Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
Halston12
0 Kudos

Time to change the default credit card.

I'm just checking to see how easy vs. disastrous it is to change one's default credit card for my B&N account.

I own a nook and I hope I won't lose anything or have trouble in general. It looks like the process may be as simple as changing the card on the account and maybe checking for new content on the nook? Please tell me I won't have to unregister, register, so forth. Is there anything else I need to know?

I am also seeing conflicting info on the boards about the books I have saved onto my computer. Will I have to keep my old credit card numbers handy to open these or will they accept the new default credit card number? 

Thanks in advance for the info guys!

Distinguished Wordsmith
Josienjoe
0 Kudos

Re: Time to change the default credit card.

@ Halston12,

I don't believe you have to do anything at all with the nook once you change the default credit card on your B&N account.  

When ebooks require a credit card, it will be the one that was in effect when the ebook was purchased (even if it was free), so it wouldn't hurt to leave the old card info on the account or, in the alternative, keep the number somewhere you can easily find it should you need it.

Correspondent
kivvie
0 Kudos

No great problem. You change the number on your account; you don't have to do anything to your nook. I've had to change mine due to fraud, no issues at all. Quite an easy thing. You can open all your books, no matter which card you bought them with.

Frequent Contributor
Beren
0 Kudos

I changed my default card on my BN account recently--it didn't affect my Nook or my ebook library at all.

Frequent Contributor
geertm
0 Kudos

The great thing about the B&N DRM is that the encryption is contained fully within the book.

Your books are not tied to any authentication server or hardware ID.

You do not need an B&N account or an internet connection to open a book. All the information needed to open a book is contained within the book itself.

Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,236
Solutions: 4

I didn't have to unregister and reregister to change my card, and I didn't lose anything.

Because I'm not organized enough to keep track of old card numbers, I archived and then unarchived the books I already had after I changed my default card.  That tied them to the new card.  Of course, I only had arouns 50 B&N ebooks at the time so it wasn't a big deal to me.  :smileyhappy:

Frequent Contributor
ellsbells930
0 Kudos

If you want to use the books you purchased on a secondary device (like an ipod using the nook app), don't you have to have the credit card number to open the book on that device?

Frequent Contributor
irandamay
0 Kudos

ellsbells930 wrote:

If you want to use the books you purchased on a secondary device (like an ipod using the nook app), don't you have to have the credit card number to open the book on that device?

No, I have the app on our iPad and my iPhone.  I just needed to sign into my B&N account with the username and password.

Scribe
lkmiller
0 Kudos

All the ebooks in your B&N library can always be downloaded again whenever you need a new copy (as long as you don't delete them from your online account).  The new copy will be tied to the default credit card on file at the time of the download.

So, for example, if you wanted to share an ebook with a family member, you don't need to remember what card was used to purchase the ebook.  You just download a new copy, sideload it onto their device, and it will open with your current default credit card information.

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 39 members 893 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: