Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reader
bookfanLS
0 Kudos

Syncing across programs

Hey guys,

This is my first post in this forum, but from the looks of it everybody seems very friendly and helpful.  I updated my nook yesterday to 1.5 and definitely loving the increased speed of the page turns.  I also have the nook app on my iPhone.  This may be a silly question, since the B&N website states that this is automatic, but I am having difficulty getting my nook and nook iPhone app to sync up page wise.  I made sure that on the nook I have the option turned on to autosave last page read to BN.  I guess there is no master option to auto save, I suppose you must do it for each individual book?  Either way, when I get to a page on the nook, if I check it on my iPhone they do not match up.  However, if I get to a certain point on my iPhone, I can get to that spot on my nook by choosing "go to" and then last page saved at BN.  Any ideas?  Maybe I'm doing something wrong?  Thanks for your input. 

Contributor
ma49
0 Kudos

Re: Syncing across programs

I'm having problems with this also.  I also have a problem when I try to open a book on my iphone that is my current book on my Nook. It tells me that it is in the old format and call support.  If I sign off and sign in again (on the iphone) the book is not downloaded. So, I download it and it does not take to where I left off (on the Nook).

Reader 2
abrinson
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I'm having the exact same issues, Save last page to bn.com is enabled on the ereader but my android nook app won't open to the right page, but I'm able to select "go to last page saved" on the nook device and it'll go to where I left off on the android app. It's very frustrating that something I've been waiting on and am very excited about having isn't working right.  If anyone figures this out please let us all know.

I'm not having the other issue w/ the "old format" message.

Ok, something is definitely up with the sync, now it's not working across my android phone and ipod... those at least used to sync and now they don't. I hope it's because BN is working on the issue w/ the nookclassic

Reader 2
DaveL
0 Kudos

I am having the same issue with my iPad Nook app.  It is not syncing to the iPad.  I have the sync across programs on and it shows what page I am on in my Library.  I've done "check for B&N content" as I thought this might do a manual sync, but it did not help.  It does appear this may be an issue or bug.

Contributor
avosm1998
0 Kudos

I am having the same problem.  After reading on my nook, I open my nook app on my iPhone it is not the last page that I read on my nook.  I have turned on the auto save page on BN.com function but the only time the page will synch is when I turn my nook on and select go to page saved on bn.com which takes me back to the page I left it on with my iPhone.  Hoping this is just a bug that they can roll out a quick fix for.

Frequent Contributor
captobie
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Same issue here.

I tried reading a chapter on my iPod, made sure the app synced before exiting, and then checked the nook but it didn't recognize my last page.  When I reopened the app on my iPod it went back to the location on my nook, not my last read page!  :smileymad:  Very frustrated, I've been waiting nearly a year for this feature and then it doesn't work.  Why can't B&N get it right???

Inspired Correspondent
SHissong
0 Kudos

I have been trying for the last two days and I can't get it to work either.

Inspired Correspondent
SHissong
0 Kudos

I think that I finally figured it out.

If you are reading on a device other than the Nook, you must hit the "Synchronize" button before and after you read on that device.

When on your Nook open the book and hit Go To >> Last saved on BN.com.  This should take you to the appropriate locations. in your book with either device.

Hope this helps.

Reader 2
abrinson
0 Kudos

SHissong, thank you, that at least got it syncing between my android phone and nook.  For some reason my ipod is still not syncing up with anything, but I'll take what I can get.  The nookcolor is at the house, I hope it syncs up...

Frequent Contributor
JulieBulie
0 Kudos

Hi,

I started a new topic on the same syncing problem before seeing this thread.  Sorry for the duplicate.   I'm also trying to get my (classic) nook to sync with an android phone.  I read some of you say that there is a setting for "autosave last page read to BN."  Where is that setting?  I looked on my nook and don't see that option. Thanks to all for your help.

Julie

Frequent Contributor
JulieBulie
0 Kudos

SHissong,

Any  idea where I can find the "synchronize botton" on my android phone nook app?

Thanks, Julie

You wrote:   If you are reading on a device other than the Nook, you must hit the "Synchronize" button before and after you read on that device.

Inspired Correspondent
SHissong
0 Kudos

On the PC app, it is a circular arrow on the top of the My Library folder.

Frequent Contributor
JulieBulie
0 Kudos

Thanks SHissong,

I found the "save last page to BN" on the individual nook book I'm reading (on the nook), and also hit the circular arrow on my android phone nook app before and after reading the book there.  It's still not syncing.  Not sure what's wrong....  ):  

Reader 2
abrinson
0 Kudos

Welp, the nookcolor and ipod still aren't syncing, no matter how many times I hit the refresh icon on the ipod app.  I can't find anything that looks like it'll refresh the nookcolor.

At least the nook classic and android app are syncing.  FYI, it's been my experience that the nook classic only connects and sends the last page read once you hit the power button to put it to sleep once you're done reading.  It's not updating after every page turn, probably a battery life thing.

And I'm absolutely positive I have the same account signed in to all of them. All the books are there on each device, just no universal sync.

Frequent Contributor
JulieBulie
0 Kudos

abrinson wrote:

At least the nook classic and android app are syncing.  FYI, it's been my experience that the nook classic only connects and sends the last page read once you hit the power button to put it to sleep once you're done reading.  It's not updating after every page turn, probably a battery life thing.

Hey abrinson,

How specifically do you get the nook to sync with your android phone?

Contributor
RazmusLeezard

This is absolutely unforgivable and I hope the development lead loses his job! Six months late, the major feature of this release, multi-platform sync, does not work! After several attempts structured as I would any software test, I was able to get changes on my iPhone 3GS to change the page on my nook. (I won't even go into to assinine implementation of this feature on the nook!) I was never able to have any change on the nook appear on the iPhone app. Don't you people know how to test software? You clearly have terrible ideas about human interfaces and implementation strategies. I love this device versus the Kindle but the software is a continuing disappointment. If B&N is looking to replace the project lead for nook software, as they should be, call me!

PS - I will give you the team one kudo for better performance.

-- Carl

Inspired Correspondent
MarkinStLouis
0 Kudos

I've got a weird one: I have "Auto Save Page On BN.com" on my Nook set to off, but when I opened my Nook app on my iPhone - on which I have never opened this particular book - it was synced.  Don't get me wrong: I feel this is a cool feature, but not vital to my enjoyment of the Nook.  Since epub formatting keeps page numbers consistent between devices, it's not a big deal for me to go to the correct page when switching from my Nook to my iPhone.  That being said, if you're going to implement a feature like this, it should work as advertised.  I'm not the only one that uses my Nook, and when we're reading the same book, and I have the syncing feature turned off, I EXPECT it to not sync pages.

Reader 2
abrinson
0 Kudos

Julie,

After turning on "Save last page read on BN.com" on the nook, mine will now save the last page after I use the power button to put it to sleep.  After I've put my nook to sleep, if I wait a couple of minutes and go to my android app I can sync the android app before tapping the "Reading Now" button and it will go to the last page read on my nook device.  It's also working the other way, after I've read a few pages on my android app, I go back to home screen and hit the sync icon, then on the nook I hit "go to" and "last page read on bn.com" or something similar, (I don't have it with me right now to check the exact wording) and it jumps to the last page I read using the android app.

My only issue at this point is that the nookcolor doesn't jump forward to the last page read on other devices (other devices WILL jump to the last page read on the nookcolor, just not the other way around).  Has anyone figured that out yet?

Contributor
mhibbs
0 Kudos

My sync isn't working very well either.  I think it has something to do w/ how often the Nook updates the last page read on bn.com.  My Nook app on my iPhone will eventually advance but it's aways behind.  For example, a couple of days ago I was on pg 45.  Tried a bunch of things to force syncing both on the iPhone via the sync button and on the Nook via "check for BN content" (over 3G only).  I could never get the iPhone to pg45...it was 20something where I had been a day or so before.  Today, I read 30pgs at lunch (2hrs ago).  I just checked my iPhone and it's up to pg 45 which is where I was a couple of days ago, but not up to pg75 where I am now.  So it seems to be working...eventually....but it's too slow to be reliable (or usable for that matter).  

I haven't even tried iPhone>Nook sync b/c I can't get the iPhone to even be current at this point.  I like my Nook but I'm getting really tired of B&N deploying features that are halfway implemented.  How long has the Kindle been syncing?  It shouldn't be this difficult and judging by the number of people with issues, it's a common problem.

Contributor
wildwestmt
0 Kudos

I'll have to try this. I have had no problem if I am ahead on my Nook to open on my android or PC and getting to where I left off on my Nook, but If I get ahead on my phone, or PC I haven't been abe to get my Nook to that spot. I even called customer support and they didn't tell me what you write in this post.

I assume it will work so thanks for the tip.

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 44 members 549 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: