Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
MusicChick
0 Kudos

Unlocking Books on the NOOK

So, we just bought my dad a NOOK for Father's day and he just purchased a new book. YAY! Yeah, if only it would let him read it. It keeps popping up "enter your full name and credit card number to unlock your book" which should be easy, but we have entered it in about 17 times and it STILL will not unlock!
Has this ever happened to anyone? HELP, this one is so much cooler, but he is about ready to take it back for a Kindle... :'(

THANKS.

Frequent Contributor
geertm
0 Kudos

Re: Unlocking Books on the NOOK

MusicChick wrote:

So, we just bought my dad a NOOK for Father's day and he just purchased a new book. YAY! Yeah, if only it would let him read it. It keeps popping up "enter your full name and credit card number to unlock your book" which should be easy, but we have entered it in about 17 times and it STILL will not unlock!
Has this ever happened to anyone? HELP, this one is so much cooler, but he is about ready to take it back for a Kindle... :'(

THANKS.

The books are encrypted with the credit card number and name as registered into your B&N account. So the name you need to enter can be different from the one on your credit card. Unfortunately B&N is not very clear about this.

Frequent Contributor
geertm
0 Kudos

Forgot to mention this in my previous post.

If you login to your B&N account (on the B&N website) and go to the "My Nook library" page, the unlock information (credit card number and name) is mentioned on top of the page.

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

MusicChick wrote:

THANKS.

Which Nook are you referring to?  How did you load the book on to the Nook?  Did you load via WiFi or did you sideload it from your computer?  If you sideloaded it, if I remember correctly, you need to enter the name on your Barnes and Noble account, not the name on your credit card.  It's somewhat confusing and not clear in the instructions.

If you downloaded it over WiFi, then I don't believe it should be asking for that information at all.   

New User
sbfaninwy
0 Kudos

Thank you, BKLVR.  I tried about 10 times or more and I was SO frustrated!  I simply unplugged the nook from the computer and I could read the book.  Silly! 

New User
Lanne
0 Kudos

Dear Geertm,

I got the same problem, mine won´t unlock either. Maybe it´s because my name is different then the owner of the credit card. (I don`t have a credit card). And you referred to the top of the page of the My Nook Library to see the name and creditcard number to unlock the books, but at the moment I'm on the My Nook My library page, and I don't see it anywhere. Can you help me?

By the way, are your Dutch? Your name sounds Dutch (I'm Dutch).

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,013

Lanne wrote:

you referred to the top of the page of the My Nook Library to see the name and creditcard number to unlock the books, but at the moment I'm on the My Nook My library page, and I don't see it anywhere. Can you help me?

This is an old thread. B&N has redesigned their web site twice since this thread was active.

Go to My Account (you'll probably have to log in again). In the row labeled "Account Settings", your name appears underneath "Personal Information", and the current default credit card appears underneath "Payment Settings".

Frequent Contributor
geertm
0 Kudos

Lanne wrote:

Dear Geertm,

I got the same problem, mine won´t unlock either. Maybe it´s because my name is different then the owner of the credit card. (I don`t have a credit card). And you referred to the top of the page of the My Nook Library to see the name and creditcard number to unlock the books, but at the moment I'm on the My Nook My library page, and I don't see it anywhere. Can you help me?

By the way, are your Dutch? Your name sounds Dutch (I'm Dutch).

Yes, I am indeed Dutch :smileyhappy:

Like doug_pardee has already mentioned: You cannot find this information on the B&N website anymore.

As far as I know you should use the name as registered in the credit card info of your B&N account.

Otherwise try the name of the credit card. One of the two should work. Leave out any middle initials.

New User
HYRPMZ
0 Kudos

Re: Unlocking SIDE-LOADED Books on the NOOK

Thanks! Your instructions worked great! I SIDE-LOADED a Nook purchased book and after 3 tries of putting in my name as it appears on my credit card... I decided to look here for answers because it wasn't working!.

You are correct in that if you SIDE-LOADED a purchased book that you need to use your B&N account name instead of your name as it appears on your credit card (which for me included my middle initial). B&N needs to FIX this as this is very misleading!!! ...and frustrating for users. I plan on side-loading every book as I don't use (and refuse to use) the dangerous wireless "radiation" form of communication. I like my cells.

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

HYRPMZ wrote:

Thanks! Your instructions worked great! I SIDE-LOADED a Nook purchased book and after 3 tries of putting in my name as it appears on my credit card... I decided to look here for answers because it wasn't working!.

You are correct in that if you SIDE-LOADED a purchased book that you need to use your B&N account name instead of your name as it appears on your credit card (which for me included my middle initial). B&N needs to FIX this as this is very misleading!!! ...and frustrating for users. I plan on side-loading every book as I don't use (and refuse to use) the dangerous wireless "radiation" form of communication. I like my cells.

I think it may be by design, as the DRM seems to use a combination of credit card information and account information.  They should, however, make it clear that you need to add your B&N Account name when the device asks for the information.

New User
Bob-C
0 Kudos

Example: You name is John Smith, you bought a book on VISA. The Account Setting with say something like "Visa John Smith". You need to type the "Visa" part along with the name just as it is listed. If you used a different credit card like Discover, it will say "Discover John Smith". You need to type "Discover John Smith" into the nook when unlocking.
Bibliophile
bklvr896

Bobc first, you are responding to a year old thread. 2nd, that's not correct. You enter the name on you BN account, then you enter the cc number that was on file when you downloaded the book. There's no VISA John Smith anywhere, it's simply the name on your BN account.
New User
girlatwar
0 Kudos

I am having the hardest time with this. Only one of the books is doing this and the cc that I used expired last year. Is there any fix for this?

Inspired Scribe
kamas716

[ Edited ]

girlatwar wrote:

I am having the hardest time with this. Only one of the books is doing this and the cc that I used expired last year. Is there any fix for this?

Even though the card expired, you still use the card number that you used to purchase (or last unarchive) the eBook.

http://www.goodreads.com/kamas716
Inspired Bibliophile
LarryOnLI
0 Kudos

girlatwar wrote:

If you no longer have the card number of the card that was in effect (the default card) when you downloaded your book.

Then all you need to do is re-download the book from B&N to get a copy locked with the new card on the account.

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
0 Kudos

LarryOnLI wrote:

girlatwar wrote:

If you no longer have the card number of the card that was in effect (the default card) when you downloaded your book.

Then all you need to do is re-download the book from B&N to get a copy locked with the new card on the account.

You can do this by archiving the book, syncing your nook, then unarchiving and syncing again.  But, back up your books first, just in case.

New User
taylorwl
0 Kudos

I finally got it to work by downloading the file onto my computer from my BN library online and added it to my nook manually from there.

Reader
jmrdv
0 Kudos

I fully realize how old this line of messages is but i just had the problem and the Nook service people were clueless at first - at some stage their list of Lets try stuff worked by having me archive and then re-download the book.  Their line that you must have wi-Fi on to read downloaded books is plain wrong. WHe i told the lady that i read books in places where there is no wi-fi (like on airplanes) she had to stop and think what to say.  Barnes should either fix this somehow and soon.

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 4 members 730 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: