Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
TheRogueNerd
0 Kudos

Technical Problems and A Phone Call to Tech Support

This will be a little long, so please bear with me. I am just so angry and frustrated right now, and I'm hoping and praying someone can help me. The incident started today with my Nook First Edition. I've been tempted to buy a new Nook but I love my first edition, and all I really want to do is read so I feel like I don't need a new a tablet with all the extra stuff. Anyways, I just downloaded a book yesterday with no problems, although I have had problems in the past with "unable to complete the operation" and problems with "network unavaible" even when it says I have an excellent wi-fi connection. (As a side note, I read some of the problems other users have had, I do not have any lent books on my Nook to interrupt the download.) So, getting really frustrated, I decided to call customer service. Whenever I pressed the "nook first edition" button it led me to a dead end, telling me to get on-line and chat, which I didn't feel like doing, so I just pressed the "nook HD" button and asked the man that answered if he could help me, and he said he could. He asked me a few questions, put me on hold a few times and after a few troubleshooting points that failed to work. Then he told me to reset my nook. I haven't really ever been on these boards, this is my first post, and today was my first call to customer service, so I did as he said. Then I told him "it's saying warning, all my stuff will be deleted if I reset my nook!" And he said "no, that won't happen, it will all be there, we are just resetting it to factory settings, go ahead an push it." So I did. Needless to say, not only did it NOT work, it DELETED all my books under "my documents" a friend had downloaded for me. Probably about 20-30 books. So, what did I do? I started bawling. I was crying on the phone to this guy, and he's like "oh, I didn't know know you had books under your documents, let me get a supervisor. So a really nice guy gets on, and I kind of felt bad for him because it wasn't his fault, but I was so upset and to top it all off, it hadn't downloaded the book I bought today, it had deleted all my shelves, and I was really upset. So he apologized, but still asked "are you sure he didn't tell you your books under documents would be deleted?" I said no he didn't and it still isn't working right. Finally he told me they were having problems on their end and it should clear up in a few hours. I said thank you, and he said he'd mail me a gift card for my trouble. Well, it's been a few hours. I organized all my shelves again. It still doesn't work, giving me alternating excuses, network unavaible and unable to complete this operation. I figured while I was waiting I'd read one of my other books that I had already read. When I went to open it, it says "Download." None of my books are downloaded now because I reset not just the new one I bought but all of them. I can't read anything and I would love to hear any suggestions, help, tips, hints. I am going to head over to barnes and noble to see if anyone there can help, but since I'm disabled, that's my last resort because it takes a lot of time and energy to get over there. Anyways, if you can help with anything, I'd really, really appreciate it. Thank you for reading. And if you want to leave a msg that it was stupid of me to believe him--- I already know. -Christine
New User
Nytwynd
0 Kudos

Re: Technical Problems and A Phone Call to Tech Support

Just a heads up Christine.

I spent 3+ hours yesterday ( Sunday) at the local B&N trying to get the books they allowed me to purchase for my Mother downloaded to the 1st Gen Nook.  What I was finally told yesterday was that it was a "known issue" and to try again to download on Monday 9/16/13.  The store also "reset to factory", wiped out my entire library as well.

Well as of 4:52 PST I have tried to download several times.  Called in to customer svc again and was told you will know when the issue is fixed when you can download your books.

Needless to say I will NOT be suggesting my mother upgrade this Nook.

JMW

New User
SlopMad
0 Kudos

Hi guys.

I'm experiencing the same thing.  I've heard rumors that B&N may not support the nook gen. 1 for much longer.  I'm wondering if that time is now.  Frankly, I might be ready to jump to the kindle...my mother has one and she never seems to have the issues I have with my nook.  My issue is I have over 100 books in my B&N library and I hate to give that up... I wish B&N could either get that act together or let us know if they are phasing out the gen. 1 once and for all.  (I asked the customer service lady yesterday and she had a pretty canned response of "we do not comment on that matter at this time....").

Contributor
TheRogueNerd
0 Kudos

Thanks Nytwynd for letting me know I'm not alone, even though I feel bad anyone has to go through what I went through. Well, as a conclusion to my story, I went to the store tonight and did end up upgrading to the 8 gb Nook HD for like $129 or $149- I forget. The guy at my local Barnes and Noble was so nice, so polite. He also told me it was a known problem, of only first edition Nooks. So I said "if I buy this you are going to help me download a few books from the cloud to my library to make sure they download" because he had tried to help me with my old Nook and it hadn't worked. So he did it. He walked me thru the basics and downloaded a few books to show it wouldn't happen again. Anyways, thank you so much for responding! Happy Reading! -Chris
Contributor
TheRogueNerd
0 Kudos

Hey Slopmad, Wow, I never even thought of that. My Nook First Edition has been pretty much good to me up until now. I had one problem a few months ago, but as soon as I walked into a Barnes and Noble with the Nook and it recognized the wi-fi, I went home and everything started working again. I don't know if you read my other response, but I decided after going to the Barnes and Noble store for help to upgrade. The guy really tried to help but it just went back and forth between "unable to process" and "network unavailable" and he said it only happens for the first edition, so maybe they are phasing them out. Anyways, I really like my new Nook, and I made him make sure my books could be downloaded before I left. Thanks for posting and for reading about my issue! -Chris
Contributor
TheRogueNerd
0 Kudos

Nytwynd, I forgot to tell you I'm sorry about all your books getting deleted as well. It blows. Big time!!!
New User
lee18
0 Kudos

I just don't understand how they haven't sent out any communication at all?  If they want to keep their customers wouldn't they want to make us happy?  I think it is absurd if you are forced into an upgrade.  I just wish they would send some sort of correspondence to all of us loyal customers.

Contributor
TheRogueNerd
0 Kudos

Lee18, Agreed. You would think they would tell us something. Well, so far I still haven't rec'd my promised $25 gift card for them telling me to reset my Nook without telling me all my books under my documents would be deleted. But my new Nook is working well. I guess I chose to go with another Nook because I like being able to walk into a store and get help, or look at full books for free. But maybe I should have gone with a Kindle because B&N obviously doesn't care enough to let us know what the hecks going on! Anyways, have a nice weekend.
Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 47 members 773 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: