Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
jojosail2
0 Kudos

That pesky 3g.....

I managed to purchase a book, by way of wifi.  I cannot, however get ANYTHING to work in 3g.  When I'm at home I get a list of several wifi networks within range, all secure and belonging to neighbors, but I cannot get 3g.  I can sit in the same spot on the couch, with my (gasp!) Kindle on my other knee, and get 3g to work just fine on it.  What gives?  Also, at my office in downtown San Francisco, SOLID AT&T country, I can't get 3g at all either. 

The whole reason I purchased a nook (in addition to the Kindle) was to get books from the Northern California Digital Library.  Apparently I need 3g to do that?  But 3g doesn't work.

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,015
0 Kudos

Re: That pesky 3g.....

[ Edited ]

I think you're confused.

The 3G is only for shopping from B&N. You can browse B&N, buy e-books at B&N, and download e-books (if they're not gigantic) from B&N over 3G. You can get updates to The Daily over 3G.

The 3G is only active when there is no usable Wi-Fi system in range, or when you disable Wi-Fi. Wi-Fi is faster and (for B&N) cheaper, so NOOK uses Wi-Fi whenever possible.

From what I can tell, the Northern California Digital Library is just another OverDrive presence, and would work the same way as just about all the other libraries in the US. You need Adobe Digital Editions on your computer, and you'll download the e-books you check out into ADE. Then you'll use your USB cable to transfer the e-books from ADE into your NOOK. 3G is not involved.

Contributor
jojosail2
0 Kudos

Thanks.  That was helpful. 

The thing is, I don't care how I get access to the web as long as I get it.  What you are telling me is that it can't be done on nook? 

If I tap on Web

tap on "go to"

type in www.yahoo.com

tap submit

the nook says "web page not available"

and gives a long list of reasons why it may be unavailable, such as typing url wrong, etc.

It just seems that it is giving responses as if I SHOULD be able to get a web page. 

Confusion reigns.

Contributor
jojosail2
0 Kudos

Also, wifi is on, but the next line down says "wifi hotspot disconnected."  Airplane mode is off.

Inspired Contributor
wendyr67
0 Kudos

The internet can, in fact, be accessed on the NOOK, but only when it is connected via wifi. If it says, "wifi hotspot disconnected" the NOOK is not connected to the wifi for some reason. Tap on that line and see what it says.

B&N Bookseller
miffy1157
0 Kudos

its simple - you cannot use the web browser on 3g, only wifi. you can shop for books on both. try disabling the wifi and let 3g kick in when you tap shop. 

- Caitlin
Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 33 members 277 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: