Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
JustTrish
0 Kudos

Re: Two Nook Household

icebike wrote:

JustTrish wrote:

Okay, quick question: what if the book was purchased with a gift card?  Am I going to keep them and sort out which book was purchased with which?  I told all my sons to give me B&N gift cards for Mother's Day, so now I have four!

It doesn't matter how the book was purchased.

Anytime you download (to your computer or to your nook) the book is encrypted with your DEFAULT credit card.  

You can purchase with different credit cards, gift cards, etc, but each book will be encrypted with whatever was the DEFAULT credit card in your account at the time you download it.  You enter that card number once and your nook creates a decryption key from it and remembers that key forever.  You won't be asked again.

Thanks so much for the quick response.

TV

Frequent Contributor
Xemrac
0 Kudos

Newbie Question ... I will be purchasing a NOOK for my husband this afternoon.  Will I be able to register it with the same card that I registered mine with?

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,005
0 Kudos

Xemrac wrote:

I will be purchasing a NOOK for my husband this afternoon.  Will I be able to register it with the same card that I registered mine with?

Certainly. You can use the same credit card on multiple accounts.

Inspired Bibliophile
LarryOnLI
0 Kudos

@Xemrac,

You have a couple of options:

Register the new nook to the same account as your current nook. In that case it will use the same card for purchases as your current nook. I will not go into the pros and cons of multiple nooks sharing the same account as that has been discussed multiple times.

Register the new nook to a new account. In this case you can choose to use the same credit card as the default payment for the new account or use a different card. It will make no difference.

I am not sure but suspect that if you use the same default credit card on two different accounts, you will be able to share books (via sideloading) without having to enter credit card information to unlock them.

Frequent Contributor
Xemrac
0 Kudos

Thank you ... hubby is kind enough to support my reading addiction and this is going to be a surprise for him when he gets home from this run (long-haul trucker).  My being able to use same card on both will let me have it up and running when I hand it to him.

Frequent Contributor
_deb_
0 Kudos

Re: NOOKs for kids

Ages of the children make the difference - that I can tell you as the parent of 4 GREAT and trust worthy kids.  Curiosity can hit at any time - to any one - so  you should be aware that in the Romance category of the B & N online eBook offerings, there is an erotica section that has very explicit material.

Hope to see you later at...

Reader
Lyns
0 Kudos

My husband and I started out with one account for both nooks, now I am seeing the value in having 2 separate accounts.  How would that work at this point with the  joint library.  We also are currently reading the same book is that possible with side loading?  I am afraid my brain is just not wrapping around the whole idea of how this would work.

Correspondent
Rasyr
0 Kudos

Contributor
bkrdr
0 Kudos

Does this also work for a 2 -iPhone family. Can we share books? What about other ereaders? I'm hoping to have a Pandigital Novel soon.

Correspondent
Red11
0 Kudos

I have a similar question.  I have a Nook and my daughter has I-Pod Touch. She is wanting to read a couple of books I have purchased.  I know that I can download the software onto her Touch, but I really do not want her to have access to all of my books (some not appropriate).  Can I register her with her own account and copy my purchases to her Touch?  I really do not want to have to purchase more than once and we share hardbacks.

Thanks!

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

Mr Jobs does not think you are competent enough to allow you to put things on your own Touch without going thru iTunes, or direct download into the app.

So This gets tricky, since iTunes can't put books directly into the B&N reader app, you have to download them, and then you would have to change the password on the account somehow.

Shared account is not a good solution.  

If the book can be finished in 14 days, you could set up an account for her and maybe lend it to her (not all books are lend-able).

Inspired Bibliophile
LarryOnLI
0 Kudos

Red11 wrote:

I have a similar question.  I have a Nook and my daughter has I-Pod Touch. She is wanting to read a couple of books I have purchased.  I know that I can download the software onto her Touch, but I really do not want her to have access to all of my books (some not appropriate).  Can I register her with her own account and copy my purchases to her Touch?  I really do not want to have to purchase more than once and we share hardbacks.

Thanks!

As icebike said in his reply above, Apple will not let you load files (like eBooks) to the iPod without going through iTunes.

However there might be a solution. I have not tried this so can not guarantee it will work.

If you load the Apple iBook application onto the iPod (this is supposed to be available with iPod OS 4 available soon) you can then use iTunes to sideload your B&N eBooks into the iBook app.

The iBook app will be unable to open the B&N eBooks because it uses a different DRM, but once the books have been loaded to the iPod you can launch the B&N reader app on the iPod and load the books.

Correspondent
Red11
0 Kudos

Thank you both for your replies.  Didn't think about the issues that would come with Apple being so darn picky about what you can and cannot load.  She may just have to read the book in paper form (gasp)!!  :smileyvery-happy:

Contributor
esa01
0 Kudos

Thanks for this info, does it still work if u have 2 Adobe acccnts?? just give cc info to Adobe also??

Doug_Pardee
0 Kudos

esa01 wrote:

Thanks for this info, does it still work if u have 2 Adobe acccnts?? just give cc info to Adobe also??

No, Adobe uses a completely different system. You can't share e-books between Adobe accounts, but you can share an Adobe account among six computers and six devices. See the link in my signature.

Contributor
nuyear75
0 Kudos

Am I understanding this correctly????

You can have 2 accounts in the same household and both read the books from each account. Does that mean you can read the books at the same time? Is this like the lend me feature, will we only have two weeks to read the book and then it leaves our Nook?

I seem to get myself more confused about it the more I read the posts:smileywink:  lol

Doug_Pardee
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

nuyear1975 wrote:

Am I understanding this correctly????

You can have 2 accounts in the same household and both read the books from each account. Does that mean you can read the books at the same time? Is this like the lend me feature, will we only have two weeks to read the book and then it leaves our Nook?

I seem to get myself more confused about it the more I read the posts:smileywink:  lol

Check out the link in my signature.

The DRM system that Barnes & Noble uses is a simple one. The e-book is encrypted using a key that is derived from the name and credit card number that was the 'default credit card' when the e-book was downloaded. Anyone who knows that name and credit card number can read that e-book. B&N figures that you're not going to post your credit card number on the Web.

This system only applies to Barnes & Noble and to the 'Secure eReader' format e-books that you can get from B&N subsidiaries Fictionwise and eReader.com.

It has nothing to do with Lend-Me. Lend-Me allows you to safely lend e-books to total strangers. There are even Web sites set up to help strangers 'hook up' to share e-books.

Contributor
nuyear75
0 Kudos

This sounds easy enough...I have read through all of it and have a couple questions, I am not computer savvy!

If we each have an account and want to share a book, we hook both Nooks to one computer and download the book to the one needing the book...get CC info and then just store it on the documents folder, right? Can this be done by hooking only one Nook to the computer and going to the account through B&N.com or do you have to do it through the Nooks? Also, do you have to have internet access to swap between the Nooks? I don't want to mess this up when I go to do it and lose any information!

Thanks for the help:smileyhappy:

Inspired Bibliophile
LarryOnLI
0 Kudos

nuyear1975 wrote:

This sounds easy enough...I have read through all of it and have a couple questions, I am not computer savvy!

If we each have an account and want to share a book, we hook both Nooks to one computer and download the book to the one needing the book...get CC info and then just store it on the documents folder, right? Can this be done by hooking only one Nook to the computer and going to the account through B&N.com or do you have to do it through the Nooks? Also, do you have to have internet access to swap between the Nooks? I don't want to mess this up when I go to do it and lose any information!

Thanks for the help:smileyhappy:

Whichever nook is registered to the account the book has been bought in can download the book normally.

You can either then connect the nook to your computer and copy the book from the nook to your computer or download it directly from the B&N website to your computer. I would recommend the later since the name of the book file on your nook is based on the ISBN number and might be hard to recognize.

THe connect the other (target) nook to the computer and copy the book file to the "my documents" folder on the target nook.

Eject the target nook from the computer and attempt to open the book. If the book was encrypted with a key that is not already on the target nook then you will be prompted to enter your credit card info.

Distinguished Correspondent
AikiPen
0 Kudos

Very interesting topic! I've been trying to figure out what to do with my son since I just ordered him the Nook Wi-If on Monday. Thanks for all the great info.

Now B&N are you listening? Since the price drop I can see lots of parents buying Nooks for kids. I think we need changes on the accounting end of things for families.

My vision of a perfect B&N account world:

-A master account with a credit card number

-The ability to create 'sub' accounts under the master account and designate the sub account as either an adult or a child. An adult account can purchase from the credit card. A child account can only purchase from a gift card.

-Each account can list their own private gift cards.

-Adult accounts can download all books in the family library

-Child accounts can only download books they purchase and anything the master account holder has designated as suitable for all family members.

I know it is only a pipe dream but I can still dream right?:smileywink:

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 40 members 612 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: