Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
nteuscher
0 Kudos

User not activated error with ADE

I continue to get the "User not activated" error with ADE-related content. Here is what I have done:

1. Installed ADE on my iMac

2. Created an Adobe Digital ID

3. Authorized my nook with ADE

4. Checked out book from my local library (Overdrive)

5. Can read book in ADE on my computer within ADE

6. Copied book to my nook within ADE

7. Opened the book on my nook and receive message "User not activated"

I have tried matching email addresses (Adobe ID and nook ID), de-authorizing computer, de-authorizing nook, restarting nook, deleting content, deleting Digital Editions folders, pulled hair out, yelled at iMac, growled at family members, etc.

I cannot seem to find any solutions on the board ... Does anyone have a suggestion for me? Should I start over completely? (deauthorize everything, uninstall everything) Any help would be appreciated!!

Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum
New User
nteuscher
0 Kudos

Re: User not activated error with ADE

FrogAlum,

Thank you for your post; however, it does not solve the problem. Within the thread you recommend, there is another individual with the exact same problem (link). I do not see a solution. It appears that for some reason the nook is not being authorized properly by ADE. I come to that conclusion because I can download and read the content on my iMac without any problems. Yet, when I transfer it to my Nook (using the drag-n-drop method within ADE), it is unreadable on my nook with the "User not activated" error message.

Perhaps I need to change something on my nook when I deauthorize it. Does ADE create anything besides the Digital Editions folder?

New User
nteuscher
0 Kudos

I haven't solved the problem, but I have narrowed it down.

I was trying to use ADE on my iMac and encountered all of these problems. I de-authorized my nook, deleted all ADE files/folders from the nook. Then I installed ADE on a PC (Windows Vista) and connected my nook to authorize it again. I copied the library book onto the Windows ADE and then onto the nook. The nook properly recognized the book and I was able to read it.

Clearly there is a problem with ADE on the mac (OS X snow leopard) and the nook. I don't know if it is an ADE issue or a nook issue.

If you are experiencing this issue while using a mac, just connect to a PC and then try again. Hopefully that will fix the user not activated error.

Distinguished Correspondent
very-simple
0 Kudos

These days I use ADE for my iMac without any problems (and never go near a windows computer), 

BUT

When I first installed it, I had the same problem, and had to completely deauthorize myself and my nook, make sure to delete all adobe-related folders from my nook, and uninstall and reinstall the entire program.

Then it worked correctly, and hasn't had any problems since.  I think something might go screwy with the fact that B&N 'preinstalls' a ' Digital Editions' folder on the nook, which might cause ADE to hiccup with regard to the user.  

Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum
0 Kudos

very-simple wrote:

These days I use ADE for my iMac without any problems (and never go near a windows computer), 

BUT

When I first installed it, I had the same problem, and had to completely deauthorize myself and my nook, make sure to delete all adobe-related folders from my nook, and uninstall and reinstall the entire program.

Then it worked correctly, and hasn't had any problems since.  I think something might go screwy with the fact that B&N 'preinstalls' a ' Digital Editions' folder on the nook, which might cause ADE to hiccup with regard to the user.  

That is the biggie but it's in my post and the OP says that didn't help so I don't know what to think...

Contributor
GenevieveKydd
0 Kudos

I'm having the exact same issue. I bought a Nook two weeks ago and am ready to pull my hair out. One of the big draws was being able to borrow ebooks from the library, but I'm being thwarted by this "user not activated" error. I've done everything I can think of, and yet...nothing. Help!

New User
nteuscher
0 Kudos

GenevieveKydd,

I know how you feel. I can tell you what worked for me, but it is no guarantee it will work for you. I connected my Nook to a Windows computer. I deleted all of the files and folders associated with "Digital Editions" (It was just a main folder and some subfolders.) Then I downloaded Adobe Digital Editions on that Windows computer. I installed ADE and followed the instructions to Authorize the Nook. I then downloaded a library book and added it to my Nook. My Nook was able to use the library book.  --- All of that was completed on a Windows computer. Since that time, I started using my iMac to transfer library books using ADE, and haven't had any problems. It works just as advertised.

For me ADE on the iMac wouldn't properly authorize my Nook. For another reader, (see post above), they were able to complete these steps using their iMac. I don't understand why it works sometimes, and other times it does not. Another option might be to start over on a different Mac computer (e.g. use your macbook). I hope that helps you.

Contributor
GenevieveKydd
0 Kudos

It sounds as though I need to deauthorize both my PC, the Mac, and the Nook and just start over. I tried deleting the folders with the PC, but that didn't work either. I called BN's tech support last night, and the answer I got wasn't helpful. The guy told me the error code was a fatal error, and I should find another source for books. My library uses Overdrive, though, which is the standard. I'm pretty sure Overdrive isn't the problem.
Distinguished Correspondent
very-simple
0 Kudos

Genevieve - 

I have a mac too, and initially had some problems with ADE, but once I got it working right, I haven't had a problem since then (about 9 months).  

In addition to deauthorizing everything and starting over, I would also suggest deleting the "Digital Editions" folder and the ".adobe_digital_editions" folder from your nook directly.

On a mac, the second folder will be hidden, because it begins with a period.  Use these instructions to show all files on a mac (credit, icebike (I think!), who pointed me to it in the first place), which will let you see that folder.

Then, reauthorize everything in ADE, and ADE should recreate these folders itself.  This should (hopefully) solve your problem.

I think where the hiccup happens is that B&N, as a convenience, preinstalls the Digital Editions folder on your nook.  But sometimes the preinstalled folder has information that conflicts with your actual Adobe registration information, which causes it to think you're the wrong user.  By letting Adobe create the files from scratch, it will create files that are in complete concordance with ADE on your computer.  This is, however, merely my own hypothesis.  

Contributor
GenevieveKydd
0 Kudos

After reauthorizing and deauthorizing all three devices several times, it looks like I finally have it working on the PC. Now, the question remains if I can get it working on the Mac. I'll try that next.

Contributor
GenevieveKydd
0 Kudos

Fixed!

It appears as though ADE was attempting to authorize the Nook on both computers. Once I deauthorized everything and reauthorized--starting with the PC--when I plugged it into my Mac again, it only needed to authorize the computer...not the Nook. Everything is working now as it should.

Thanks for the help, everyone! :smileyhappy:

New User
TimAuld
0 Kudos

I have a Mac running Snow Leopard.  After much reading and much retrying the fix was  deleting the "Digital Editions" folder and the ".adobe_digital_editions" folder on the Nook and the then let it re-register itself to ADE.  See Very-simple's post above, the answers are all there.

Regards ... Tim.

New User
Pete44145

I know this is an old thread... but wanted to post something out there for anyone who might be getting the Nook for xmas.

I had the same problem on my PC.  What fixed the problem? 

1. Exit out of Adobe Digital Editions

2. Connect Nook to PC

3. Delete 2 directories.  Digital Editons and .adobe.digital.editions...  (something along those lines)

4. Open ADE

5. Connect Nook

6. Reauthorize

Success.  Good luck, really, really disappointed that I had this many problems with the device.

Reader
daverbooks

[ Edited ]

I had these same problems using a Macbook Pro (snow leopard 10.5.8) but I just got it to work!

Everybody says the "User not activated" error is because the nook isn't authorized properly and it must be de-authorized and the way to de-authorize it is to remove the .adobe-digital-editions folder.  They're right, but it's trickier to do than it needs to be if you're using a Mac.

When you connect the nook to your mac, you will see a drive called "nook" and on that drive is a folder called "Digital Editions".  It is one of the folders to delete.  The other one you won't see at all because OS X hides files that start with "." from normal view.  It's easy to think you've deleted everything properly because "Digital Editions" is close enough to this mysterious .adobe-digital-editions file everybody is talking about but you cannot see.   

To delete this folder, run the program called Terminal (which is in the Utilities folder inside the Applications folder) and then enter:  

rm -r /Volumes/nook/.adobe-digital-editions

Delete the folder called Digital Editions the way you normally delete files.

After you've deleted both .adobe-digital-editions and Digital Editions,disconnect your nook from the Mac.  Reconnect it and start ADE again.  ADE should act all shocked that there's a nook there and ask you if you want to authorize it - which you do.  You shoud now be able to drag ADE books onto the nook without any error messages.

I'm now able to check out books from my library and read them on my new nook.  I hope this helps other Mac users!

New User
EscapismThroughBooks
0 Kudos

Pete44145 wrote:

I know this is an old thread... but wanted to post something out there for anyone who might be getting the Nook for xmas.

2. Connect Nook to PC

3. Delete 2 directories.  Digital Editons and .adobe.digital.editions...  (something along those lines)

4. Open ADE

5. Connect Nook

6. Reauthorize

Success.  Good luck, really, really disappointed that I had this many problems with the device.

Thank you!!! This worked for me! I was getting so frustrated!

New User
EscapismThroughBooks
0 Kudos

I also wanted to add - there was a restart window behind ADE that we didn't see until after we had problems accessing the files on the nook - this might have caused the issue?

I would recommend installing ADE, restarting, deleting the ADE/Digital Editions folders from the device and then trying to sync the nook with ADE.

Hopefully this method would avoid issues from the start.

New User
Chrisee
0 Kudos

Thanks so much for the posting....it finally works

New User
jenneye182
0 Kudos

Pete44145 wrote:

2. Connect Nook to PC

4. Open ADE

5. Connect Nook

6. Reauthorize

THANK YOU!!! I did get one for Christmas and ran into the same issue; followed the steps and it works! Thank you!!!

Reader
Denise_W

I was pulling my hair out, as I didn't understand some of the posts I read (ADE never asked to authorize the device before). 

Here's what I did (based on advice from this message board - thanks everyone!): Uninstalled ADE from my Windows based laptop, connected my Nook to computer, deleted both folders from the Nook that referenced Adobe Digital Editions.  Reinstalled ADE, reconnected my Nook, and it asked me to authorize my device (finally!), so I authorized the device.  ADE loaded the book I had already downloaded from the library, so I just dragged it from the 'All' window to my Nook.  It then appeared in 'My Documents' on my Nook (complete with the author's name), and is now available to read. Woot woot! :smileyhappy:

Good luck all, and thanks to everyone who tried to help.  Hope I can help some others as well!

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 50 members 652 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: