 

The software development team doesn't seem to know what they are doing re syncing.  As you say, touting a non-working feature as a feature is disgraceful!  Especially a feature that is really a prime asset.  I'm almost surprised that the shelves worked so well for me.

As for the games, B&N should know that not everyone is interested at all in games, and not everyone is interested in "highbrow" games like chess.   Some games a little more mindless would be a fun momentary diversion to pass a few minutes for a change of pace before or after reading a bit. 

They better get on the ball with this syncing.  I'm going to call customer service again tonight and see if perhaps someone else has an idea to get the Nook to sync to my ipod touch.  If I get any new theory from them, I'll let everyone know!  Meanwhile, good luck to all....

Contributor
RazmusLeezard
0 Kudos

And perhaps you are correct about the focus on the color Nook. I'd like to know if it syncs better than the Classic Nook?

And I just read an interesting and disturbing article about B&N plans to offer an app store for the color Nook so they can compete with the iPad! Why the hell can't this bookstore get it through their heads that we buy the eReader because we are interested in reading books? I sure wouldn't buy a color Nook with what will likely be a vastly inferior app library in their store when I can buy an iPad and get the enormous world of support and apps behind me? This company has some screwy priorities and seems to be on the path to follow Walden Book down a path of failure.

BTW - I sent an email to Customer Support about sync and the failure of the current software and got the "your opinions are important" boilerplate reply. 

-- Carl

Frequent Contributor
bischost
0 Kudos

This probably isn't much help, but my Nook Classic 3g started syncing with my iPod Touch immediately after the last update.  As far as I've seen, it's worked both directions, and I didn't do anything to inspire it to do so...  

Frequent Contributor
JoeNook
0 Kudos

mine synces up nice to my android phone

Contributor
RazmusLeezard
0 Kudos

Maybe that's our problem -- we're trying too hard! :smileywink:

I've gone through the process in a systematic process as I would conduct any software test and it has failed every time from nook to iPhone. 

THe fundamental problem is the nook. I am on page 314 and set a bookmark so I can get back there. Then select that damned 'go to last page saved' menu item (should be an option for automatic behavior). The nook moves to page 127! Since I had never had that book open on any other device, it is the nook that saved that page number. Try as I might, I cannot get it to save page 314. It probably will on some random date/time or moon phase or lunar tide, but this is the issue. The software on the nook does not work reliably -- period. (At least on my nook which is almost a year old now)

-- Carl

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

Sync does not happen FROM the nook to B&N servers unless:

1) you exit the book with airplane mode off

2) you let nook fall asleep with book open, and airplane mode off

Sync on iphone/ipod does not happen reliably unless

1) you hit that little circular arrow thingie after exiting the book

So it requires a little dicipline on your part, but it generally does work.

Contributor
NN_BigDog
0 Kudos

You also need to make sure you have the wifi ON even with the 3g. That was the only way mine would work, hope this helps!

Frequent Contributor
sf_az
0 Kudos

When you open the book on the nook click on go to then last page saved on BN.com  it then will sync to what you left off on your ipod touch.  It worked for me anyway.

New User
bob6515
0 Kudos

My ipod touch would always go to the page last read on my nook until I upgraded to ios 5.0.1.  Although I upgraded my Ipad to 5.9.1 it still syncs. I have tried everything listed here to get the touch to do the same and nothing works.

New User
bob6515
0 Kudos

Oops, I meant I upgraded the Ipad to 5.0.1

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 51 members 631 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: