Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

Re: Two Nook Household

AikiPen wrote:

I've been trying to figure out what to do with my son since I just ordered him the Nook Wi-If on Monday. 

I've been trying to figure out what to do with mine for 32 years.

Distinguished Correspondent
AikiPen
0 Kudos

AikiPen wrote:

I've been trying to figure out what to do with my son since I just ordered him the Nook Wi-If on Monday. 

icebike replied:

:smileyvery-happy: Good luck with that! If you figure it out please post!!

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

icebike wrote:

LOL, that made me chuckle.

Contributor
nuyear75
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I now have the book that I want on my computer, but how do I get it on my Nook?  I must be totally dumb because I can not find how to get it on the Nook:smileysad:   Please be patient with me, once I do it I will never have to ask again...lol

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike

Try this video... It covers most of what you will need:

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/nook/video.asp?bnit=H&cds2Pid=30195#vid2

Contributor
nuyear75
0 Kudos

PERFECT....thank you so much!!

Contributor
nuyear75
0 Kudos

I have watched the video and done as it says...Now my Nook seems to be stuck on Checking for New Items. it has been there for about 20 minutes now. How long should it take for this book to load? Did I do something wrong?

UGH....please help!

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

It usually only takes seconds. 

How many ebooks did you put  on the nook?  And did you put them in the My Documents folder?

What you put there were all .pdb, .ebub or .pdf right?

Huge .pdfs are the only thing that I can think of that might take a while.

If all else fails, power down, by holding the top button down for 20 seconds and reboot.

Contributor
nuyear75
0 Kudos

It was only one book and it was an epub file....I will try powering down and rebooting to see if it changes things at all

Contributor
nuyear75
0 Kudos

ebooting worked...thanks!  Now I have two copies of the book though, is there a way to delete one of them?

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

Same way you got them on there , by doing it with your computer.
Contributor
MarieH
0 Kudos

You can but you'd rather have 2 separate accounts as said in most responses.  You can share by letting her logging into your account.  You can read one book at the same time since they don't have auto sync of last page read between devices...unlike the kindle.  I've tried that with a friend and finished the book with no problems at all.  But just make sure you do that with a trusted person who will not mess up your account.  Otherwise, just sideload it with her nook using the adobe digital editions.  If you're loaning ebooks from the library they have that software. Add the ebooks you want to loan there, then open her nook account in your computer. Click on my stuffs, then add new item tab.  Open the my digital edition folder, then open the ebook you want to loan. It doesn't disappear from your library...but she has a copy of her own too.  Tried that several times already from the materials i loan from the library, when i want to read on the go.  When it's due, it's locked in my adobe software, but I still can read it in my unit to finish it..then the option is yours...I delete when I'm done as the law goes. =( Hope this one helps.

Contributor
MarieH
0 Kudos

Or You may go to their BN account online and manage it there.  That's the only way you can delete it...i think.  That's how the digital support taught me how.

Contributor
GemRem
0 Kudos

My family hs 3 nooks all registered to the sme account.

We have had absolutely no problems with this at all.

My Dad is in France with his, my sister in NH with hers, and I am in CA with mine.  The sideloading option is obviously not possible for us and having them linked to the sme account means anytime one of us buys  book, we all have it.

Additionally, I am not sure what is officially supposed to happen, but here are some points that I can verify as true from us having all 3 nooks in daily use since February.

• All three of us CAN read the same book at the same time.  For each of us, the book opens to the last read page on our individual devices.

• When I archive a book from my nook, it still appears on the other two until they archive it.  If I archive a book from our B&N account online, it archives on all devices upon the next "search for new content"

• We each have unlimited time to read each book, unlike the lendme feature.  Sometimes we need more than 2 weeks to read a book, and the lendme feature is not available for all books, so this was never really a solution for us.

• When any one of us purchases book from our nook device, it appears on the others on the next log on - all are charged to the same default credit card but we get around this by buying gift cards from our personal accounts and loading them onto the default account so that we can share in the cost of the books.

From what I can tell, we share the same account but our devices are separate and within our individual control.  Again, I have no idea what is meant to happen in theory, but I can tell you from my personal experience that it works and that using one account is most definitely the best option for families with similar reading tastes.

I would say log both onto the same account first.  If you don't like how it's working, you can alwys unregister your Nook and reregister to a new account.  That way you have nothing to lose :smileyhappy:

Distinguished Correspondent
very-simple
0 Kudos

GemRem:

For now what you're doing will work, but at some point B&N will get around to instituting syncing across all devices, which will mess up your ability to read the same book at the same time.  As far as sideloading from one party to another while you're in different locations?  Of course you can do this.  Just download the file and e-mail it to the person you want to share it with - they're very small files so they're super easy to attach.  Since you're all currently sharing the same account (and are family members!), I'm assuming you wouldn't have problem sharing your credit card number as the unlock key to open these sideloaded books.  

New User
SerendipityJB
0 Kudos

My nook is not showing up on the left had side of the adobe digital program. I was able to use Adobe digital once to tranfer a library book to my nook so it has worked before. Then I tried using my MAC and now either machine will recognize my nook in the Adobe program.

Help!! :smileywink:

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

Either or Neither?

You may have the hozed .adobe_digital_editions folder problem.  Remove that folder

(Very-Simple says its easier to kill this folder on windows.)

Then start over and ADE should re-create it for you.

Reader 4
Brooke33KT
0 Kudos

I know I'm a little tardy to this discussion but I too bought my 8yr old son his own nook, he has the wifi, I have 3G. His is setup with my CC but has it under his email addy, I have loaded gift cards onto his acct, those get used first. He has all his own titles on his nook and I have mine! He knows that he is not allowed to buy books without my knowledge, so he just logs onto his B&N acct (I made the kids ebooks section a favorite on his netbook) and he wishlists what he wants to read next. Once he finishes 2-3 books I let him choose 2-3 more from his wishlist to buy. Works well and I just love that he loves reading! He has even mastered using the touchscreen to turn pages. Kids are very tech savvy today so this is perfect!

Distinguished Bibliophile
RHWright
0 Kudos

AikiPen wrote:

Very interesting topic! I've been trying to figure out what to do with my son since I just ordered him the Nook Wi-If on Monday. Thanks for all the great info.

Now B&N are you listening? Since the price drop I can see lots of parents buying Nooks for kids. I think we need changes on the accounting end of things for families.

My vision of a perfect B&N account world:

-A master account with a credit card number

-The ability to create 'sub' accounts under the master account and designate the sub account as either an adult or a child. An adult account can purchase from the credit card. A child account can only purchase from a gift card.

-Each account can list their own private gift cards.

-Adult accounts can download all books in the family library

-Child accounts can only download books they purchase and anything the master account holder has designated as suitable for all family members.

I know it is only a pipe dream but I can still dream right?:smileywink:

If the nook had this ability, I probably would have bought one for my daughter for her birthday rather than getting her a new Nintendo DSLite. Though the Nintendo might have still won out, since the old one took a swim in the creek.:smileyvery-happy: Absent-minded 15-year-olds are hard on technology.

Reader 2
Escapetonook
0 Kudos

When you download books from another Nook user and copy them into My documents, is there no way for them to then be moved into My Library with the books I purchased so that there is just one listing of books instead of two?

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online:43 members 716 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: