Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
ibrubeer
0 Kudos

Re: Two Nook Household

This link (http://www.adobe.com/devnet/digitalpublishing/articles/barnes_noble_faq.html) gives me the impression that the whole security aspect of needing to key in the default B&N credit card number when sideloading a book is part of the Adobe encryption.  I didn't thoroughly read through all of it yet.  It talks about signing in with Anonymous, but there are limitations to that.  None of this may really be relevant. 

Yes, when I was installing the Nook for PC software (not Study) on my PC the other day, at one point it asked for the Adobe ID.  I wanted to make sure that I didn't do that step incorrectly the first time, so I thought I would ask. 

Frequent Contributor
geertm
0 Kudos

ibrubeer wrote:

This link (http://www.adobe.com/devnet/digitalpublishing/articles/barnes_noble_faq.html) gives me the impression that the whole security aspect of needing to key in the default B&N credit card number when sideloading a book is part of the Adobe encryption.  I didn't thoroughly read through all of it yet.  It talks about signing in with Anonymous, but there are limitations to that.  None of this may really be relevant. 

Yes, when I was installing the Nook for PC software (not Study) on my PC the other day, at one point it asked for the Adobe ID.  I wanted to make sure that I didn't do that step incorrectly the first time, so I thought I would ask. 

B&N does not use an Adobe ID, and B&N programs/books will not ask for it.

Were you perhaps installing Adobe Digital Editions?

Contributor
ibrubeer
0 Kudos

No I was not confusing Nook for PC with Adobe Digital Editions.  All I know is that I downloaded the Nook for PC program from the B&N site, and during the setup it asked me for my Adobe ID information.  Is it possible that this is a change since YOU did the setup?

Bibliophile
bklvr896

ibrubeer wrote:

No I was not confusing Nook for PC with Adobe Digital Editions.  All I know is that I downloaded the Nook for PC program from the B&N site, and during the setup it asked me for my Adobe ID information.  Is it possible that this is a change since YOU did the setup?

I just uninstalled Nook for PC and reinstalled it.  At no time did it ask me for my Adobe ID, it only asked me for my BN User Id.  Some I guess I'm at least, unclear at what point in the process did it ask for the Adobe ID.

I know that my Adobe ID and my B&N ID aren't tied together because I have my mom's ADE logged into my ADE account and she has her own B&N account.

Contributor
Lynnusa2000
0 Kudos

I got a free book and tried to move it to my husband's NC and it refused to accept my name and cc.  I typed it in and every time I did it, it just went back to the same page asking again. I even went to my B&N page to make sure I had the name and the cc correct. Any idea what I did wrong?

Wordsmith
ProfReader
0 Kudos

Lynnusa2000 wrote:

I got a free book and tried to move it to my husband's NC and it refused to accept my name and cc.  I typed it in and every time I did it, it just went back to the same page asking again. I even went to my B&N page to make sure I had the name and the cc correct. Any idea what I did wrong?

Was the free book downloaded with the same credit card you are entering? Try archiving and unarchiving the book.

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

ProfReader wrote:

Lynnusa2000 wrote:

Was the free book downloaded with the same credit card you are entering? Try archiving and unarchiving the book.

And try your name with and without the middle initial if you have one.  I think that worked for me once.

Frequent Contributor
twlight73
0 Kudos

Is there a way to share books between 2 nooks without hooking both nooks upto the computer at the same time?  I have the NE1 & just got my hubby the NE2...we dont share the same taste on most books so definately wants 2 accounts.

thanks for any help!:smileyhappy:

Lose yourself in a good book :smileywink:
Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

twlight73 wrote:

Is there a way to share books between 2 nooks without hooking both nooks upto the computer at the same time?  I have the NE1 & just got my hubby the NE2...we dont share the same taste on most books so definately wants 2 accounts.

thanks for any help!:smileyhappy:

Just copy or download the book to the computer.

New User
xirb
0 Kudos

Hi!

Since it has been about 2 years this since this advice was published, I'm wondering if it is still the best advice?

In other words:

1) If you have 2 Nooks and share the same account, does this mean that the "currently reading" will be syncrozined between them, making it difficult to read 2 different books at the same time (even tohough it would be using 2 seperate devices)?

(I don't care about the syncronization of seperate books - we will not be reading the samme book at the same time..)

2) Do the other "trick" - about copying books from one Nook onto another and then typing in the ourchasing credit card number - still work?

Thank you for any help you guys can give.

(And forgive me for potential bad grammar etc. - Danish is my first language! :-))

Inspired Bibliophile
LarryOnLI
0 Kudos

xirb wrote:

Hi!

Since it has been about 2 years this since this advice was published, I'm wondering if it is still the best advice?

In other words:

1) If you have 2 Nooks and share the same account, does this mean that the "currently reading" will be syncrozined between them, making it difficult to read 2 different books at the same time (even tohough it would be using 2 seperate devices)?

(I don't care about the syncronization of seperate books - we will not be reading the samme book at the same time..)

2) Do the other "trick" - about copying books from one Nook onto another and then typing in the ourchasing credit card number - still work?

Thank you for any help you guys can give.

(And forgive me for potential bad grammar etc. - Danish is my first language! :-))

In my household we have 2 Nooks (first edition and touch) and 2 iPads with the NOOK app all sharing the same account.

Here are the issues:

1) Unless you are reading the same book (at the same time) as another user, you will not even notice the synchronization.

2) If two (or more) people are reading the same book then the Nook will inform you that the book is on a different page on another device and give you the OPTION to go to that page.

3) Side loading and unlocking with credit card number still works.

4) The same books will appear in the libraries of all the devices. There is no way to specify on which devices to display a book. When you archive a book it gets archived on all devices.

5) If you have devices with varying amounts of storage, then the device with the smallest amount of storage will determine how many books you can keep unarchived in your library.

NOTE: The NOOK for iPad app allows you to download your Nook books to your device, and delete the book from your iPad without archiving. This feature is not available on the first edition and I do not know if the NOOK ST has it.

New User
xirb
0 Kudos

Hi LarryOnLi

Thank you very much for your answer which told me anything that I needed to know. Great! It will not be a problem for my wife and me to share an acccount then. More great!

Have a nice weekend.

New User
DarkR13
0 Kudos

Hello, I got a Nook for my birthday and I tagged on to my sisters account. We both got a $20 gift card. We accidentally entered both of them on her Nook. Can I buy a book on my Nook and have the money come from the gift card? Thanks.

Frequent Contributor
geertm
0 Kudos

DarkR13 wrote:

Hello, I got a Nook for my birthday and I tagged on to my sisters account. We both got a $20 gift card. We accidentally entered both of them on her Nook. Can I buy a book on my Nook and have the money come from the gift card? Thanks.

Giftcards are not tied to the device, they are tied to the account. If you share one account both giftcards will be tied to that account. If you buy a book on one of the Nooks (does not matter which one) the giftcards will be used to pay for the order.

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,004
0 Kudos

DarkR13 wrote:

Can I buy a book on my Nook and have the money come from the gift card?

Any e-books you buy from your NOOK are bought on her account, for her account. They become her e-books. You can read them on your NOOK, but they belong to her. B&N cannot take them away from her account and give them to you, even if she asks them to.

If you're going to want to keep your e-books for later, you should get your own account and use that.

New User
realhw
0 Kudos

Doug,  I had tried this exact same thing you suggest (although I put the book under books rather than docs) and it was not successful for me.  So I started looking around for answers and stumbled on yours.  I now put a different book into documents rather than books but I have the same result.   When I try to read the book, I am prompted for the name and card info.  I enter it and it just flashes and redisplays the blank entry fields asking for the name and card number.  I thought maybe it was an issue with my nook so I tried it the other direction too with the same results so I don't think it is this specific nook.  Any thoughts on what might be the problem?

Appreciate your help!  

New User
realhw
0 Kudos

I am having the same result as the person trying to copy a free book where it keeps popping back the entry screen asking me for the info.  It does not give an error but does not take the data either.  Any suggestions anyone??

Frequent Contributor
geertm
0 Kudos

realhw wrote:

I am having the same result as the person trying to copy a free book where it keeps popping back the entry screen asking me for the info.  It does not give an error but does not take the data either.  Any suggestions anyone??

Use the name from your B&N account, and leave out any middle initials.

New User
realhw
0 Kudos

It WAS the middle initial, even though that is on the credit card.  Thank you so much!!

Contributor
jaylady
0 Kudos

My mom is having the same problem.  She could read my books just fine--until a recent update. But now, even when she enters the correct name and credit card information, it is not accepted. :smileysad:

I suspect that a recent update added code to 'catch' sideloaded books.  If anyone figures out how to make this work again (like it used to!!), please post the workaround here!

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 41 members 641 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: