Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reader
Blue_AK_reader
0 Kudos

Unexpected need to download books already read!

Hello,

I hope someone else is having this problem too and can provide some insight. Even before I downloaded the software update, I would choose a book (which I know I had downloaded, and even begun to read) to read and the nook would not have it stored and would want to download it again.

This is frustrating as I do not have wi-fi at home, and usually not at my workplace, which is the middle of the Alaskan wilderness. One of the reasons I purchased my nook was so I would always have plenty of reading material, but that does not seem to be the case, if I have to keep redownloading books over and over again.

My memory states: Total Memory 1.09 GB/1.28 GB (85%). I haven't purchased a microSD card yet, but if that would solve the problem, I'd get one as soon as the mail would deliver.

Has anyone else had this problem? Are there any solutions? Is this a corrupt OS on my nook? I've read the user guide, it was not clear.

Thanks for any help,

M

Contributor
Nookified
0 Kudos

Re: Unexpected need to download books already read!

Looks like you have 85% memory free. While of course a micro would add more I dont think thats the issue. I have the same amount of memory available and have never had to re-download my books.

Is your nook registered? thats the only thing I can think of that would *maybe* cause you to keep downloading already downloaded books.

Having lived in Alaska before I know how sketchy wifi can be up there.Half the time my phone wouldnt even work the farther from Anchorage I got.  I'd say call tech support. Its definatly not normal NOOK behavior.Worse comes to worse and they ship ya a new one.

Maybe someone NOOkier than I has a better option but tech support is the only thing I can think of off the top of my head.

Good luck!

Inspired Wordsmith
BrandieC
0 Kudos

@Blue_AK_reader:

Have you tried doing a hard reset of your nook by holding down the button at the top for 20 seconds?  That will turn the nook off entirely; then press the button again to start up the nook.

The reason I ask is that this happened to me for the first time yesterday when I was trying to transfer a book from my nook to my sister-in-law's.  Suddenly, all 300 of my books were saying they needed to download and then giving me a content error when I tried.  I did a hard reset, and, voila, all of my books are now opening just fine again.

Bibliophile
laurieb52
0 Kudos

If you are using 3G to download books,if you aren't in a stong signal area, when you purchase books, and then check in your library for recently purchased items, often it only downloads the cover and title. You may subsequently have to fully download the book once you click on it to read.

However, once it has been fully downloaded, you should not have to redownload it, unless you archive it. When a book is archived, it requires a redownload to read.

Life's a chair of bowlies...and it's all about Plan B!
Reader
Blue_AK_reader
0 Kudos

All,

Thanks. I don't have the 3G version, just the wi-fi, since 3G outside of the major cities in Alaska doesn't exist. Also, I hadn't archived any of the books, I understand that process. The books were simply in my general library, and though I had begun to read one before, was still prompted for a download.

I had tried a complete turn off on the nook yesterday, didn't seem to make much difference. Just tried it again, and lost all my Barnes and Noble books. I proceeded to bang my forehead against the desk. I also lost my registration, and my nook told me I had to register to access my B & N library. It has all the titles again now, after registering, but now they all need to be downloaded again.

Not too pleased with my ereader at this point. Reliability seems poor. Which is a bummer, as I am a voracious reader and need a good supply of books!

Thanks,

M

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 38 members 1,084 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: