Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
Robbyn
0 Kudos

Using Nook in Ontario, Canada

Good Day,

I have read several out-dated blogs about the nook not working in Canada. The wi-fi works fine, but the 3G network doesnt? Would this be true?

And when purchasing the e-books many of the titles says only available in the US. Is this going to be corrected?

Thank you,

Robbyn

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,013
0 Kudos

Re: Using Nook in Ontario, Canada

[ Edited ]

There are a number of other threads going on this topic right now.

The NOOK is sold only in the US, and is intended for use in the US. Barnes & Noble is a US-only bookstore.

Barnes & Noble does not have 3G contracts outside of the US, so the 3G is useless outside of the US or US Territories.

Most of Barnes & Noble's e-books come with restrictions from the publisher that they can only be sold within the US. A few are available in Canada. I did a survey yesterday morning, and out of the top 50 best-sellers on B&N's list, only 2 (#20 and #50) were eligible for sale to Canada.

As for the future, we don't know. Barnes & Noble is extremely tight-lipped about what they're planning to do. Even the people working in the stores didn't know about last Monday's price drop, introduction of the NOOK Wi-Fi, and the 1.4 software upgrade, until Monday morning.

Wordsmith
Michael-V
0 Kudos

@Robbyn,

Thank you for posting.  We're striving to improve the reading experience and your input is valuable. 

Having a Canadian billing address and CC would not preclude a customer from placing an eBook order.  When you create an account on BN.com you can input a Canadian credit card with a Canadian billing address and save them as your defaults.

If you are living in or visiting Canada you can shop our eBook store and download eBooks to your B&N eReader supported devices, including the iPhone, iPod Touch, BlackBerry, Mac and PC. This also includes the NOOK.

Although we are not selling NOOK in Canada (or anywhere outside of the United States) at this time, if you are using NOOK in Canada you will be able to sync to your B&N eBooks library and access our eBook store via Wi-Fi (not 3G).

At this time, NOOK is only available for shipping to the US. We understand the interest for our customers outside of the US and are working to bring NOOK to everyone.

When you travel abroad, you can read any files that are already on your NOOK. You can connect to Wi-Fi hotspots that do not use proxy security settings, such as those commonly used in hotels, and download eBooks and subscriptions already in your online digital Library. You cannot, however, purchase additional eBooks and subscriptions outside of the U.S.

The NOOK can be used to read ebooks purchased through other sites as long as the format is either PDB, PDF, secured PDF, or ePub.  Additionally, titles can be downloaded and transferred to NOOK via the supplied USB cable.

Reader
Travellor
0 Kudos

This is for all Canadians thinking about  buying the Nook or frustrated with the one they bought.  I travel A LOT.  I bought two Nook books while on a trip to the US because of the announcment made by B&N about the availabilty of purchasing ebooks in Canada.  No where was it ever stated that it would be LIMITED availability.  I felt this was rather misleading! Despite the following I still cannot buy any books online:

• I registered my Nook book with a Canadian address.
  • My B&N account accepted a Canadian billing address and Canadian credit card.

But everytime I go to buy an ebook it says that my billing address is not acceptable.

I accepted that 3G was not available in Canada and am fine with that, especially when I will be using mostly WiFi due to my extensive travels.  This was transparent on the part of the company and I was able to make the educated decision on importance when deciding on the purchase.

Saddly, thoughts of returning BOTH machines are in my head.  I hate to retract such a gift from someone, but it was meant to be productive and fun, not useless.  I have friends with Kindle and Sony ereaders and no complaints on how they are working for Canadian residents. 

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

Travellor wrote:

I hate to retract such a gift from someone, but it was meant to be productive and fun, not useless.  I have friends with Kindle and Sony ereaders and no complaints on how they are working for Canadian residents. 

I'm not belittling your other concerns in the slightest.  Occasional books you can't download are acceptable.  Significant portions of the catalog aren't when the limitations aren't explicitly disclosed.  You wouldn't have bought NOOK if you'd known that this many ebooks were unavailable in Canada.

However, to the point I quoted.  NOOK is no more useless in Canada than Sony.  Only one of the Sony readers has wireless as I understand it.  NOOK users can purchase books at Kobo, Sony and any bookseller that sells .epubs (except Apple's iBooks) and load them via USB cable.  That's the same process the non-wireless Sony's use to get content on them.

If nothing else, NOOK is less expensive than the Sony.

But that doesn't detract from the fact that B&N should be much more up-front about how many ebooks they are authorized to sell in Canada.  (I understand some of it is related to Canadian law, but the point still is that they can't sell them, you know?)

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 33 members 898 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: