Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reader 2
jewel215
0 Kudos

Using Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) - Library eBooks and non B&N eBooks

I have been trying to open several library books I have downloaded through Overdrive. They open in ADE, but when I try to transfer them to my nook I get an error message that says "No permission to copy" I have tried un-installing and re-installing ADE, and even deleting the adobe digital folder on my nook, but I still get the same message. I can read the books on my computer, but I purposely bought the nook to read them instead of starring at a computer screen and getting migraines. Can anyone help? 

Wordsmith
ProfReader
0 Kudos

Re: Using Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) - Library eBooks and non B&N eBooks

jewel215 wrote:

I have been trying to open several library books I have downloaded through Overdrive. They open in ADE, but when I try to transfer them to my nook I get an error message that says "No permission to copy" I have tried un-installing and re-installing ADE, and even deleting the adobe digital folder on my nook, but I still get the same message. I can read the books on my computer, but I purposely bought the nook to read them instead of starring at a computer screen and getting migraines. Can anyone help? 

Delete both .adobe-digital-editions and Digital Editions folders on the Nook and it should ask to register the Nook when you plug it back in.

Reader 2
jewel215
0 Kudos

I tried that. When I opened ADE I got a message that flashed very fast saying that the document was licensed for another......It flashed too quickly for me to read the entire thing. I closed it out and tried opening it again and all the books appeared, but I still couldn't copy them. I got the same message about not having permission to copy them.

Inspired Scribe
geatdanemomDT
0 Kudos

jewel215 wrote:

I tried that. When I opened ADE I got a message that flashed very fast saying that the document was licensed for another......It flashed too quickly for me to read the entire thing. I closed it out and tried opening it again and all the books appeared, but I still couldn't copy them. I got the same message about not having permission to copy them.

I will get that message once in awhile, I click OK or what ever it is asking for and continue, it does not seem to do anything and does not stop me from loading my nooks.

http://quiltinharmony.blogspot.com/
1 Nook 3G/Wi/Fi
Nook Color stock
Nook Color / N2A

Wordsmith
ProfReader
0 Kudos

jewel215 wrote:

you are draging the books to the Nook icon in ADE right?

Distinguished Bibliophile
ABthree
0 Kudos

@jewel215

Welcome!  :smileyhappy:

jewel215 wrote:

That message only means that ADE is trying to read the files on your Nook and failing, because it can't read B&N's DRM.  You can ignore it -- don't exit from ADE.  When ADE finishes cycling through your Nook, it should be ready to let you transfer files to My Documents.

+LORD, preserve the good in their goodness, and+
+in your kindness, make the wicked become good.+
-- St. Basil the Great+
Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

geatdanemomDT wrote:

jewel215 wrote:

I will get that message once in awhile, I click OK or what ever it is asking for and continue, it does not seem to do anything and does not stop me from loading my nooks.

That message generally comes up after you connected your Nook and ADE is trying to recognize all the books. It can't access the B&N books, so you get a message that document is license for another user.  As greatdanemomDT said, just click ok and move past it, it doesn't affect accessing the library books.

Also, when you setup ADE, did you authorize with an Adobe ID?  Did you go to the Adobe site and create an Adobe ID if you didn't already have one and authorize the computer with that ID.  I believe there is some issue that if you don't use an Adobe ID it puts you in some type of anonymous mode that causes problems.

Reader 2
jewel215
0 Kudos

I created an Adobe ID previously. I have tried everything listed on here and even de authorized my computer, trashed the files on my nook and the ADE file then re-downloaded the application, but it didn't ask me to authorize my nook so I must have missed something along the way. I don't understand what happened since I have previously downloaded from project Gutenberg without any problems. Could it be something the application that doesn't like working with a Mac?

Distinguished Bibliophile
ABthree
0 Kudos

jewel215 wrote:

I created an Adobe ID previously. I have tried everything listed on here and even de authorized my computer, trashed the files on my nook and the ADE file then re-downloaded the application, but it didn't ask me to authorize my nook so I must have missed something along the way. I don't understand what happened since I have previously downloaded from project Gutenberg without any problems. Could it be something the application that doesn't like working with a Mac?

You know that Project Gutenberg books don't need to go through ADE, right?  You can drag and drop them directly into My Documents on your Nook.

+LORD, preserve the good in their goodness, and+
+in your kindness, make the wicked become good.+
-- St. Basil the Great+
New User
coachtee99
0 Kudos

I have tried everything listed here and still get the "No permission to copy document here" message.  Please help

Frequent Contributor
geertm
0 Kudos

coachtee99 wrote:

I have tried everything listed here and still get the "No permission to copy document here" message.  Please help

Do you copy your books  to the Nook from within ADE? You cannot just copy them the Nook, you have to copy the books to the Nook from within ADE (on the left side within ADE you will see the Nook).

New User
runtypig
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I'm having the same issue as the original poster.  My Nook shows up in ADE, but it won't let me move any books to it.  I get the same message - No permission to copy document here.  Grrr.  Any help is much appreciated!!!

Edit - I got to this thread through googling, and realized it's for the 1st Edition Nook. I have the NST, if that changes anything?

New User
Gail22
0 Kudos

I'm having the same problem and when I click ok, it just goes back and I cannot move my library books
New User
mbenay
0 Kudos

Until tonight, I've never had a problem moving library check-out books from ADE to my Nook (which is a 2nd Edition). Tonight I can't move a book to my Nook. When I try, I get the same message as the other people who've posted: "no permission to copy document here".

Has anyone figured out the way to do this? I've been waiting months for this book and am not eager to have to sit at my computer to read it.

Thanks!

New User
NeoRB
0 Kudos

I have the same problem...will try to delete the books that I previously took out from the library , didnt finish and checked them out again
Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 82 members 658 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: