Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reader 2
cscott267
0 Kudos

Unable to Download New Content

I just got the nook. I restered it, and started shopping. I made a purchase.  It shows up in my library with the other default books.  But I cannot download any of them.  First I got a message that said "Unable to connect to Network."  My 3G strength is good. I also connected to my home wireless.  Got the same message.  I hard powered down the nook.  Powered back up.  Then I got the message saying no default credit card assigned to the account.  There is a default credit card assigne.  But just to be sure, I assigned a new credit card to the account and made it default.  Same problem.  By the way, the book I "purchased" was free.  Any ideas out there?

Mary L Hearn
Inspired Scribe
Josh_W
0 Kudos

Re: Unable to Download New Content

Did you also set up a default billing address?  And if so, does it have a middle initial?  Sometimes taking a middle initial out helps with this issue.

Also, I've seen some cases where if the default is a debit card, it's better to use a credit card. 

Inspired Bibliophile
LarryOnLI

cscott267 wrote:

I just got the nook. I registered it, and started shopping. I made a purchase.  It shows up in my library with the other default books.  But I cannot download any of them.  First I got a message that said "Unable to connect to Network."  My 3G strength is good. I also connected to my home wireless.  Got the same message.  I hard powered down the nook.  Powered back up.  Then I got the message saying no default credit card assigned to the account.  There is a default credit card assigne.  But just to be sure, I assigned a new credit card to the account and made it default.  Same problem.  By the way, the book I "purchased" was free.  Any ideas out there?

B&N is picky about the default credit card assigned to the account. Ensure the following are all true.

1. The name of the card holder for the default card exactly matches the name as it appears on the card billing statement, EXCEPT: Do not include any middle name or middle initials.
  2. The address for the default card on B&N EXACTLY matches the address on your credit card billing statement, EXCEPT: Only enter a 5 digit zip on B&N not a zip+4.

If the above is all correct and you are using a debit card, some users here have reported problems when using a bank debit card instead of a "real" credit card so you might want to look into that as well.

If you have done all this and are still having problems then you will need to contact customer support.

Reader
jilldone
0 Kudos

they are having tech. problems with their server.  it will take about 24-48 hours to repair. I am on the phone with tech. suport now

New User
lunarME
0 Kudos

I have downloaded books before. I have a card on record, and yesterday I ordered a free book in the B&N store, and the nook screen told me that I have no default card on file and It could not download the book. I just checked and  my card is on record on my acct at B&N. What is my problem?

New User
jetuser
0 Kudos

I can confirm. I talked with a rep today after getting my nook, being able to buy books, but not able to download them. They said they were doing some "maintenance" on the servers and it will be up within a few hours to 24 hours.

New User
Ever25
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Do you know if it's still down?  I purchased a book through the B&N website and this time it isn't downloading to my nook.  Then my nook froze and I had to take the battery out.

Reader
gzNY
0 Kudos

I just got off the phone with tech support -- they say the servers are still down and there is no eta to when it will be fixed. 

TDM
New User
TDM
0 Kudos

gzny, thank you for the update. I am still having trouble, too.

If anyone from BN is reading this, IF YOU HAVE A KNOWN ISSUE, PLEASE PUT AN UPDATE ON YOUR WEBSITE SO EVERYONE WILL BE AWARE!

Reader
gzNY
0 Kudos

I just got an email from BN Tech support.  The server problem is fixed.  You need to unregister your nook (you do this from the settings tab) and the re-register it.  After doing this I was able to download my library to my nook. 

New User
JOH56
0 Kudos

I have been on the phone with your call center for over 2 ½ hours tonight, not to mention the time I have spent in the last week trying to download this TEXTBOOK!!!!!

I explained a number of times that the account had to be unlocked and the call center (well, one left me on hold for a half hour since he was unable to resolve this) and the other one walked me through the SAME EXACT UNPRODUCTIVE PROCESS 7 TIMES.

I am feeling extremely frustrated, angry and disappointed. AND of course behind in my class (which, as a graduate course, costs $2243.00)

My PC says "account locked" after downloading the ereader on it:

1. Spending over two and a half hours on the phone with your call center (do you monitor them???)
  2. Being walked through the same inane and ineffective process 7 times. (what is the definition of insanity…)
  3. Now he wants me to reset my pandigital ereader to the factory settings.
  4. After explaining to your call center person that the account was locked per the screen pop-ups, he HAD NO IDEA how to unlock it. Does anyone?
  5. Now I load it on to my computer, and the ACCOUNT IS STILL LOCKED – where do I go with this? As a peddler of textbooks I would think you would have some modicum of learning or logic somewhere. Best of all the Account Locked message says to call the number I got the 2 1/2 hours worth of wasted time!
New User
JOH56
0 Kudos

I will assume that you had the same Tech "support" that I did. If they do not know they answer they put you on hold until you get tired of waiting. Or another one had me repeat the same useless process on my nook AND my computer, when it is the Account Locked message.

Their email support does the same thing. Daily apologies that they are so busy.

It REALLY sounds like they should monitor their call center and so-called support.

New User
GettingFedUp
0 Kudos

The spiel about having server problems or performing maintenance is a crock. I called customer service a few weeks ago because of "problems with payment" and the customer service rep told me the same thing, and this is 9 months after the original post above. She told me that B&N doesn't charge the card immediately, that they wait a few days because they're always behind. I just got the same "problem with payment" email A WEEK AFTER I DOWNLOADED THE BOOK! And no, there's nothing wrong with my credit card.

With my Kindle, they charge immediately - and I have never had a problem with them in the 2 years I've had it. Just a month after purchasing a NOOKcolor and I have had 2 problems with B&N "payment" nonsense for which I have to call them.

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

GettingFedUp wrote:

The spiel about having server problems or performing maintenance is a crock. I called customer service a few weeks ago because of "problems with payment" and the customer service rep told me the same thing, and this is 9 months after the original post above. She told me that B&N doesn't charge the card immediately, that they wait a few days because they're always behind. I just got the same "problem with payment" email A WEEK AFTER I DOWNLOADED THE BOOK! And no, there's nothing wrong with my credit card.

With my Kindle, they charge immediately - and I have never had a problem with them in the 2 years I've had it. Just a month after purchasing a NOOKcolor and I have had 2 problems with B&N "payment" nonsense for which I have to call them.

I've had  my Nook for over a year now (same one, no replacements) and have never had any payment or download issues with any books and I have over 300 books downloaded from B&N.  So not everyone experiences this issue.  With the exception of the last couple of weeks and Christmas backlog, my card has always been charged immediately and I am able to download the book within seconds of clicking the purchase option.

New User
kittenMS
0 Kudos

How do I download a book? I have two books on my shelves and cabbot get them downloaded them. It has benn a week and I can't seem to get it right.

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 47 members 623 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: