Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reader
nutmeggily01
0 Kudos

Trouble moving ePub books to my nook

Hello all. I am having difficulty moving my downloaded borrowed ePub books from my local library to my nook.  I have adobe digital editions installed and open.  I see my books in that library.  The steps I have taken were attempting to drag and drop to files into my documents on my nook.  But it wont do that.  So then I tried to drag and drop straight from downloads, and it looks like it might be on the nook.  But when I load up the nook and check for new content in the my documents folder...they do not appear.  Any help please would be greatly appreciated, since I cant seem to find any info out their on what I felt should be a simple procedure.

Thanks!

Contributor
kjpus
0 Kudos

Re: Trouble moving ePub books to my nook

I had the exact same problem yesterday.

Here's what I did to make it work: You need to connect your nook to a computer, find a ".adobe-digital-edition" (something like that) folder and copy it to your computer and make a backup just in case. Then delete that folder from your nook. Then, fire up ADE. It will now see the nook and ask if you want to autherize it. Do it. Then you will be able to copy your book to the nook within ADE.

Have fun.

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,005
0 Kudos

You need to install library books using ADE.

With Adobe Digital Editions open, plug in your NOOK and you should see a NOOK icon in the left sidebar. Drag and drop your library e-book(s) to that icon.

Also, remove any other copies that you might have created elsewhere on the NOOK.

Wordsmith
Michael-V
0 Kudos

@nutmeggily01,

Thank you for posting.  We're striving to improve the reading experience and your input is valuable. 

How to download library ebooks

Necessary software and authorization:

1.  Download the Adobe Digital Editions software from http://www.adobe.com/products/digitaleditions/.

2.  Open Adobe Digital Editions.  It should prompt you to create an Adobe account or to login to your existing account and then to authorize your computer as one of your five devices. Follow the click through path to authorize the device. 

3.  Attach your nook to your computer via USB which ADE is open.  ADE will prompt you to authorize your NOOK.  Follow the click through path to authorize the device.

To search for library titles:

1.  Go to your local library’s website or search for a particular library online.  You can search for library websites that contain ebook content from Overdrive’s website at http://search.overdrive.com.  Searching by zip code will give you public libraries that have eBook content within 100 miles of the zipcode.

2.  Once you are the library’s eBook site, you will need a library card/account in order to checkout eBooks.

3.  Once logged in, you can search for titles in the following ways

• Entering title/keywords in the search bar
  • Browse by format
  • Browse by subject

4.  eBook titles will appear with format specific indicators (i.e. PDF or ePub) and with icons to display what devices it can be downloaded to.  (Note there is not a way to directly put it on your eReader device, which is why you need to use Adobe Digital Editions)

5.  When trying borrow an eBook title from the library, there will be two options.  The option name varies from library to library but they have the same idea.  For this guide, I will use New York Public Library’s terms and format, which is to request the item or add the item to your eList

• eList is adding the items to your account “queue” in order to “check out” the title.  “Check out” means downloading it to the location on the PC that Adobe Digital Editions is authorized on.
  • Requesting an item – The title that you select might be checked out already by another individual.  You can put a request for the title and the library will email you when the title becomes available to borrow.

What to do with the title:

1.  Once you have checked out a title from your local library, download it to your computer.  Once you hit the download button, the file that you will be prompted to download is a “.acsm” file.

2.  Click open and the file will open up in ADE and refresh your library with new content.  The title will display the amount of days you have left in the loan period.  You can also save the .acsm file to your PC and open the file in ADE.

3.  Go to the library view.  Drag the title to the “NOOK” icon.

4.  Undock the NOOK from your computer.

5.  In the Library, open My Documents.

6.  The title should be available to be read for the period of time specified by the library.

Reader
nutmeggily01
0 Kudos

Thanks For the help!  I now have the books on my nook and its great!  :smileyhappy:

fsh
Reader 4
fsh
0 Kudos

Is this ever frustrating!!!!  I can't seem to get to the screen to authorize my nook with ADE.  That's apparently my missing link in making this work.  Any ideas?  The adobe help people were no help.

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,005
0 Kudos

fsh wrote:

Is this ever frustrating!!!!  I can't seem to get to the screen to authorize my nook with ADE.  That's apparently my missing link in making this work.  Any ideas?  The adobe help people were no help.

According to the many other threads here on this topic, you need to delete the two ADE directories on your nook. Then it will authorize.

fsh
Reader 4
fsh
0 Kudos

Nope---didn't work.  Any other ideas?

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

Well, I don't know if this will help, but I just installed ADE on my Netbook and it recognized the Nook without a problem.  I did NOT get the prompt to authorize the Nook, however, I had the Nook plugged in during the install.  Then I used the set up assistant to authorize the computer.  The Nook showed up, I downloaded a free book, copied it to the Nook, ejected, and the book worked fine.

So maybe if you start over.  Uninstall ADE, make sure all the ADE folders under My Documents or elsewhere are deleted, then reinstall.  Trying have the Nook already connected and recognized by the computer before starting the install.  I have no idea if this will work, it did for me a while ago, and I don't have another working computer at this time to install it a 3rd time without having the Nook connected to see if it makes a difference.

fsh
Reader 4
fsh
0 Kudos

Never mind---I uninstalled everything and started over.  It worked fine the second time around.  Should have tried that three hours ago!

Reader
Lilymae
0 Kudos

This was a big help. I, too, couldn't get the Nook to show up in ADE. Never thought of uninstalling and reinstalling. It showed up! :smileyhappy:

Cheers,

Lily

Reader 4
camray
0 Kudos

I don't now if you still visit this board, but I want to thank you for posting such easy to follow directions.  I have searched and searched and none of the solutions have worked.  I printed your directions and placed them in my nook book cover slot so I will always have them. 

I've had my nookcolor for 8 months and have never understood anyone elses directions.

Thank you, Cam

New User
KLuvsBooks_87
0 Kudos

Thanks, everyone, for your messages, detailing your Nook issues and your solutions.  I can't wait to finally try downloading ePubs to my Nook Simple Touch (just haven't yet -- I've had it since late Dec. 2011).  If I have problems, at least I have your awesome tips and experiences to draw from, to help make it work!  If need be, it's cool to know I can come back here for more help. 

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 51 members 715 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: