Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
poperman1234
0 Kudos

The new nook computer update requires credit card?

[ Edited ]

Today I opened up my nook library on my computer, and was just about to open up a favorite book to read again when poof and update popped up. So me being normal me checked what the update was for, it was for the nook computer app (yay). Well a couple seconds later and I go to open up the same book when out of nowhere it asks me for my credit card. The reason this is a problem is because I am 14 years of age and obviously don't know my mother credit card number by heart, also I love to read unlike all my friends and this is putting a serious damper on my summer homework for highschool. I didn't know where else to post this so I am hoping an administrator could just email me why it needs this information and not my email and password. Let it be known though that Barnes and noble have just lost some of my business to there nook book store.

p.s. I might be a little late noticing the update or really late either way some help would be nice.

Inspired Wordsmith
sirwillard
0 Kudos

Re: The new nook computer update requires credit card?

The update didn't change anything here (other than maybe wiping the CC information that was already present). B&N has always required a CC number for their DRM (digital rights management). You'll have to get your mother to enter the CC information (again).

Check out my books on Goodreads: http://www.goodreads.com/profile/wekempf
Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
0 Kudos

There's no charge for the update and you won't be charged again for any of the books you've already purchased.  B&N ties the DRM of the book files to the credit card number that's on file at the time of  download.  Your nook has "forgotten" the number, so you'll just need to re-enter it.

New User
acrTN
0 Kudos

What if the nookbook was purchased and downloaded with a credit card/check card that is no longer active?

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

acrTN wrote:

What if the nookbook was purchased and downloaded with a credit card/check card that is no longer active?

Changing your credit card shouldn't lose you any of your purchased books.  

As long as you apply a valid credit card/debit card to your account, you should be able to read that book on any device to which it is currently downloaded.  

You can also archive and redownload so the book will be encrypted using that new information.  (This just ties the ebook to the new card so you don't have to remember the old card info in order to sideload.)

New User
acrTN
0 Kudos

I updated my credit card information in my bn account, archived and redownloaded a book, and re-added it to my nook, but it is still asking for my credit card info when I try to open it and saying 'Failed'.

Frequent Contributor
geertm
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

acrTN wrote:

I updated my credit card information in my bn account, archived and redownloaded a book, and re-added it to my nook, but it is still asking for my credit card info when I try to open it and saying 'Failed'.

The newer Nook models get the unlock information from your B&N account. The N1E does not.

You need to supply the correct unlock information manually (one time only, it will be remembered).

If I remember correctly you need to use name from your B&N account, and leave out any middle initials.

New User
gstrubinsky
0 Kudos

I still like to keep my CC information private, which is why I pay as much as possible via PayPal. I did not enter my CC info before I read through this thread since this could have very well have been a phishing attempt (the software 'Nook for PC' could have been modified by hackers since the download does not provide a CRC to guarantee the software was not changed). Or it could be a man-in-the-middle attack. I think it is really bad practice to use CC info. Name and password have been proven to work even for online banking. Why not here??? People change their CC's, most have more than one and it's just the wrong information to store permanently.

I bought one book and when I am done with it I will not buy any other from BN. Amazon works just fine, I have several book from them online and my account (email & password) worked for them. I bought this time @ BN since I thought that BN should have some of my business too, but if they chose that way to keep their drm as their key I will just not buy at BN anymore.

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur

gstrubinsky wrote:

I still like to keep my CC information private, which is why I pay as much as possible via PayPal. I did not enter my CC info before I read through this thread since this could have very well have been a phishing attempt (the software 'Nook for PC' could have been modified by hackers since the download does not provide a CRC to guarantee the software was not changed). Or it could be a man-in-the-middle attack. I think it is really bad practice to use CC info. Name and password have been proven to work even for online banking. Why not here??? People change their CC's, most have more than one and it's just the wrong information to store permanently.

I bought one book and when I am done with it I will not buy any other from BN. Amazon works just fine, I have several book from them online and my account (email & password) worked for them. I bought this time @ BN since I thought that BN should have some of my business too, but if they chose that way to keep their drm as their key I will just not buy at BN anymore.

If you're so worried about your credit card info, then why are you using pay pal?  You might as well drive around town with your card number on the side of your vehicle.  Just sayin', it's not as secure as you seem to think.

I'd trust B&N over pay pal ten times over.

Inspired Scribe
kamas716
0 Kudos

gstrubinsky wrote:

I don't think most people have the cash to go around buying from multiple walled garden vendors.  I'm not sure why you would invest in an old Nook and buy one book when you already are in the Amazon marketplace.

http://www.goodreads.com/kamas716
New User
gstrubinsky
0 Kudos

I have a xoom running android and there are book readers for both installed.

I have a few PCs and there are book readers for both installed.

New User
gstrubinsky
0 Kudos

I worked for Paypal at one time and even though some of their business practices towards their vendors are unfair (to say the least), I know that my CC info stays within PP and

- does not reach the vendor

- does not get out easily

But that's not the issue -in my eyes-:

There is NO reason whatsoever to tie a user account to a CC and I would like to have both vendors as option. BN and Amazon and whoever might appear in the future. But momentarily and for this reason only, BN is NOT one of those options.

Finally, I have my doubts that I stand alone.

günter

Frequent Contributor
geertm

gstrubinsky wrote:

I worked for Paypal at one time and even though some of their business practices towards their vendors are unfair (to say the least), I know that my CC info stays within PP and

There is NO reason whatsoever to tie a user account to a CC and I would like to have both vendors as option. BN and Amazon and whoever might appear in the future. But momentarily and for this reason only, BN is NOT one of those options.

günter

B&N's DRM uses a key that is generated using your credit card number and name. This is a one way process. This key cannot be used to extract the credit card number and name it was generated with. This key is sent to the Nook, and stored on the device.
Your credit card number and name are not sent over the Internet,  and  are not stored on the device or in the ebook file.

B&N's DRM is a social DRM. That means that are no technical restrictions that prevent you from sharing and reading the ebook file. This means that you can copy any B&N DRM ebook as many times as you like, to as many devices as you like, and you do not need any DRM server or online connection to do this.

The only thing that prevents you from sharing the ebook (the social part) is that to access the ebook information is needed that you probably do not want to share with too many people: your credit card number and name.

Compare this with Kindle and Adobe DRM:

A Kindle ebook is tied to one specific device. To read the book on another device you have to register that device to your Kindle account, and download a new copy tied to that specific device, using Amazon's DRM server. You cannot copy the ebook to any other ereader.

An Adobe DRM book can only be read on a device that is authorized with the same Adobe ID it was download with. You can only authorize a device with one Adobe account, and you need Adobe's DRM server to do this.

Both systems limit the number of devices you can read a book upon.

It should be clear by now which DRM system is the least restrictive and the most future proof.

Bibliophile
bklvr896

gstrubinsky wrote:

günter

They have to have some method of DRM.  They can choose the B&N social DRM, which allows sharing or Amazon's DRM and tie it to the device and account, so I can't share the books. 

I would rather tie my books to a credit card than to a device.  I can share my B&N books with anyone I'm willing to share my cc number with and in fact, I don't even have to share it.  If I'm with the person, I can load the book, enter my cc number and they can now read my books.  The cc is not stored on the device.  As opposed to Amazon, where the only way I can share the books is for everyone to use the same account.  

So choice, tie the book to the account/device or tie it to a cc and being able to share books with my mom.  I'll take the 2nd one.  So I'm on the other side of that fence.

I have had more trouble with credit cards being possibly compromised due to back up tapes being lost or stolen than anything on a store's website.  And I've noticed that these days, I can go into many stores, and return something without the receipt.  All I need is the credit card I purchased it with, so I'm thinking my cc info is stored out there even when I use it in a physical store.

However, I also use virtual or online secure credit cards at a lot of places online.  The number is tied to my credit card, but it's a different number.  It's only good at the one retailer, so, if someone got my card from B&N the best they could do is buy a bunch of books, it won't work anywhere else.  

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 38 members 257 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: