Reply
Contributor
dl1244
Posts: 17
Registered: ‎07-02-2010
0 Kudos

Touch Screen won't Always work on the new Nook Simple Touch

I bought my new nook2 last week and in reading a book it freezes quite a bit.  I can't turn the pages with the touch screen or do anything with the touch screen.  I can't even power it down.
I can  however turn pages by the side page turners though.  If I leave it set for a while and pick it up to read at a later time it works. Or if I can get it to restart it works then also.

Anyone else have this problem and if so what did you do and did it help?

 

Thanks,

Contributor
Raptor9458
Posts: 15
Registered: ‎06-09-2011
0 Kudos

Re: Touch Screen won't Always work on the new Nook Simple Touch

This is a known problem, and there are several threads dedicated to it.

 

From what I've read, a software update is expected within the next few weeks, that should correct the problem.

 

In the meantime:

 

- Tap the power button on the back to put it into sleep mode, so it remembers your place.

- Press and hold the power button for 20 seconds, to force the device to shut down

- Press and hold to turn the device back on, and keep reading.

I love my N2E!
Contributor
dl1244
Posts: 17
Registered: ‎07-02-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Touch Screen won't Always work on the new Nook Simple Touch

Glad to hear that there is a fix coming.  thank for the info also!

 

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
Posts: 6,183
Registered: ‎01-05-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Touch Screen won't Always work on the new Nook Simple Touch


Raptor9458 wrote:

This is a known problem, and there are several threads dedicated to it.

 

From what I've read, a software update is expected within the next few weeks, that should correct the problem.



Where did you read this?

Frequent Contributor
MikeNC
Posts: 408
Registered: ‎05-27-2011
0 Kudos

Re: Touch Screen won't Always work on the new Nook Simple Touch


deb54mn wrote:

I bought my new nook2 last week and in reading a book it freezes quite a bit.  I can't turn the pages with the touch screen or do anything with the touch screen.  I can't even power it down.
I can  however turn pages by the side page turners though.  If I leave it set for a while and pick it up to read at a later time it works. Or if I can get it to restart it works then also.

Anyone else have this problem and if so what did you do and did it help?

 

Thanks,


I would take it back and ask for an exchange (you are within your 14 day period), or at the very least show it to the folks at B&N and ask them what they suggest.

 

I've had my N2E since June 4 (I pre-ordered mine) and have had it freeze exactly once, which was the first day I was using it.  I power cycled it then, and it has never done it since and it is used every single day for at least 30-60 minutes.  On several weekend days, I have used it constantly for up to 4-5 hours straight, and it has never locked up or frozen on me (since that single time the first day out of the box).

 

If I had one behaving as yours is, I would suspect a hardware issue, not a firmware issue, as by no means is every (or even a majority of) N2E user experienceing this problem.

Nallia
Posts: 4,758
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,263
Solutions: 4
Registered: ‎02-15-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Touch Screen won't Always work on the new Nook Simple Touch


keriflur wrote:

Raptor9458 wrote:

This is a known problem, and there are several threads dedicated to it.

 

From what I've read, a software update is expected within the next few weeks, that should correct the problem.



Where did you read this?


I don't know if this is what Raptor is talking about, but this was in a WSJ article posted on the General Discussion forum this morning:

 

A Barnes & Noble spokeswoman said the company is aware of this touch-screen problem occurring with a small number of devices and that an over-the-air, automatic update will be sent to all Nooks over the next two weeks to fix it. (Users won't have to do anything except have the Nook in WiFi range to get the update.) In the meantime, my touch screen eventually started working again, but holding the Nook's power button to restart the device should fix this problem.

 

The date of that article is June 29th, and we're now at the 11th, so B&N has two more days.  :smileyvery-happy:

 

http://online.wsj.com/article/the_mossberg_solution.html

New User
climbeverymountain
Posts: 1
Registered: ‎08-07-2011
0 Kudos

Re: Touch Screen won't Always work on the new Nook Simple Touch

Today is August 7 and I have had the same problem as well with my less than one week old Nook.  Unless there is a software update, I will probably return this model and continue to use my older Nook.  The only way I've found to solve this problem is by plugging into my computer - and if I'm stuck on a long plane flight when this happens, I won't have any recourse.  Did anyone else find an update?

Frequent Contributor
geertm
Posts: 1,188
Registered: ‎02-09-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Touch Screen won't Always work on the new Nook Simple Touch


climbeverymountain wrote:

Today is August 7 and I have had the same problem as well with my less than one week old Nook.  Unless there is a software update, I will probably return this model and continue to use my older Nook.  The only way I've found to solve this problem is by plugging into my computer - and if I'm stuck on a long plane flight when this happens, I won't have any recourse.  Did anyone else find an update?


Update 1.0.1 has been released, You can download the update from the Nook Touch support page for a manual update, or you can wait for the Wifi update.

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
320
207
177
120
114
Users Online
Currently online:53 members 415 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: