Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
blssd2rd
0 Kudos

UNABLE TO UNREGISTER/RE-REGISTER TO CHANGE MY EMAIL ADDRESS

CHANGED EMAIL ON BN ACCT FIRST-MADE A PURCHASE AND UNABLE TO RECEIVE BECAUSE THE ADDRESSES DONT MATCH-ATTEMPTED TO UNREGISTER TO RE-REGISTER NOOK ACCOUNT TO CHANGE EMAIL ADDRESS AND CANT BECAUSE THE ADDRESSES DONT MATCH-HELP! 

Inspired Contributor
nookie01

Re: UNABLE TO UNREGISTER/RE-REGISTER TO CHANGE MY EMAIL ADDRESS

Here is the simple solution to your problem:

You need to change the email address back to the email addy that the nook was originally registered to. Do this via a computer by accessing your account information.

Once you have the email address on your account mirroring what the nook was originally registered to, go to the account information via the computer and change/update the email address.

Now go to your nook and unregister the device.

Wait a minute or two.

Go to the account info on your computer and update to reflect the email address you wish to tie into the account and your nook.

Wait a minute or two.

Go to your nook settings and select device.

Now select UNREGISTER NOOK

Follow the prompts.

Insert new email address (the one you put into the computer when you updated your account)

Now re-register your nook.

Voila! New account, and new registration.

*** the email address must be changed AFTER you unregister your nook. It does not work if you change the address first.

We had this exact problem with my daughter's nook because we registered it to my account. She tried to change the email addy to reflect her own account before she unregistered her nook. This created all sorts of problems and the only way she was able to unregister it was to change her account back to my account - then unregister.. THEN update... THEN re-register.

It is all in the sequence of how you do this.

New User
blssd2rd
0 Kudos

Thank you so much! I can read again!

Inspired Correspondent
ladytonya
0 Kudos

I wonder if this would work the same for names?  We had our BN membership in my hubby's name with my email, so my nook says Tim's Nook Store and the owner is listed as him.  I have gone back and forth with my store and tech support for 3 days now trying to fix this problem.  I wonder if I go in online and change it back to his name, then deregister the device, the change it back to mine and reregister if it will take the change?  Hmm, I'll have to try that at lunch!  If it's that simple, I am going to be so mad!  I have spent hours trying to get this problem fixed and it's been so frustrating!

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,015
0 Kudos

ladytonya wrote:

my nook says Tim's Nook Store and the owner is listed as him.

That has nothing at all to do with the account. Go to "Settings>Device>Edit your profile", make the changes, and tap "Submit".

Inspired Correspondent
ladytonya
0 Kudos

WHERE? The only thing under settings on my Nook is Device Info and those cannot be edited!  I tried what was suggested here. I went in online and changed all the names back to Tim, for both the membership and for the online account.  I then unregistered my Nook, came back online and changed the names on everything back to Tonya, and reregistered my nook. The problem is still not fixed, it still says Tim's Nook Store and the owner is Tim Kelley!  I am going crazy here!  I've been trying to fix this thing for 3 days and while it's really a small thing it is annoying me immensely!  Where else can I change this?  I don't see anything that says Settings>Device>Edit your profile anywere! Argh!

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

Do you have a NOOK or a NOOKColor?

In any case I would have thought that unregistering / reregistering would work.

You can always reset to factory settings, that should wipe anything, but you'd have to reload any music, and non B&N books you might have.

Is the name on your default credit card his?  Maybe if you put your card on the account it will change?

Scribe
frantastk
0 Kudos

ladytonya wrote:

WHERE? The only thing under settings on my Nook is Device Info and those cannot be edited!  I tried what was suggested here. I went in online and changed all the names back to Tim, for both the membership and for the online account.  I then unregistered my Nook, came back online and changed the names on everything back to Tonya, and reregistered my nook. The problem is still not fixed, it still says Tim's Nook Store and the owner is Tim Kelley!  I am going crazy here!  I've been trying to fix this thing for 3 days and while it's really a small thing it is annoying me immensely!  Where else can I change this?  I don't see anything that says Settings>Device>Edit your profile anywere! Argh!

Okay, right now I'm assuming you have the regular e-ink nook and not nook color. I have no idea how it works on the nook color. On the original nook tap setting on the lcd screen. It's the last option all the way on the right, you may have to scroll all the way over to get to it.  Tap edit profile. It is the first option. I had to scroll all the way up to get to it, since I was at the bottom of the list of settings.  A grey box will pop up on the e-ink screen that says owner and nook profile and there will be a keyboard on the lcd screen. Using the lcd keyboard delete (it's the backspace loooking key on the top right of the keyboard next to the p, it took me a while to find how to delete :smileyhappy:)the owner name and type the one you want then hit the down arrow on the lcd screen, this takes you down to the device name, delete this and type what you want. Then tap the submit button on the lcd keyboard.

Hope that helped. I'm pretty sure the directions are also in the manual somewhere.

Fran

Inspired Correspondent
ladytonya
0 Kudos

No, I have a Nook Color, not an original Nook.  I posted in here because it was a similar problem, mine being a name while the OP's was an email address so I thought maybe it would work. *sigh*  Everybody seems to think that reregistering it should work, but it doesn't. I am just getting so frustrated with this thing! I've had it since Christmas so I don't have that much stuff on it, just two purchased books and magazines and a bunch of free books that I downloaded through BN.  I had only sideloaded one book, which I of course lost with the initial reset.  What about the reset to factory?  That's what the tech support person tried to help me with this morning but I don't think it worked correctly.

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,015
0 Kudos

ladytonya wrote:

No, I have a Nook Color, not an original Nook.

In that case, you're "in the wrong pew". This forum is for the original NOOK. Most of us don't know beans about NOOKcolor, which is a totally different animal.

Try over in the NOOKcolor Tech Support forum: http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOKcolor-Technical-Support/bd-p/NOOKcolortechnicalsupport

Inspired Correspondent
ladytonya
0 Kudos

Doug, I have been all over this forum and others looking for an answer. If you read my last post, I said that I realize that this is the Nook forum, it was just a similar problem so I thought that I might found my answer.  I believe that this is an account and not a hardware issue, but I can't find anyone who will help me.

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

ladytonya wrote:

Since you have a Nook color, as Doug suggested, ask the question on the NookColor Technical Support forum, since most folks here are going to assume you have a Nook and provide instructions for that device.
I don't have a NookColor so I have no idea how you would change that information on that device.
Reader
sarevem
0 Kudos

The same thing happened to me. Customer service told me this morning that it is a know issue and that the next software update (after 1.01) should take care of the problem.

Frequent Contributor
4yesh4
0 Kudos

sarevem wrote:

The same thing happened to me. Customer service told me this morning that it is a know issue and that the next software update (after 1.01) should take care of the problem.

Step 1: change back your email address on BN.com to the old one
Step 2: on your nook go to Settings, then Device Info, then erase and de-register (make sure you are connected to a wireless internet)
Step 3: change now your email address on BN.com to the new one
Step 4: Register your device

Unanimous Decision
Contributor
MtnMomDS
0 Kudos

THANK YOU THANK YOU. What a simple solution to what was beginning to seem like a never-ending cycle to fix.
Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 4 members 189 guests
Recent signins:
Please welcome our newest community members: