Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
Emack21
0 Kudos

User Not Activated Error

I went through all the steps to download ADE, activated both my computer and my Nook, and successfully checked out a book from the elibrary.  I can open and read it fine on my Mac.  I was able to place the book on my Nook but every time I try to read the book I get the error: "User not activated".

I've tried everything.  Someone please help me!

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,013
0 Kudos

Re: User Not Activated Error

Reader 4
MissyMayG

Re: User Not Activated Error - this works I swear!

As a Mac user these combined instructions from another string in the forums here is what fixed it for me. 

Key was unhiding the hidden folders.  I was only deleting one of the TWO folders that need to be reset. We can't see the first one listed below.  Therefore I wasn't getting the automatic pop-up box to activate device.

It works if you do this:

1) Use these instructions (http://www.macworld.com/article/51830/2006/07/showallfinder.html) to "unhide" the hidden folders, and then you can delete the folders described below, and delete from the Trash folder

2)  Plug your NOOK into your computer.  Navigate to the NOOK drive and delete the folders '.adobe-digital-editions' and 'Digital Editions'. 

3)  Start Digital Editions with the NOOK still plugged in.  
Adobe Digital Editions launches and detects the eBook device. The 'Device Setup Assistant' dialog box is displayed.

4)  Click 'Authorize Device'.
  Adobe Digital Editions activates the eBook device. You can now transfer DRM-protected Adobe eBooks to the device.

5)  Note that both Adobe Digital Editions and the eBook device must be activated with the same Adobe ID to transfer DRM-protected Adobe eBooks to the device.

6)  You should get a "nook" entry in Adobe Digital Editions' left column.  Drag e-books from your Digital Editions library (right column) to the "nook" entry in the left column.

Reader
schrodingers_magpie
0 Kudos

I so appreciate finding this, thank you!  I've been wrangling with this for a ridiculous amount of time.

Sadly the Macworld article is no longer available. There are numerous places online to find ways to unhide your Mac files, but I liked this one: http://www.macinstruct.com/node/411.

New User
fenwaygirl88
0 Kudos

It's been over a year since you wrote this solution, but I just wanted to say how helpful it has been!  Thank you!!!

New User
missjenn1772
0 Kudos

THANK YOU!!!!
New User
larry47
0 Kudos

Worked on Windows 7. Saved tons of time. Thanks.

New User
Gallivanter
0 Kudos

These instructions work (:heart:), but the link for instructions on how to find and be able to delete the hidden file is broken.

These are instructions for viewing hidden files using Launchpad's Terminal:

Show Hidden Files on your Mac

Launch the Terminal and enter these commands exactly as shown. The first command activates the ability to see the hidden files:
defaults write com.apple.Finder AppleShowAllFiles TRUE

Now you must relaunch the Finder by killing it, this is how the changes take effect:
killall Finder

If you want to hide hidden files again (those preceded with a .) and go back to the default Mac settings, you can just type the following:
defaults write com.apple.Finder AppleShowAllFiles FALSE

Again you will need to kill the Finder so that it can relaunch for changes to take effect:
killall Finder

That’s all there is to it!

For the Nook, a temporary option for viewing hidden files (SHIFT-COMMAND-PERIOD) does not allow you to delete them. 

New User
LAT72
0 Kudos

Thank goodness this worked!! I was beginning to  lose hope.

New User
JoyAZ
0 Kudos

Thank you so much for the troubleshooting tips!  After working on trying to resolve this for hours through tips on Adobe's website, I was lost, and was truly getting frustrated until I discovered your message!  What a relief!

New User
Carolina_Girl_JI
0 Kudos

You are the bomb! My Nook is suddenly useful. Thank you!
New User
displacedtexan
0 Kudos

Thank you! I was about to try to get money refunded for my ebook!

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 11 members 432 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: