Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
GadgetDude
0 Kudos

This might get interesting - Library eBook

First off I have to state that I've had my nook since 1/26 and had zero problems.  No freezes, books loaded fine, sideloaded, got the 1.2 update, reading more than I have in years.

One of the main reason's I wanted a nook was so I could checkout ADE books from my local library system that has an extensive collection and adds new titles regularly.  So last night I was happily reading an ADE book and I happened to jump to the settings pages to check something.  When I pressed Reading Now to get back to the book I get this message something like "You no longer have rights to open this digital title" (or something close to that).   Hmmm....    So I tried a few more times and realized that the library "checkout" time must have expired.  I went on-line and sure enough I had checked the book out precisely 14 days before to the minute.  Lesson number one - need to keep a closer eye on those dates, can't just turn something in overdue!  :smileyhappy:

So far the Library eBook experience has been great so we'll see how well the tech handles this situation.  The eBook I was reading wasn't available because someone else had a hold on it.  I put my own hold so in a few days/weeks I will get a notice that it is available.  I will then be able to re-download the eBook into ADE and then over to the nook.  I plan on removing the expired eBook from the nook and ADE on my desktop before re-downloading the eBook.

I fully expect the process to work as designed - it will be interesting.

Frequent Contributor
nookie_fan
0 Kudos

Re: This might get interesting - Library eBook

That is what I do like about ADE, it clearly displays how many days are left on my checkout of the book, good luck, I think everything will work fine when you re-check out the book.

Contributor
_BriaBria_
0 Kudos

When you checked out the book, how did you get it on your nook?  I would love to do that! :smileyhappy:

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

There is a section on this in the manual.  Its in My Documents.

See page 132 here: http://images.barnesandnoble.com/pimages/nook/download/User_Guide_nook.pdf

The Adobe Digital Editions applications is a free download.

Frequent Contributor
nookie_fan
0 Kudos

_BriaBria_ wrote:

When you checked out the book, how did you get it on your nook?  I would love to do that! :smileyhappy:

Adobe Digital Editions is the standard method I believe, the library website should also have instructions on how to download the e-books, mine even had a section for the Nook.  Reading library books has been awesome, I tend to read them faster since I know they won't be there after 21 days (or however long your library checkout period is). Happy reading :smileyhappy:

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 84 members 1,119 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: