Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Contributor
CrankyBeach
0 Kudos

Tripped over cord, messed up plug-in port... how to get fixed?

[ Edited ]

Silly me, I had the thing charging on my nightstand, wasn't looking where I was going when I got out of bed, hooked the cord with my foot, knocked the whole mess to the floor, unplugging the cord from the Nook in the process. Nook seemed to survive the fall (thank you, cover) but the next time I went to plug it in to charge it, the cord just kind of flops around in the receptacle. If I turn the Nook over onto its tummy and hang the cord just at the right angle, it will still charge, but it seems rather iffy.

I'll be traveling today, and I'm going to stop at the B & N store where I bought it, and see if they have a spare cord I can try with it, so I can find out whether the problem is with the cord, or with the Nook itself.

Needless to say, I'm quite annoyed with myself for having screwed the thing up. Does anyone have any further suggestions, and/or what is the best procedure for getting this fixed? Thanks.

Correspondent
tabascobaby
0 Kudos

Re: Tripped over cord, messed up plug-in port... how to get fixed?

I think you just need to do what you said (go to BN store and see what they have to say). Hopefully you had the extended protection plan that will allow you more leeway with an accident. Hope all turns out well!

New User
lkellyr
0 Kudos

Re: Tripped over cord, messed up plug-in port... how to get fixed?

I have the same issue... except I didn't have an accident.  I had my NookColor plugged in on the kitchen table, charging.  Later the same day I noticed the green fully charged light wasn't on - no light was on at all.  I picked it up, wiggled it around gently and saw a quick flash of green, which then went out.  I haven't been able to get the cord to work at all now.  I hate to think that the cord is already toast (I've only had my NookColor a couple of months!).  Has anyone else had this issue?

Inspired Contributor
CrankyBeach
0 Kudos

Re: UPDATE: Tripped over cord, messed up plug-in port...

I did take the Nook to the store and they tested it with their cord. It's the Nook, not the cord. The good news is, it will still charge, if the cord is hanging just right and the other end is plugged into electrical power. The bad news is, it will NOT talk to the computer, even if the charge light comes on when I plug it into the USB port, so I can't sideload the new books I just found free at Kobo.

The guy at the store said it should still be covered under the manufacturer's warranty, since it's less than a year old.

So I called tech support. I was only on hold for a minute or two. Oddly enough, the representative could not find either my serial number or e-mail address on the system, so she has to put in a ticket for the missing serial number. She did, however, get approval for the Nook to be replaced.

However, I need to call back in a week or so, when hopefully the missing serial number issue will be straightened out, and then they can go ahead with the replacement process. They did issue me a case ID number for what has been done so far. So stay tuned....

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

I had my NOOK Wifi replaced for a bad USB port as well.

I never tripped over it or anything, but it just quit being recognized by any of our three computers.  At first it would connect/disconnect and eventually I got the "USB not Recognized" error from Windows.

Customer service first sent me a new battery, then a new cord and then a new device.  We did a factory fallback and a few register/unregisters as well.

I always thought it was the port, but I totally understood why they were trying less expensive (potential problem) fixes first.

I'm sure once the serial number issue is figured out you'll have a new NOOKColor you'll love to pieces, hopefully not literally.  :smileyvery-happy: 

Inspired Contributor
CrankyBeach
0 Kudos

Actually, it's a 3G-Wifi original Nook, not a color.... :smileyhappy:

I won't be returning it until I get back from my vacation in about 3 weeks. I have a boatload of books on it that should keep me busy through my vacation. The tech support lady said it would be find to wait. Hopefully, the thing will continue to charge properly for the next 3 weeks... if it won't, I'll be up lunch creek without a sandwich!

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

I never had any issues charging, just with my PC.  I think you'll be good.

Sorry about my confusion.  You said "Nook" in your original post; a responder said NOOKColor and, well, I'm a dumb@$$.  :smileywink: 

Inspired Contributor
CrankyBeach
0 Kudos

Sorry about my confusion.  You said "Nook" in your original post; a responder said NOOKColor and, well, I'm a dumb@$$.  :smileywink: 

Naw, just easily confused, like me....  Hey, I tripped over the cord 'cause I wasn't looking where I was going. So who's really the dumb@$$?? Hmmm??????

:smileyvery-happy:

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 4 members 463 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: