Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
Rangie
0 Kudos

Text issues with books

I am having an issue with my Nook.  It was working fine until last week.  Was reading a book, and in several places two words were running together withno space (like the withno here).  Also, it seemed like the book was jumping into a new scene, subject, and it wasn't making sense.  I just thought it was a poorly written free e-book, but now it is happening with a book I had downloaded previously.  This is an F. Scott Fitzgerald book, and the words are running together, and it seems like the thoughts aren't complete in this book either.  I kind of doubt that is how the book was initially written.  Anyone else having this issue?

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,013
0 Kudos

Re: Text issues with books

[ Edited ]

These things happen with poorly-edited e-books. The Google Books versions of the classics that B&N "sells" for free are unedited OCR scans of printed books, and generally contain many errors. Even some e-books from big-name publishing houses have been known to have significant editing problems.

Also, if you're trying to read a PDF file, things can get funny unless you're reading at "small" text size, where the page is shrunk to fit the screen.

New User
Rangie
0 Kudos

It's weird though, I downloaded the Classics Volume 2 for $2.99 so it wasn't exactly free although an excellent deal for the books on the volume.  A little hard to navigate, and I didn't have any issues reading the first few books in the "book".  Now, after having issues with text running together on the free book I downloaded, I seem to be having the same issue on the $2.99 book that I wasn't having before.  I guess I should look at the books I read previously and see if it is happening to them as well.

Frequent Contributor
miggy82
0 Kudos

Doug_Pardee wrote:

These things happen with poorly-edited e-books. The Google Books versions of the classics that B&N "sells" for free are unedited OCR scans of printed books, and generally contain many errors. Even some e-books from big-name publishing houses have been known to have significant editing problems.

Also, if you're trying to read a PDF file, things can get funny unless you're reading at "small" text size, where the page is shrunk to fit the screen.

where can you download google books?

Wordsmith
gandalf1369
0 Kudos

YouCanDoIt wrote:

where can you download google books?

uummmm . . . . .from Google!!  :smileyhappy:
http://books.google.com/ebooks

**** He Who Dies With The Most Toys Wins ****
Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count