Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
juliegag
0 Kudos

Re: User not activated error with ADE for MAC

Had this error with my Mac.  Here is the solution to get to the .adobe-digital-edition file that is hidden on the Mac:

Here's what should work on a Mac:

1.  Close Adobe Digital Editions if it is open.
2.  Connect your NOOK to your Mac.
3.  Open the NOOK drive that shows up on your desktop.
4.  Delete the 'Digital Editions' folder from the NOOK drive.
5.  Next, you will need to delete the hidden files that you can't see.  To do this first go to your Applications folder -> Utilities and open Terminal.
At the Terminal prompt, type in the following, paying very close attention to spaces, punctuation, and capitalization: cd /Volumes/nook press return.
6.  Type: ls -al and press return to see all of the files in the NOOK folder.  You should see a folder called  .adobe-digital-editions
7.  To delete the folder, type rm -fr .adobe-digital-editions and press return.
8.  Now, type: 'exit' and hit return.
9.  Relaunch Adobe Digital Editions and you should now be prompted to authorize your nook, which in turn should resolve the user activation error.

New User
LinAnnMN
0 Kudos

Re: User not activated error with ADE for MAC

Okay, I did all that and now ADE doesn't see the NOOK. It did before, downloaded items just kept giving me the error message, "user not activated". Tried twiced but ADE now doesn't even "see" the NOOK. UGh!

Help, the books are downloaded from the library and visible on my MAC so I can read them there but want to view them on the NOOK :smileysad:

New User
eyeseenow
0 Kudos

Re: User not activated error with ADE

This didn't work for me.  I had issues with ADE two days ago and couldn't even copy my library book to the nook.  Figured that out and was reading my book yesterday.  This morning went to read some more and am getting the user not activated error.  I've tried deleting ADE from the nook, the computer, I've started from scratch and am STILL getting this error.  :smileysad:  Ready to throw my nook out the window I'm so frustrated with it.

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

eyeseenow wrote:

This didn't work for me.  I had issues with ADE two days ago and couldn't even copy my library book to the nook.  Figured that out and was reading my book yesterday.  This morning went to read some more and am getting the user not activated error.  I've tried deleting ADE from the nook, the computer, I've started from scratch and am STILL getting this error.  :smileysad:  Ready to throw my nook out the window I'm so frustrated with it.

Why are you ready to throw your Nook out the Window?  It sounds like the problem is ADE not the Nook.

New User
Blueracer3
0 Kudos

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!  This was a super easy and quick fix! 

Contributor
laberday
0 Kudos

The problem is totally in the Nook. I was reading a library book in my newest Nook Simple Touch this morning. Now a few hours later, I have the "user not authorized error." I have not hooked up to a PC in the interum. This is my third Nook and will be my last if I can't use Overdrive. Any reader or tablet will do for purchased books.
New User
FisherGirl26
0 Kudos

I am now getting this same error, I have followed all the steps described within this list and nothing is working.  I have been waiting for customer support for about an hour, but am frustrated.  My library book will be auto checked in in only a few days......desparate for help!!

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 23 members 564 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: