Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reader 4
gillygirl
0 Kudos

Re: Two Nook Household

In my family we have a total of 5 nooks w/different accounts & we are all able to sideload & read from others after entering the CC the first time. We all have nook wifi/3G version 1.5.0

New User
ConstantReader73
0 Kudos

So, I read this entire thread and can't find an answer for my question.  I have a nook and, last month, I had my daughter download the B&N e-reader app on her laptop so I could lend her one of my books.  I lent it to her, but she didn't get a chance to read it before the two weeks was up.  Is it possible for me to sideload the book from my PC to a flash drive and then onto her laptop so she can read it?  If I can figure out a way to get the book into her documents, I might not even have to enter my CC number when she opens the book, because I let her use that CC to set up her own B&N account when she first downloaded the reader. 

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,015
0 Kudos

ConstantReader: just copy the file over and have her add it to "My Stuff" in her NOOK for PC.

New User
ConstantReader73
0 Kudos

Thanks for the quick reply.  I will have to put the Nook for PC on my computer also, right? 

I know I sound like an idiot, but I just got the nook for Christmas, and although I use the computer to order and buy books, so far I've only downloaded them directly to my Nook, so this will be the first time I've actually put the books on the computer.  Can I download them to the computer even though they are already downloaded to my Nook, or will I have to archive them first?

Thanks again for your help! :smileyhappy:

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

ConstantReader73 wrote:

Thanks for the quick reply.  I will have to put the Nook for PC on my computer also, right? 

I know I sound like an idiot, but I just got the nook for Christmas, and although I use the computer to order and buy books, so far I've only downloaded them directly to my Nook, so this will be the first time I've actually put the books on the computer.  Can I download them to the computer even though they are already downloaded to my Nook, or will I have to archive them first?

Thanks again for your help! :smileyhappy:

You don't have to, but this is how I do it.  

Download NOOK for PC.  Click the setting in "account settings" to automagically download new purchasses.  You can download them to your computer, copy the directory to another computer, to a flash drive, probably burn to CD without archiving on NOOK.

Then move it to her computer via thumb drive, or even emailing.  You'll need handy your current default credit card since the encryption for these copies is based on that card.  She'll open it after pulling it into "My Files" and you'll have to type it in.

Admittedly, I've done this with my computer and father-in-law's NOOK, not from computer to computer, but the process should be the same.

Contributor
adagramp
0 Kudos

Trying to copy a book from one Nook to another per Doug's helpful post. But when I connect the nook that has the book, explore My B&N downloads, the book titles do not show, just a string of numbers, file size, etc. What am I missing? I suppose I could download the book again and sideload it to the other nook, right?

Distinguished Wordsmith
Josienjoe
0 Kudos

adagramp wrote:

Trying to copy a book from one Nook to another per Doug's helpful post. But when I connect the nook that has the book, explore My B&N downloads, the book titles do not show, just a string of numbers, file size, etc. What am I missing? I suppose I could download the book again and sideload it to the other nook, right?

Have you tried to download the ebook to your computer and then sideload to the other nook?  I don't believe you can move them nook to nook, but, of course, if I'm wrong, someone else will chime in.

Contributor
adagramp
0 Kudos

Yes, that worked. An earlier post made me think there was a way to copy from nook to nook, with a computer in between.  Thanks.

Distinguished Wordsmith
Josienjoe
0 Kudos

adagramp wrote:

Yes, that worked. An earlier post made me think there was a way to copy from nook to nook, with a computer in between.  Thanks.

Glad you got it sorted out.

Happy reading.  :smileyhappy:

Contributor
doggiemom2
0 Kudos

adagramp wrote:

I have this same problem. Is there a way to get the names to show up? After I buy a new book, should I put it somewhere on my computer and change the name?

~♥~Amy~♥~
:smileytongue: "Dogs are not our whole lives, but they make our lives whole." Roger Carras
Contributor
doggiemom2
0 Kudos

I downloaded Nook for the PC. Where is MyLibrary located? I don't see a folder anywhere on my computer with my books.

~♥~Amy~♥~
:smileytongue: "Dogs are not our whole lives, but they make our lives whole." Roger Carras
Contributor
adagramp
0 Kudos

Mine do show up when I open the Nook for PC app. You may have to click a tab on the left side to show the menu.

Reader
JerseyJG
0 Kudos

I am new to the forum so I i repeat what has been posted, please forgive me.  I just want to convey my experience with the Nook.  I bought a NC for my wife for Christmas and she has read several books without an issue.  The books she purchased were with a Gift card, no problems until this week.  This week she bought me a NC for my birthday and immediately I wanted to read one of the books from her NC.  I read the posts here and followed the instructions on how to copy books from one Nook to another.  Here is what worked for me.

I plugged both Nooks into my PC via the USB's.  Each Nook will show up as separate removable Drive letters.  After you get the drives, you go to the Nook that has the books and browse to the folder where the books reside, and then copy whatever you want to the second Nook, but put the files in the MY Documents folder, as mentioned in an earlier post.  The only issue I had was trying to UNLOCK the book on my NC, but I finally figured it out and here is what I did:

The books were purchased with Gift Cards, once we used up the amount of the card, we removed it from my wife's BN account, BIG MISTAKE, after you use the amount on the card, leave it there, don't remove it.  What I did was add the gift card back onto her account and made it the Default Credit Card, then I tried to unlock the book, but it didn't work, here is the Caveat....."You have to turn on the WiFi first", and then UNLOCK the book on the second book

using the Card that was used to purchase the book.  I tried several times but it didn't work until my NC was connected to the WEB.

I believe that BN verifies the Card Number with their database that is stored at B&N, once it does the books with unlock.

Sorry for being wordy, but I just wanted to post my experience so other's don't curse out BN as much as I did trying to Unlock a book.

Joe

Reader 2
Rimshot10
0 Kudos

One quick question: When sideloading BN nookbooks, will they show up under "My Documents" or "My B&N Library"? We're considering buying two, too.

Scribe
Haleakala_LKB
0 Kudos

Rimshot10 wrote:

One quick question: When sideloading BN nookbooks, will they show up under "My Documents" or "My B&N Library"? We're considering buying two, too.

My Documents.

LisaB

Contributor
lkpj
0 Kudos

Re: Two Nook Household, HELP I NEED STEP BT STEP INSTRUCTIONS

Doug, I got a NOOKColor for xmas and gave my husband my NOOK.  We have seperate accounts, and I would like to "give" or share a book with him.  I plugged my NOOK in and found the books, but they are all by numbers and I can't figure out which book it is. (I have over 400 books!)  Also I need to know step by step how to copy the book to his computer so he can dowload it to his NOOK.  Thanks agead of time for your help.  So far he only reads for free, figuring I buy enough for the both ofr us!

Bookin' it forever!
Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

Re: Two Nook Household, HELP I NEED STEP BT STEP INSTRUCTIONS

[ Edited ]

lkpj wrote:

Doug, I got a NOOKColor for xmas and gave my husband my NOOK.  We have seperate accounts, and I would like to "give" or share a book with him.  I plugged my NOOK in and found the books, but they are all by numbers and I can't figure out which book it is. (I have over 400 books!)  Also I need to know step by step how to copy the book to his computer so he can dowload it to his NOOK.  Thanks agead of time for your help.  So far he only reads for free, figuring I buy enough for the both ofr us!

Regarding the books as all numbers, I recommend you download and install Nook for PC.  Then sign into YOUR account in Nook for PC and use the sync option to download the books to the PC.  That will put them in a specific folder My Barnes and Noble Books or something like that, and they will have numbers but at least part of the book name, that will make it easier to identify the books.

As for instuctions on sideloading, lat the link I put below for Doug's intructions on sharing books on the Nook.  I believe there's a video tutorial about sideloading books in the support section.

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOK-Q-A-and-Support/Two-Nook-Household/m-p/520027#M9786

Reader
KageyMA
0 Kudos

That sounds like a great solution!   Thanks

Reader
mcnadroj
0 Kudos

So I tried your instructions.

I have a book on my nook that I wanted to put on my wife's nook.  I downloaded the book from the B&N site to my computer and then loaded it onto her nook by copying it to the my documents folder on her nook.  When I try to open it on her nook I do not get the credit card information prompt.  Instead, I got a message saying "unsupported file type."  The book won't open at all.  Am I doing something wrong?  Do I need to remove it from my nook in order for it work on her?

Any help anyone could give would be great.

Thanks

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

mcnadroj wrote:

So I tried your instructions.

I have a book on my nook that I wanted to put on my wife's nook.  I downloaded the book from the B&N site to my computer and then loaded it onto her nook by copying it to the my documents folder on her nook.  When I try to open it on her nook I do not get the credit card information prompt.  Instead, I got a message saying "unsupported file type."  The book won't open at all.  Am I doing something wrong?  Do I need to remove it from my nook in order for it work on her?

Any help anyone could give would be great.

Thanks

If you downloaded it using the download button on the website, then it most likely came down with a file name something like 12341234.v2.epub.  You need to rename the file, on your computer, removing the first period, like 12341234v2.epub.  Delete the old one off the Nook and then copy the newly renamed file to the My Documents folder on the Nook.

If you install Nook for PC and use it to download the books, they will download with a correct file name that also includes at least part of the book title.

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 42 members 261 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: