Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
JCTetzlaff
0 Kudos

USB Cable Connection to Nook

I have a Classic Nook, a black-and-white with WiFi/3G.  The cable connection at the bottom of the device is extremely loose and it's hard to get the cable/plug oriented so that I can get a charge.  Any ideas?  Perhaps I need a new cable?  I tried to call Customer Service but ran out of time on an extremely long "hold" (likely because it's holiday season).  I also emailed Customer Service but haven't had much luck with that in the past.   (I often don't get an answer to my email queries at all.)

Any recommendations would be much appreciated.

Bibliophile
bklvr896

Re: USB Cable Connection to Nook

JCTetzlaff wrote:

I have a Classic Nook, a black-and-white with WiFi/3G.  The cable connection at the bottom of the device is extremely loose and it's hard to get the cable/plug oriented so that I can get a charge.  Any ideas?  Perhaps I need a new cable?  I tried to call Customer Service but ran out of time on an extremely long "hold" (likely because it's holiday season).  I also emailed Customer Service but haven't had much luck with that in the past.   (I often don't get an answer to my email queries at all.)

Any recommendations would be much appreciated.

Can you get to a store?  If so, take the Nook and the cable to the store.  They can try a different cable and determine if that is the problem.

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

The cable is pretty standard.  Take it to radio shack or any cell phone store and you can find a replacement.

Most Android phones use the same type of cable and you can usually use the Andorid charger for the nook too.

But your problem is most likely NOT the cable unfortunatly.  

Problems you are describing usually result from damage to the socket on the bottom of the nook caused by bumps or tugs when the cable is plugged in.

It would be covered by the extended warranty for sure, and MAYBE covered by the regular warranty, but they may decide it was caused by abuse.

Contributor
kd-did47
0 Kudos

I also had this problem come up over the holiday and thought it might be a bad connector - email from B&N completely unhelpful, long holds on the phone, so I went to my local B&N and a wonderfully helpful employee there checked my cable, found it to be slightly (ever so slightly) bent and that my connector worked fine with another cable he had there.

He swapped my cable for his (for FREE!) and everything works fine now, can charge and connect to my computer without a problem. 

Many thanks to the guy at the Asheville B&N for helping out!

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 49 members 243 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: