Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
Billie1950
0 Kudos

Texas Heat

I bought the Nook for my Mom for Mother's Day and we live in Texas. She can't take the device into work with her, but she can go out at lunch and read in her car. Will the extreme Texas heat mess with the Nook and if so, can she keep it in one of those soft-sided coolers (without a cooling iced device in it) to help keep it cooler. Or would she be best served to leave it at home and do her reading on the Nook at nights and weekends?

Distinguished Bibliophile
ABthree
0 Kudos

Re: Texas Heat

Billie1950 wrote:

I bought the Nook for my Mom for Mother's Day and we live in Texas. She can't take the device into work with her, but she can go out at lunch and read in her car. Will the extreme Texas heat mess with the Nook and if so, can she keep it in one of those soft-sided coolers (without a cooling iced device in it) to help keep it cooler. Or would she be best served to leave it at home and do her reading on the Nook at nights and weekends?

I would think she'll be ok:  if the car isn't too hot for her, it shouldn't be too hot for her Nook. 

While she's at work, can't she just stick it in her purse and keep it with her?  That would be ideal.  If that's not possible, I think I'd put it in a bag -- the soft-sided cooler you mention would do -- and leave it in the trunk when not in use.  And I'd turn it off, not leave it in sleep mode.

I'm assuming that she has a cover for her Nook.  If not, she should get one.  It will provide additional insulation while she's working, and the Nook really needs the protection of a cover across the board.

+LORD, preserve the good in their goodness, and+
+in your kindness, make the wicked become good.+
-- St. Basil the Great+
Inspired Wordsmith
donc13
0 Kudos

Billie1950 wrote:

I would suggest she NOT leave the nook in a hot car.    The temps inside a car in the sun can get well over 120 degrees, and that is outside the range for storing the nook or using the nook.

---------
Don
New User
Billie1950
0 Kudos

Yeah, she can't take it in her purse. She works in a place where she isn't allowed to bring in personal items, so it has to stay in the hot car and then she can turn on the air conditioner at lunch and sit and read. Yes, she does have a cover for it. And because of the extreme temps...that's the reason we were even wondering what the specs said and whether it would damage it. Thanks for the tips.

Inspired Contributor
JohnP51
0 Kudos

I'm in Texas too. The only way I would leave my nook in the car is inside a cooler like you mentioned. It should do an adequate job of keeping the nook happy and heat free. You might do an experiment to see by putting a thermometer in a cooler and placing it in the car for a couple of hours then checking to see how hot it got. She might also invest a small amount in one of those windshield shields. They make for a fairly comfortable car for us humans to return to and might help a cooler keep her nook cooler as well.

John

"Books are for people who wish they were somewhere else." ~ Mark Twain
Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum
0 Kudos

Inspired Contributor
JohnP51
0 Kudos

Yep. Cracking windows certainly helps. Before I board my Explorer, I open the drivers door and open the back glass so the wind will blow some of the hot air out of there. That doesn't help with the OP's question but I just thought I'd share a Texas war story.:smileywink:

John

gqb
Inspired Scribe
gqb
0 Kudos

So true about leaving the windows slightly open.  Back in June of 1980, I left my car closed up (just in case it rained - lol - it's June in Texas!) outside before going on a trip.  I returned a few days later, and I had a huge crack in the dash.  This was beginning of the record breaking heat wave. 

Does she leave her lunch in the car? 

Frequent Contributor
Alley415
0 Kudos

I don't think I would leave it in a cooler either.  With the heat, when she took it out (and possibly while in there) it would get damp from the sharp changes in temperature.   Over time, that could damage the hardware.

Inspired Contributor
JohnP51
0 Kudos

I would think it would be okay to store it in a dry cooler. I would not recommend adding ice of any kind for the reason Alley mentioned.

On my previous car, I had installed those plastic rain shields that cover the very top and front of the side windows. That way, I could leave my windows cracked and not worry about rain. Even in June in Texas. In fact, we're getting a bit of rain right now but not enough for me to run out and roll up my windows. Yet.

John

Inspired Contributor
JohnP51

Well, on second thought. The fire ants are running for cover so maybe I should go out and roll them up. :smileyvery-happy:

John

Wordsmith
Michael-V
0 Kudos

@Billi1950,

From page 39 of the User Guide:

Your NOOK should function as designed in these temperature ranges:

Use                              Fahrenheit                    Celsius

Charging                       41-95 degrees              5-35 degrees

Operation                     32-104 degrees            0-40 degrees

Storage                        5-113 degrees              -15-45 degrees

*Even on a day that is not very hot, the passenger compartment or trunk of a car can be extremely hot.  Do not leave your NOOK in a car.

Below is the link to the NOOK User Guide:

http://images.barnesandnoble.com/pimages/nook/download/User_Guide_nook_v1_3.pdf

Your Admin.,

Michael-V

Use

Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum
0 Kudos

Michael-V wrote:

@Billi1950,

From page 39 of the User Guide:

Your NOOK should function as designed in these temperature ranges:

Use                              Fahrenheit                    Celsius

Charging                       41-95 degrees              5-35 degrees

Operation                     32-104 degrees            0-40 degrees

Storage                        5-113 degrees              -15-45 degrees

*Even on a day that is not very hot, the passenger compartment or trunk of a car can be extremely hot.  Do not leave your NOOK in a car.

Below is the link to the NOOK User Guide:

http://images.barnesandnoble.com/pimages/nook/download/User_Guide_nook_v1_3.pdf

Your Admin.,

Michael-V

Use

Yeah, it gets over 113 degrees in a hurry in the Texas heat...

Inspired Contributor
JohnP51
0 Kudos

Emphasis on "in a hurry".

John

Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum
0 Kudos
Distinguished Bibliophile
RHWright
0 Kudos

Thought I'd post here rather than starting a whole new thread.

I am going on a beach vacation soon. I'd like to read my nook on the beach (just like in the snazzy commercials:smileywink:) and I'm wondering about the temperature tolerances listed above.

Are these ambient (air) temperatures? Or do we have factor in that our beloved chunck of glass/plastic/electronics is sitting under hot, direct sunlight? Even not in an enclosed space like a car, these things tend to get extra hot if left in the sun for a few hours. Like while I'm lounging at the beach.

I haven't had any problems for short periods in our recent heatwave, but I haven't spent hours on end poolside or at the beach.

Anyone have any experience or advice with this?

gqb
Inspired Scribe
gqb
0 Kudos

Nope, but make sure to protect your nook from sand by using a good ziploc or by getting a protective case from another vendor (B&N doesn't sell one).

Frequent Contributor
KaufmanGirl
0 Kudos

I live in Kaufman County, Texas and I would NOT leave the Nook in a car at all. Even with the windows rolled down some... not! Your car is an oven, and I am sorry for your Mom who has to eat out in her car. That stinks! They need a breakroom with lockers.

Correspondent
jasmayer
0 Kudos

Given that it is easily 95-100 here in the shade, I wouldn't do it. I'm sorry this isn't working out the way you had hoped - but I'm sure she'll enjoy using it however she can!

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 4 members 461 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: