Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
pkathy98
0 Kudos

Transfer a B&N Book from one Nook to another

I have searched the boards and have seen a lot of posts about this but I unable to do this and need precise instructions.  My husband and I both have Nooks.  I purchased some ebooks for him prior to when he got his Nook - as we were sharing one Nook.  I want to transfer these books to his Nook (he set up a separate account).  I tried this:  I hooked the USB cords to one computer(Windows7)  and accessed both Nooks via the My computer function.  I opened the folder that said Barnes and Noble Books and tried to drag one book to the other Nook's identical folder.  It looked like it worked, but the book is not on the second Nook in either the My Documents or My Library.  

What did I do wrong?  

I already know how to side load a book downloaded from a library or purchased from another site.  These, I don't want to share - only the Barnes and Noble purchased books.

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,015
0 Kudos

Re: Transfer a B&N Book from one Nook to another

The main question is, "What folder did you put the e-book in?" It needs to go into the same folder as other sideload e-books. In the case of the NOOK 1st Edition, that's the 'my documents' folder. You may need to do a "check for new content" in My Documents on the receiving NOOK.

Putting the e-book into the 'my B&N downloads' folder doesn't work. That folder is kept synchronized with the account that the NOOK is associated with. For some reason Nook 1st Edition (at least) doesn't bother removing files there that aren't in the account — it just ignores them.

By the way, you'll probably find it more convenient to download the e-book to your computer using Nook for PC (or NOOK for Mac), then copying it from there. You'll get a file with a more understandable filename, instead of just the ISBN/BNID number.

Another "by the way": at least on the NOOK 1st Edition, don't rename files on the NOOK. Rename them on the computer, delete the file with the old name from the NOOK, then copy over the file with the new name. The NOOK 1e reader library firmware doesn't properly recognize renamed files. For this reason, never download directly from a Web site into the NOOK, because the browser almost always downloads to a temporary name and then renames the file if the download is successful; instead, download to your computer and copy the file over to NOOK.

Frequent Contributor
geertm
0 Kudos

pkathy98 wrote:

I have searched the boards and have seen a lot of posts about this but I unable to do this and need precise instructions.  My husband and I both have Nooks.  I purchased some ebooks for him prior to when he got his Nook - as we were sharing one Nook.  I want to transfer these books to his Nook (he set up a separate account).  I tried this:  I hooked the USB cords to one computer(Windows7)  and accessed both Nooks via the My computer function.  I opened the folder that said Barnes and Noble Books and tried to drag one book to the other Nook's identical folder.  It looked like it worked, but the book is not on the second Nook in either the My Documents or My Library.  

What did I do wrong?  

I already know how to side load a book downloaded from a library or purchased from another site.  These, I don't want to share - only the Barnes and Noble purchased books.

The B&N folder is only for books that are synced with the B&N account of a reader. If you want to sideload B&N books you have to copy them to the My Documents folder, just as you would with other sideloaded books.

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

pkathy98 wrote:

What did I do wrong?  

You don't say which Nook, so as to where the books go, it should be My Documents on the N1E, and My Files on the N2E (I think)

Look at this post, it has very specific instructions for sharing books.  It's written for the N1E, so if you have a different model, I believe the only thing that is different is the location on the Nook.

It's much easier to do this by downloading the books to your computer rather than trying to transfer from one Nook to another.  As someone else pointed out, download with Nook for PC, you'll get a recognizable file name, rather than the ISBN.  If you use the download option on the website, you get a number only filename, in the wrong format, as it usually says, 12345566.v2.epub.  You have to rename it by taking out the first period. 

Contributor
pkathy98
0 Kudos

Thank you!!

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 73 members 754 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: