Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reply
Correspondent
tabascobaby
Posts: 194
Registered: ‎06-08-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Two Nook Household

all you would need to do is plug your cc number into her nook to verify that it is you and she can read it. (I did that with my mom and a free book from last summer)

Reader 2
mollypop77
Posts: 3
Registered: ‎04-30-2007
0 Kudos

Re: NOOKs for kids

I'm sorry but LOL! I'm totally with you. I was reading VC Andrews way before I should have and my mom introduced me to the Dean Koontz back catalog when I was 11 or 12. But some of the free books are basically porn. I wouldn't say you need to go to the extreme and sideload everything. I would just check every once in awhile. My sister does this with her sons and their iPods. Not because she doesn't trust them but because they can accidentally download the explicit version of a song or album. Since you don't have to enter a password to download content it's possible an unwanted book could get downloaded. And I'm no prude but some of the free books had me blushing to my roots!!
Contributor
jaylady
Posts: 16
Registered: ‎02-09-2011
0 Kudos

Re: Two Nook Household

I am finally trying these instructions.  All of the other books are in the B&N Downloads > Books folder. Shouldn't I put the file there, instead of in "My Documents?"

 

Thank you.

Contributor
jaylady
Posts: 16
Registered: ‎02-09-2011
0 Kudos

Re: Two Nook Household

Hmmm. Maybe this doesn't work on Nook Color? Only on Nook?  Bummer!

Wordsmith
ProfReader
Posts: 1,147
Registered: ‎02-18-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Two Nook Household


jaylady wrote:

Hmmm. Maybe this doesn't work on Nook Color? Only on Nook?  Bummer!


Side loaded files need to be in whatever folder the Nook Color uses for non B&N books.

Distinguished Wordsmith
Josienjoe
Posts: 1,949
Registered: ‎02-15-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Two Nook Household


jaylady wrote:

Hmmm. Maybe this doesn't work on Nook Color? Only on Nook?  Bummer!


This is the Nook Technical Support.  Side loading does work on the NookColor, and if you check on one of the NookColor boards, you'll be able to get more help. 

New User
sjsinc2
Posts: 1
Registered: ‎06-13-2011
0 Kudos

Nook for iPhones

I have been using Nook on my iPhone for quite a while, I love having the convenience of having the books with me at all times, and my phone is always with me.

My wife now wants to start reading my books. I signed onto her nook app with y password and credentials, and it shows all my books, but when I try to download one, it give me an errror message.

 

Is there any way to do this so I don't end up having to pay for two books when we use the same credit card anyway?

 

I know you can do this on Amazon, but I do enjoy B&N, and I already haev quite a few books on my iPhone.

 

Thanks for the help!!!!

Bibliophile
bklvr896
Posts: 4,818
Registered: ‎12-31-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Nook for iPhones


sjsinc2 wrote:

I have been using Nook on my iPhone for quite a while, I love having the convenience of having the books with me at all times, and my phone is always with me.

My wife now wants to start reading my books. I signed onto her nook app with y password and credentials, and it shows all my books, but when I try to download one, it give me an errror message.

 

Is there any way to do this so I don't end up having to pay for two books when we use the same credit card anyway?

 

I know you can do this on Amazon, but I do enjoy B&N, and I already haev quite a few books on my iPhone.

 

Thanks for the help!!!!


What is the error message?

Contributor
DaveinNC
Posts: 6
Registered: ‎06-18-2011
0 Kudos

Re: Two Nook Household

OK, I understand that there are advantages to setting up two B&N accounts in the same multi-nook household.  But how does one do that, given one e-mail address for the household, since B&N account setup uses the e-mail address for the user name?

Bibliophile
bklvr896
Posts: 4,818
Registered: ‎12-31-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Two Nook Household


DaveinNC wrote:

OK, I understand that there are advantages to setting up two B&N accounts in the same multi-nook household.  But how does one do that, given one e-mail address for the household, since B&N account setup uses the e-mail address for the user name?


You have to have a 2nd email address.  You can easily set one up at gmail or yahoo, or most ISPs allow for multiple email addresses.  But you do have to have a 2nd email address to set up a 2nd account.

New User
knittingfreak
Posts: 1
Registered: ‎07-04-2011
0 Kudos

Re: Two Nook Household

Doug_Pardee, 

 

Thank you for the great information about setting up a second nook!

 

 

I read the post about setting them up under two seperate accounts.  I understand that when copy the books that was previously purchased onto the second account, I will be prompted to enter the credit card information that was used to purchase the book.  The question that I have is what if a book was purchased with a gift card??  Do I need to retain that information in order to copy a book into the second nook?

Bibliophile
bklvr896
Posts: 4,818
Registered: ‎12-31-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Two Nook Household


knittingfreak wrote:

Doug_Pardee, 

 

Thank you for the great information about setting up a second nook!

 

 

I read the post about setting them up under two seperate accounts.  I understand that when copy the books that was previously purchased onto the second account, I will be prompted to enter the credit card information that was used to purchase the book.  The question that I have is what if a book was purchased with a gift card??  Do I need to retain that information in order to copy a book into the second nook?


No, you need to know the default credit card number used when the book is downloaded.

New User
Neluca
Posts: 1
Registered: ‎07-12-2011
0 Kudos

Re: Two Nook Household

Please explain/detail the "sideloading". If I USB-connect the Nook to mycomputer I do not see any B&N books on it. So how do I sideload when I do not see the files.

 

Thanks,

Neluca.

Frequent Contributor
geertm
Posts: 1,193
Registered: ‎02-09-2010

Re: Two Nook Household

There are two ways:

1. Login to your account on the B&N website, and download the books from your library. The filename will be just a number, and you need to remove the first dot from the filename so that only ".epub" is left.

2. Instal Nook for PC and download the books that way. The files will have a more recognizable name, with part of the title of the book included in the filename.

 

Contributor
asgardner
Posts: 9
Registered: ‎07-20-2011
0 Kudos

Re: Two Nook Household

My 7 year old and I share an account.  Is there a way to keep my books from showing on her nook and her books from showing on mine?

Distinguished Bibliophile
RHWright
Posts: 1,619
Registered: ‎10-21-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Two Nook Household


asgardner wrote:

My 7 year old and I share an account.  Is there a way to keep my books from showing on her nook and her books from showing on mine?


If you truly wish to share one account, and not utilize some of the sideloading tricks mentioned earlier in this thread, then the answer is no. You can't set which books in a single account appear on which of multiple devices registered to it.

Contributor
asgardner
Posts: 9
Registered: ‎07-20-2011
0 Kudos

Re: Two Nook Household

Sideloading it is!  Thanks so much for all your tips!

New User
JJDesigns
Posts: 1
Registered: ‎07-26-2011
0 Kudos

Re: Two Nook Household

So..Can you have 1 nook set up under 2 B&N accounts? My partner and I want to share 1 nook but have the control of managing our own accounts.

Distinguished Bibliophile
RHWright
Posts: 1,619
Registered: ‎10-21-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Two Nook Household

@JJDesigns:

 

Sorry, no. 1 NOOK=1 account.

 

Technically, I suppose you could sideload content from 1 of the accounts, but that just adds a layer that is a PITA, IMO. Probably easier to save up and buy 2 NOOKs, and more likely to avoid the argument of who gets to use the NOOK right now. :smileyvery-happy:

New User
steve1945
Posts: 1
Registered: ‎07-27-2011
0 Kudos

Re: Two Nook Household

I have done this and my wife may be able to read the book on her nook color for a few weeks and then it asks again for the name and creit card.  It does this sometimes the next day sometimes a month later.

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
323
207
177
120
114
Users Online
Currently online: 4 members 274 guests
Recent signins:
Please welcome our newest community members: